Mailing List Archive

Log file problem
Hi

I am new to using Analog and to the list. I have been having problems getting the stats from our church website.

The setup is as follows:

The website is hosted on a Linux server running LAMP. Below is an example of a line from the log file in use:

stpeterskinver.org: [21/Oct/2007:01:53:29 +0100] 72.36.115.74 - - "GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.0" 404 204 "-" "CazoodleBot/CazoodleBot-0.1 (CazoodleBot Crawler; http://www.cazoodle.com/cazoodlebot; cazoodlebot@cazoodle.com)"

No matter what LOGFORMAT I use I keep getting error messages about corrupt lines. I checked with the website host and they said the log file format is plain text and it has a .log extension.

I am copying the log files from the ftp server and then using the LOGFILE to point to a folder in my home directory. I would also like the output to go to the same folder.

Where am I going wrong??

Many thanks for any help

Cheers

Mo

Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html
Re: Log file problem [ In reply to ]
Mo Awkati <mawkati@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am new to using Analog and to the list. I have been having problems
> getting the stats from our church website.
>
> The setup is as follows:
>
> The website is hosted on a Linux server running LAMP. Below is an
> example of a line from the log file in use:
>
> stpeterskinver.org: [21/Oct/2007:01:53:29 +0100] 72.36.115.74 - -
> "GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.0" 404 204 "-" "CazoodleBot/CazoodleBot-0.1
> (CazoodleBot Crawler; http://www.cazoodle.com/cazoodlebot;
> cazoodlebot@cazoodle.com)"
>
> No matter what LOGFORMAT I use I keep getting error messages about
> corrupt lines. I checked with the website host and they said the log
> file format is plain text and it has a .log extension.

The log file is a plain text file with a .log extension, but that's not what "logfile format" means, as you appear to know, but your service provider doesn't :-(. The problem is that you have a "standard" logformat with an additional field at the start - the "stpeterskinver.org: " that your ISP is using to separate your logentries from everyone elses, but in a location that can't be recognized automatically.

This LOGFORMAT matches the line you provided:
LOGFORMAT (%v: [%d/%M/%Y:%h:%n:%j] %S %j %j "%j %r %j" %c %b "%f" "%B")

> I am copying the log files from the ftp server and then using the
> LOGFILE to point to a folder in my home directory. I would also like
> the output to go to the same folder.

You can tell Analog where to put it's output with the OUTFILE command, or +O command line parameter. But if you put it in a different location, you may need to set the IMAGEDIR and CHARTDIR and LOCALCHARTDIR settings too.

Aengus