in this weeks New Scientist magazine about an interesting and novel
appliance of web log analysis that I thought some of you might find amusing.

It seems that traffic to the European-Mediterranean Seismological
Centre's (EMSC) website spikes in the immediate aftermath of a tremor,
and by using GEO-IP techniques to map the IP addresses, researchers can
locate the area where the earthquake occurred.

http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/mg19826626.300-web-hits-used-to-pinpoint-earthquakes.html

Aengus

Re: Web hits used to pinpoint earthquakes [ In reply to ]
2008/7/2 Aengus <analog07@eircom.net>:
> This is not entirely relevant to this list, but there was a short piece in
> this weeks New Scientist magazine about an interesting and novel appliance
> of web log analysis that I thought some of you might find amusing.
>
> It seems that traffic to the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre's
> (EMSC) website spikes in the immediate aftermath of a tremor, and by using
> GEO-IP techniques to map the IP addresses, researchers can locate the area
> where the earthquake occurred.
>
> http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/mg19826626.300-web-hits-used-to-pinpoint-earthquakes.html

Well, it beats using web analytics to decide whom to kill next!
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0880578/

--
Stephen Turner
Re: Web hits used to pinpoint earthquakes [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 02:49:42PM +0100, Stephen Turner wrote:
> 2008/7/2 Aengus <analog07@eircom.net>:
> > This is not entirely relevant to this list, but there was a short piece in
> > this weeks New Scientist magazine about an interesting and novel appliance
> > of web log analysis that I thought some of you might find amusing.
> >
> > It seems that traffic to the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre's
> > (EMSC) website spikes in the immediate aftermath of a tremor, and by using
> > GEO-IP techniques to map the IP addresses, researchers can locate the area
> > where the earthquake occurred.
> >
> > http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/mg19826626.300-web-hits-used-to-pinpoint-earthquakes.html
> >

> Well, it beats using web analytics to decide whom to kill next!
> http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0880578/

The *real* question is: did analog appear in either the news article or
the movie? *grins*

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russell@loosenut.com

"'Kung Fu' means skill from effort. 'Kung Foo' means skill from
badass-programming-powers..."