How to generate report for "Bytes received, including request and headers"
Hi All,
I want to generate report for %I ->
Bytes received, including request and headerspresent in the Apache access
log.Which is the corresponding field report in analog need to be kept on for
this.
Thanks
Arnab
Re: How to generate report for "Bytes received, including request and headers" [ In reply to ]
Arnab Ganguly <aganguly01@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the update.I did some what like that and saw the result
>> coming correct.I just swapped the %I with %b and gave me the correct
>> result.Not sure as the approach is correct or not.
>>
>> Where %I ->Bytes received, including request and headers, cannot be
>> zero. You need to enable mod_logio to use this.
>>
>> and %b->Size of response in bytes
>> as per the
>>
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats
>>
>> Let me know your views.

As I said earlier, for most websites, the "Bytes Received" is ignored, because it's usually trivial compared to the "Bytes Sent". Unless you are allowing people to upload files to your site (photos, or code submissions, for example), then you'll usually only get a couple of dozen bytes of request for every couple of Kbytes of response. As the Apache documentation confirms, you have to use the mod_logio extension, rather than the base mod_log_config, if you want to log the inbound bytes as well as the (default) outbound bytes.

Swapping the %I and the %b is the best way to get a report on the inbound bytes, if that information is important. You can't repotr on inbound and outbound bytes at the same time in Analog.

Aengus