Mailing List Archive

Report duration
I installed Analog on my Centos 5 server and got good reports, but the
duration was only about a month, which meant that the monthly report
gave traffic volumes for this month plus the mirror section of last
month: on, say, the 5th, the most popular month was the last one, while
on the 27th, it was this one.

I could see that this might well be because the log rotation deleted
logs older than 4 weeks.

Accordingly I altered the logging system to retain site logs for a full
quarter.

To my dismay, Analog reports now cover a shorter period, not a longer
one. Prima facie, the reports now only cover the current month, not the
whole period in the logs.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong - and probably stupid.

Google didn't offer me any help I could recognise - again, that may well
be my fault.

Similarly, searching the Analog documentation didn't show me anything I
recognised as being the answer (ROWS might be relevant, but I don't
understand how to use that - when it used to give me two rows, but now
doesn't.)

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Roger

Re: Report duration [ In reply to ]
ROWS has to do with data in a single report. FROM and TO are used constrain
the time period analog reports on. Check if you have those set.

More likely analog is not seeing all your log files. If you enable DEBUG
then analog will tell you exactly which files it's reading. That's where I'd
start.

Hope that helps,

--
Jeremy Wadsack

Re: Report duration [ In reply to ]
Jeremy Wadsack wrote:
> ROWS has to do with data in a single report. FROM and TO are used
> constrain the time period analog reports on. Check if you have those set.
>
> More likely analog is not seeing all your log files. If you enable DEBUG
> then analog will tell you exactly which files it's reading. That's where
> I'd start.
>
> Hope that helps,

Thanks Jeremy, it does. It let me know what to look for to discover
that the problem seems to be nothing to do with with Analog, but
something I still haven't found to do with logrotate. The log files are
all being processed, but for some reason as yet unidentified, they don't
contain any more info than Analog is showing - two of the 5 weekly files
that exist (building towards 17) are empty...

Ho hum...

Roger