Mailing List Archive

serving up static files from www.zope.org
Hi there,

The DNS situation is under control, so we should be able to do stuff
with <foo>.zope.org soon. What it does need is servers that can actually
host content, but that's not what I'm going to ask in this mail.

What we need as a minimum very soon is a way to serve static files from
www.zope.org/foundation. At first I thought there was no apache that
could take of that, but then Chris Withers got out the real truth: there is.

So, what's needed next to the DNS Czar (Justizin) is a Static Site Czar.
What I need from the Static Site Czar is:

* someone who has or gains access so they can configure static sites,
and give the rest of us minimum access so we can upload pages.

* a single point of contact I can just ask to do stuff. Like, we have
www.zope.org/foundation, and this is the HTML that should go into it,
please make it work.

The expectation is that the Static Site Czar will have less work to do
in the future, as we probably eventually will move these bits of
zope.org to be hosted by a content management system. This just seems to
be the most straightforward intermediate solution.

So, who is volunteering to be Static Czar?

Regards,

Martijn
> Hi there,
>
> The DNS situation is under control, so we should be able to do stuff
> with <foo>.zope.org soon. What it does need is servers that can actually
> host content, but that's not what I'm going to ask in this mail.
>
> What we need as a minimum very soon is a way to serve static files from
> www.zope.org/foundation. At first I thought there was no apache that
> could take of that, but then Chris Withers got out the real truth: there is.
>
> So, what's needed next to the DNS Czar (Justizin) is a Static Site Czar.
> What I need from the Static Site Czar is:
>
> * someone who has or gains access so they can configure static sites,
> and give the rest of us minimum access so we can upload pages.
>
> * a single point of contact I can just ask to do stuff. Like, we have
> www.zope.org/foundation, and this is the HTML that should go into it,
> please make it work.
>
> The expectation is that the Static Site Czar will have less work to do
> in the future, as we probably eventually will move these bits of
> zope.org to be hosted by a content management system. This just seems to
> be the most straightforward intermediate solution.
>
> So, who is volunteering to be Static Czar?

I don't want to take all the cookies, but like I said, I already own a
bunch of apaches, including siggraph.org and turing.acm.org, as a
volunteer. The latter probably contains a thousand sites and requires
very little attention - one more will barely weigh in.

Does it have to be Czar? ;d

--
Justizin, Independent Interactivity Architect
ACM SIGGRAPH SysMgr, Reporter
Justizin wrote:
> On 9/27/06, Martijn Faassen <faassen@infrae.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> So, who is volunteering to be Static Czar?
>
> I don't want to take all the cookies, but like I said, I already own a
> bunch of apaches, including siggraph.org and turing.acm.org, as a
> volunteer. The latter probably contains a thousand sites and requires
> very little attention - one more will barely weigh in.
>
> Does it have to be Czar? ;d

No, we can make it serf if you prefer. Probably DNS admin and Apache
admin is better. :) Thanks for the offer! We'll give it a day and see
who else volunteers. If nobody, I'll certainly take you up on it.

Regards.

Martijn

Justizin wrote:
> I don't want to take all the cookies, but like I said, I already own a
> bunch of apaches, including siggraph.org and turing.acm.org, as a
> volunteer.

I'd prefer the stuff we're talking about to live ideally on ZC's hardware...

cheers,

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Chris Withers wrote:
> Justizin wrote:
>> I don't want to take all the cookies, but like I said, I already own a
>> bunch of apaches, including siggraph.org and turing.acm.org, as a
>> volunteer.
>
> I'd prefer the stuff we're talking about to live ideally on ZC's
> hardware...

I don't think Justizin was suggesting we run this stuff off other hardware.

On the medium to long term, I *would* like to pull in other hardware
besides ZC's, by the way. Of course that would need to be on the basis
of a well-supported machine. Eventually the ZF will want to take over
the zope.org hosting, and probably not from within the context of ZC's
hosting environment.

Regards,

Martijn
> Chris Withers wrote:
> > Justizin wrote:
> >> I don't want to take all the cookies, but like I said, I already own a
> >> bunch of apaches, including siggraph.org and turing.acm.org, as a
> >> volunteer.
> >
> > I'd prefer the stuff we're talking about to live ideally on ZC's
> > hardware...
>
> I don't think Justizin was suggesting we run this stuff off other hardware.

Nah, I simply meant that I don't mind being responsible for another
Apache installation / configuration.

> On the medium to long term, I *would* like to pull in other hardware
> besides ZC's, by the way. Of course that would need to be on the basis
> of a well-supported machine. Eventually the ZF will want to take over
> the zope.org hosting, and probably not from within the context of ZC's
> hosting environment.

I will take the next opportunity I have to bring this up with ACM HQ.
We have about fifty servers in Verizon / NYC, and this might be a good
way for us to begin contributing to the community at an organizational
level. :)

Justizin wrote:
> On 9/28/06, Martijn Faassen <faassen@infrae.com> wrote:
>> Chris Withers wrote:
>> >
>> > I'd prefer the stuff we're talking about to live ideally on ZC's
>> > hardware...
>>
>> I don't think Justizin was suggesting we run this stuff off other
>> hardware.
>>

> Nah, I simply meant that I don't mind being responsible for another
> Apache installation / configuration.

Okay, since nobody else stepped up, you're now the Apache static file
admin. The first step is to get you set up with access permissions. I'll
go see who can help you there. I assume you're willing to sign a Zope
Corporation agreement before you get access? The stuff is running on
their hosting infrastructure right now and they want to be careful. The
first thing I must do is acutally hunt up that agreement, which I've
never seen myself. :)

>> On the medium to long term, I *would* like to pull in other hardware
>> besides ZC's, by the way. Of course that would need to be on the basis
>> of a well-supported machine. Eventually the ZF will want to take over
>> the zope.org hosting, and probably not from within the context of ZC's
>> hosting environment.
>
> I will take the next opportunity I have to bring this up with ACM HQ.
> We have about fifty servers in Verizon / NYC, and this might be a good
> way for us to begin contributing to the community at an organizational
> level. :)

Great!

Regards,

Martijn

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 13:25 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> The
> first thing I must do is acutally hunt up that agreement, which I've
> never seen myself. :)

Hi,

http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Subversion/ContributorIntroduction

with the pdf agreement:

http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Subversion/Contributor.pdf

Regards,
Darryl

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> No, we can make it serf if you prefer. Probably DNS admin and Apache
> admin is better. :) Thanks for the offer! We'll give it a day and see
> who else volunteers. If nobody, I'll certainly take you up on it.

I can certainly help admin an Apache config if needed and if I have
suitable login details...

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> On the medium to long term, I *would* like to pull in other hardware
> besides ZC's, by the way.

OK, but who apart from ZC is offering hardware of a similar resilience?

cheers,

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Justizin wrote:
> I will take the next opportunity I have to bring this up with ACM HQ.
> We have about fifty servers in Verizon / NYC, and this might be a good
> way for us to begin contributing to the community at an organizational
> level. :)

OK, but what happens if you/they get bored of Zope?

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > On the medium to long term, I *would* like to pull in other hardware
> > besides ZC's, by the way.
>
> OK, but who apart from ZC is offering hardware of a similar resilience?

Possibly the Association for Computing Machinery. ;)

Darryl Cousins wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 13:25 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> The
>> first thing I must do is acutally hunt up that agreement, which I've
>> never seen myself. :)
>
> Hi,
>
> http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Subversion/ContributorIntroduction
>
> with the pdf agreement:
>
> http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Subversion/Contributor.pdf

Thanks, but no, this is the SVN contributor agreement. We're talking
about access permissions to the hosting environment, which have some
other, well hidden, agreement. :)

Regards,

Martijn

Chris Withers wrote:
> Justizin wrote:
>> I will take the next opportunity I have to bring this up with ACM HQ.
>> We have about fifty servers in Verizon / NYC, and this might be a good
>> way for us to begin contributing to the community at an organizational
>> level. :)
>
> OK, but what happens if you/they get bored of Zope?

ACM is smart enough to discuss some eventualities, and the ZF would
naturally as well should ACM make an offer. :)

Regards,

Martijn
> Chris Withers wrote:
> > Justizin wrote:
> >> I will take the next opportunity I have to bring this up with ACM HQ.
> >> We have about fifty servers in Verizon / NYC, and this might be a good
> >> way for us to begin contributing to the community at an organizational
> >> level. :)
> >
> > OK, but what happens if you/they get bored of Zope?
>
> ACM is smart enough to discuss some eventualities, and the ZF would
> naturally as well should ACM make an offer. :)

I'm working on a proposal which would make services generally
available to F/OSS projects. It's going to take some time. The ACM
itself isn't using Zope yet, so don't worry about us / them getting
bored with it too quickly. Our big project is scheduled to launch in
2011.