Mailing List Archive

Help on reporting failures correctly from Xferlog format
Hi,

Analog 6.0 is working great, except that it is not reporting failures. In fact, when I parse the FTP (xferlog) logfiles, it reports that they were all successful. Is there anything that I can do to either fix the logfiles themselves (would prefer not to do this), or is there something I can do with the LOGFORMAT to tell it how to do this correctly.

Here is an excerpt of the logfile:

Tue May 6 00:01:07 2008 1 d75-157-1-2.bchsia.telus.net 0 /ftp/ftp2/pub/information_storage/software/fwrev.bin b _ o a IEUser@ ftp 0 * c
Tue May 6 00:01:11 2008 1 adsl-71-146-156-211.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net 0 /ftp/ftp2/pub/information_storage/software/fwrev.bin b _ o a IEUser@ ftp 0 * c
Tue May 6 00:01:18 2008 9 183.red-83-32-231.dynamicip.rima-tde.net 32768 /ftp/ftp2/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33867.exe b _ o a IEUser@ ftp 0 * i

Here is an excerpt of the configuration file that I am using:

LOGFORMAT (%j %M %d %h:%n:%j %Y %t %S %b %r %j %j o %j %u ftp %j %j)
LOGFORMAT (%j %j %j %j %j %j %j %j %j %j %j i%j)
LOGFILE C:\data\hpdotcom\temp\may6\*.xferlog
OUTFILE Report2.html
HOSTNAME "HP.COM FTP Analysis of May 6, 2008"
#
# You probably don't need to change anything below this until you are
# experienced.
#
ERRFILE errors.txt
GENSUMLINES ALL

Lastly, the report looks like this:

Successful requests: 3,652,172
Average successful requests per day: 1,787,602
Successful requests for pages: 17,901
Average successful requests for pages per day: 8,761
Distinct files requested: 31,498
Distinct hosts served: 759,657
Corrupt logfile lines: 1
Data transferred: 25.32 terabytes
Average data transferred per day: 12.39 terabytes

Thank you in advance,

kimmer
RE: Help on reporting failures correctly from Xferlog format [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Well, I have figured out one way around this and that is to convert the last character in the log to an http return code. I didn't want to have to do that, but it seems to work and then obviously I added a %c to the LOGFORMAT command. If anyone knows of another way to do this without changing the input file(s), please let me know.

So I Changed from this:
Tue May 6 00:01:11 2008 1 adsl-71-146-156-211.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net 0 /ftp/ftp2/pub/information_storage/software/fwrev.bin b _ o a IEUser@ ftp 0 * c
Tue May 6 00:01:18 2008 9 183.red-83-32-231.dynamicip.rima-tde.net 32768 /ftp/ftp2/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33867.exe b _ o a IEUser@ ftp 0 * i

To:
Tue May 6 00:01:11 2008 1 adsl-71-146-156-211.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net 0 /ftp/ftp2/pub/information_storage/software/fwrev.bin b _ o a IEUser@ ftp 0 * 200
Tue May 6 00:01:18 2008 9 183.red-83-32-231.dynamicip.rima-tde.net 32768 /ftp/ftp2/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33867.exe b _ o a IEUser@ ftp 0 * 404

thanks,

kimmer

________________________________

Re: RE: Help on reporting failures correctly from Xferlog format [ In reply to ]
On 8/7/2008 1:40 AM, Read, Kimberly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, I have figured out one way around this and that is to convert the
> last character in the log to an http return code. I didn't want to have
> to do that, but it seems to work and then obviously I added a %c to the
> LOGFORMAT command. If anyone knows of another way to do this without
> changing the input file(s), please let me know.

Your original message indicates that you just want to ignore the records
that end in i, so I presume that you only want to count the records that
end in c.

> LOGFORMAT (%j %M %d %h:%n:%j %Y %t %S %b %r %j %j o %j %u ftp %j %j)
> LOGFORMAT (%j %j %j %j %j %j %j %j %j %j %j i%j)

Just change the first record so that it will only match records that end
in c, like this:
LOGFORMAT (%j %M %d %h:%n:%j %Y %t %S %b %r %j %j o %j %u ftp %j c)

(Altenatively, just swapping the order of your LOGFORMAt commands might
work, as it should cause the i records to be matched as "junk" before
they are parsed as real records.

Aengus