Mailing List Archive

Any possibility of recognising Windows Vista?
I've greatly valued Analog as my website statistics program for
many years now, and nowadays I'm using version 6. There is just
one little thing that I wonder if it could be addressed, and that
is, getting Windows Vista appearing in the Operating System
report. I've looked around to see if there was some little hack
that I could do in the translation files, but I see nothing there
that I could usefully change or add to.

I'm assuming that the Vista entries in my logfiles are the ones
listed by Analog as 'Unknown Windows'. So, any chance of my
changing this? I wouldn't mind, actually, if I just had the
Windows versions showing as their NT version numbers as they
arrive in the logfiles - at least I'd know which is which -
though the version names certainly add clarity to the report.

Many thanks,

Philip Goddard
http://www.philipgoddard.com

Re: Any possibility of recognising Windows Vista? [ In reply to ]
On 10/9/2008 4:25 AM, Philip Goddard wrote:
> I've greatly valued Analog as my website statistics program for many
> years now, and nowadays I'm using version 6. There is just one little
> thing that I wonder if it could be addressed, and that is, getting
> Windows Vista appearing in the Operating System report. I've looked
> around to see if there was some little hack that I could do in the
> translation files, but I see nothing there that I could usefully change
> or add to.
>
> I'm assuming that the Vista entries in my logfiles are the ones listed
> by Analog as 'Unknown Windows'. So, any chance of my changing this? I
> wouldn't mind, actually, if I just had the Windows versions showing as
> their NT version numbers as they arrive in the logfiles - at least I'd
> know which is which - though the version names certainly add clarity to
> the report.

The issue first came up almost 2 years ago, and John Harman posted a few
lines of source code that added Windows Vista to the OS Report.

http://lists.meer.net/pipermail/analog-help/2006-November/020007.html

For Windows users who don't typically compile their own source code,
there was a discussion on the list in early 2007, and Jeroen Feelders
and Paul Wade both compiled the windows version and posted it on their
own websites:

http://lists.meer.net/pipermail/analog-help/2007-January/020118.html
http://lists.meer.net/pipermail/analog-help/2007-January/020122.html

Chris Tilley posted a version with some addition changes this time last
year:
http://lists.meer.net/pipermail/analog-help/2007-October/020754.html

Paul Wade posted a link to a version that includes some of these changes:
http://lists.meer.net/pipermail/analog-help/2007-October/020804.html

I posted instructions for compiling Analog on Windows yourself, though
it included links to specific versions of the various tools that may or
may not be still available, but I imagine that the current versions of
the various components would do the just just fine.

http://lists.meer.net/pipermail/analog-help/2007-January/020117.html

Aengus
Re: Any possibility of recognising Windows Vista? [ In reply to ]
Very many thanks, Aengus. I now have Paul's version on my system and it does
what I want - though I take the point about Windows Server being included in the
Vista count.

My thanks and best wishes to all involved.

Philip.
http://www.philipgoddard.com