Mailing List Archive

Odd stats - need help
I showing some odd stats in my analog, as compared to a simple "impression
tracker" I have scripted on a page.

Quite simply, I pull a random image from a database and display it on the
screen, then I update that database record by adding 1 to the impression
count. Very simple.

1. get random image from database
2. display image
3. update database impression count (+1)

But I get very skewed results, here are my impression counts for one
particular banner through my simple script:
Impressions: 100121

Yet Analog shows this:
4297 0.16% 19/Mar/08 15:50 /banners/468x60.jpg

So I've recorded over 100,000 impressions, but analog only recorded 4297
requests.

Anyone have an explanation or general direction I can look to sort this out?

Re: Odd stats - need help [ In reply to ]
steve <steve@webnbeyond.com> wrote:
> I showing some odd stats in my analog, as compared to a simple
> "impression tracker" I have scripted on a page.
>
> Quite simply, I pull a random image from a database and display it on
> the screen, then I update that database record by adding 1 to the
> impression count. Very simple.
>
> 1. get random image from database
> 2. display image
> 3. update database impression count (+1)
>
> But I get very skewed results, here are my impression counts for one
> particular banner through my simple script:
> Impressions: 100121
>
> Yet Analog shows this:
> 4297 0.16% 19/Mar/08 15:50 /banners/468x60.jpg
>
> So I've recorded over 100,000 impressions, but analog only recorded
> 4297 requests.

Actually, Analog said that your web server only recorded 4297 requests.

It's not immediately obvious how a request for 468x60.jpg is supposed to trigger the update process you describe above - .jpg is usually a static file type. But a useful sanity check would be to see what Analog shows as the number of requests for the page that the .jpg file is embedded in. Is it more in line with the 4297 number or the 100121 number?

Aengus

Re: Odd stats - need help [ In reply to ]
Steve,

Could it be that its due to 'repeat visitors'? - check to see if '304ISSUCCESS' in your analog.cfg is set to OFF. I had a different php/db problem where files were downloaded from the database and even though the file was different the browser did not 'refresh' it - that could be the cause of a '304'.

Also, have you any excludes setup on the analog.cfg (I made that mistake once)

Rgds

Alan Wright
FEHS Technician

Re: Odd stats - need help [ In reply to ]
Analog only reports what's in the web server logfiles. I would have a
look in the logfiles to see what's being reported when you get one of
those images.

--
Stephen Turner