Mailing List Archive

FROM TO daily time window (possible?)
I would like to confine the statitics to only consider page visits
within a certain daily time window, e.g. 7 am to 7 pm.

Is this possible with a FROM/TO syntax?

TIA

Christoph

Re: FROM TO daily time window (possible?) [ In reply to ]
Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I would like to confine the statitics to only consider page visits
> within a certain daily time window, e.g. 7 am to 7 pm.
>
> Is this possible with a FROM/TO syntax?
Hi Christoph,

FROM/TO can only specify a contiguous timeframe, so you would be limited
to a single 7am to 7pm window on a given day. To extract certain times
on multiple days you will need to filter the logs prior to piping them
to analog, or using logfile preprocessing
http://analog.cx/docs/logfile.html#UNCOMPRESS.

--
Klaus Johannes Rusch
KlausRusch@atmedia.net

Re: FROM TO daily time window (possible?) [ In reply to ]
Klaus Johannes Rusch schrieb:
> Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>> I would like to confine the statitics to only consider page visits
>> within a certain daily time window, e.g. 7 am to 7 pm.
>>
>> Is this possible with a FROM/TO syntax?
> Hi Christoph,
>
> FROM/TO can only specify a contiguous timeframe, so you would be
> limited to a single 7am to 7pm window on a given day. To extract
> certain times on multiple days you will need to filter the logs prior
> to piping them to analog, or using logfile preprocessing
> http://analog.cx/docs/logfile.html#UNCOMPRESS.

Thanks, Klaus. I was already suspecting that it wouldn't work with FROM/TO.
I tried FROM *:0700 TO *:1900 or FROM :0700 TO :1900 but this triggered
syntax errors,
although it wouldn't problably very difficult to implement this as a
feature, but I'm not sure how "frozen" analog6.0 is, anyway :)
I couldn't get from the link you gave me, though, in the first place,
how this would lead me to a
means to preprocess the logs?

I could run a self crafted program that greps/seds/awks through the logs
in the analog.bat job
and have analog.bat (.exe) work on the proprocessed files.

But I didn't find a config-keyword that specifies a preprocessor on the
log file.

Re: FROM TO daily time window (possible?) [ In reply to ]
Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I couldn't get from the link you gave me, though, in the first place,
> how this would lead me to a
> means to preprocess the logs?
Correct. If you cannot get to the documentation at
http://analog.cx/docs/logfile.html#UNCOMPRESS, check the page "Choosing
a logfile" in your local analog documentation. Basically you specify the
preprocessor as the program to "uncompress" a file (of course if the
files are really compressed you will need to the actual uncompression
yourself then), e.g.

UNCOMPRESS *.gz /var/sample/filter.sh

Re: FROM TO daily time window (possible?) [ In reply to ]
Klaus Johannes Rusch schrieb:
> Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>> I couldn't get from the link you gave me, though, in the first place,
>> how this would lead me to a
>> means to preprocess the logs?
> Correct. If you cannot get to the documentation at
> http://analog.cx/docs/logfile.html#UNCOMPRESS, check the page
> "Choosing a logfile" in your local analog documentation. Basically you
> specify the preprocessor as the program to "uncompress" a file (of
> course if the files are really compressed you will need to the actual
> uncompression yourself then), e.g.
>
> UNCOMPRESS *.gz /var/sample/filter.sh

I see the trick. Thanks.

--