Mailing List Archive

wiki mirroring plan
Sure! I meant to be clearer. Practicing my citing/footnoting skills: since
it turns out that a zwiki upgrade on zope.org is not easy due to zope
version dependency[1], I'm now pursuing the suggestion of Andrew[2],
Lennart[3] and Michael[4] to harvest the wiki content off zope.org and host
it on a modern zwiki server as a step towards our goal.

I plan to start with the zope 3 developer wiki, the most active zope.org
wiki. I'll mirror it as-is on the joyful.com server, transferring the wiki
content by wget, export or whatever works, preserving things like
hierarchy, subscribers and so on as far as possible. I'll seek a repeatable
process, as I expect to do it more than once. Once the mirrored wiki is in
place, I'll add any anti-spam and usability configuration that seems
helpful. Then I'll announce it here. It will have some preliminary url like
zope3.zwiki.org. (I think we should explore how bring the many zope wikis
together under wiki.zope.org, but later.)

One warning: the joyful.com zope server, which hosts zwiki.org,
zopewiki.org and some community wikis, is a hosted VPS with quite limited
RAM, so it won't be fast. But should be good enough for the moment.

This is my current plan, and I would love any and all help or suggestions -
join me on #zwiki or #zope-web irc channels if you can. Any better plans
also welcome.

-Simon

[1].. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.websites/2867
[2].. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.websites/2862
[3].. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.websites/2854
[4].. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.websites/2864

Re: wiki mirroring plan [ In reply to ]
Simon Michael wrote:
> Sure! I meant to be clearer. Practicing my citing/footnoting skills:
> since it turns out that a zwiki upgrade on zope.org is not easy due to
> zope version dependency[1], I'm now pursuing the suggestion of
> Andrew[2], Lennart[3] and Michael[4] to harvest the wiki content off
> zope.org and host it on a modern zwiki server as a step towards our goal.
>
> I plan to start with the zope 3 developer wiki, the most active zope.org
> wiki. I'll mirror it as-is on the joyful.com server, transferring the
> wiki content by wget, export or whatever works, preserving things like
> hierarchy, subscribers and so on as far as possible. I'll seek a
> repeatable process, as I expect to do it more than once. Once the
> mirrored wiki is in place, I'll add any anti-spam and usability
> configuration that seems helpful. Then I'll announce it here. It will
> have some preliminary url like zope3.zwiki.org. (I think we should
> explore how bring the many zope wikis together under wiki.zope.org, but
> later.)
>
> One warning: the joyful.com zope server, which hosts zwiki.org,
> zopewiki.org and some community wikis, is a hosted VPS with quite
> limited RAM, so it won't be fast. But should be good enough for the moment.
>
> This is my current plan, and I would love any and all help or
> suggestions - join me on #zwiki or #zope-web irc channels if you can.
> Any better plans also welcome.

Thanks very much for doing this.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton mailto:jim@zope.com Python Powered!
CTO (540) 361-1714 http://www.python.org
Re: zsyncer ? [ In reply to ]
Simon Michael wrote:
> wiki. I'll mirror it as-is on the joyful.com server, transferring the
> wiki content by wget, export or whatever works, preserving things like

Transferring the objects by ZSyncer would be the most efficient way to do
this by far, I think. We would need to get (a zope 2.6 compatible version
of) ZSyncer installed on zope.org. Could this be done ?

I last saw it at http://zopewiki.org/zsyncer , the sourceforge link there
seems down right now.

Re: wiki mirroring plan [ In reply to ]
Or, could I get import/export or manage permissions permission at
http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture ?
I have ZMI access but can't export.

Re: wiki mirroring plan [ In reply to ]
Simon Michael wrote:
> Or, could I get import/export or manage permissions permission at
> http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture
> ? I have ZMI access but can't export.

I'll work on that.

Jim