Mailing List Archive

Re: How to generate report for "Bytes received, including request and headers"
On 8/25/2008 5:20 AM, Arnab Ganguly wrote:
> Hi All,
> I want to generate report for %I ->
> Bytes received, including request and headerspresent in the Apache access
> log.Which is the corresponding field report in analog need to be kept on for
> this.

Analog doesn't have a "bytes in" report. The File Size report can be
used to report on either "Bytes In", or "Bytes Out", but it defaults to
"Bytes Out". If you want it to report on "Bytes In" instead, then you
just need to craft a LOGFORMAT that specifies %b in the "Bytes In" field.

That explains why your earlier reports weren't giving you what you
expected - the "File Size" report is based on the %b field, and the %b
fields in your example lines were 117, 6918, 117, 60 and 124.

I'm not sure that this is explicitly mentioned anywhere in the
documentation, but it's because for the vast majority of websites, the
"inbound bandwidth" is irrelevant - it's not even logged in most cases.
For those sites that care more about inbound than outbound bandwidth,
it's easy to modify the LOGFORMAT to report on it.

Aengus
Re: How to generate report for "Bytes received, including request and headers" [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the update.I did some what like that and saw the result coming
correct.I just swapped the %I with %b and gave me the correct result.Not
sure as the approach is correct or not.

Where %I ->Bytes received, including request and headers, cannot be zero.
You need to enable mod_logio to use this.

and %b->Size of response in bytes
as per the

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats

Let me know your views.