Mailing List Archive

Apache, anyone?
Lennart Regebro wrote:
> Personally, I don't care where www.zope.org is currently located, and
> I also think we should replace it part by part with microsites, like
> wiki.zope.org, bugs.zope.org, news.zope.org, products.zope.org and so
> on,

Be careful the multiple domain names, it prevents sensible cookie-based
auth. For that reason alone, I'd prefer to see zope.org/wiki,
zope.org/bugs, zope.org/news, etc instead.

It really feels like we need a foundation-admin'ed Apache in front of
everything somewhere, just to handle rewriting/static content/etc. Is
that a possiblity?

cheers,

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Re: Apache, anyone? [ In reply to ]
On 9/25/06, Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Be careful the multiple domain names, it prevents sensible cookie-based
> auth. For that reason alone, I'd prefer to see zope.org/wiki,
> zope.org/bugs, zope.org/news, etc instead.

Can't you set the cookie for just zope.org? That's what I'm doing on a
project right now, and that works fine...
--
Lennart Regebro, Nuxeo http://www.nuxeo.com/
CPS Content Management http://www.cps-project.org/
Re: Apache, anyone? [ In reply to ]
On 9/25/06, Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
> > Personally, I don't care where www.zope.org is currently located, and
> > I also think we should replace it part by part with microsites, like
> > wiki.zope.org, bugs.zope.org, news.zope.org, products.zope.org and so
> > on,
>
> Be careful the multiple domain names, it prevents sensible cookie-based
> auth. For that reason alone, I'd prefer to see zope.org/wiki,
> zope.org/bugs, zope.org/news, etc instead.

Isn't it possible to set a cookie for ".zope.org" vs, say, "www.zope.org" ?

I'm pretty sure I know some people doing this at:

http://linklink.timesys.com +
http://builder.timesys.com

and also:

http://www.fsf.org/ +
http://wiki.fsf.org/

> It really feels like we need a foundation-admin'ed Apache in front of
> everything somewhere, just to handle rewriting/static content/etc. Is
> that a possiblity?

I own a lot of Apaches already, I would not mind.

--
Justizin, Independent Interactivity Architect
ACM SIGGRAPH SysMgr, Reporter
Re: Re: Apache, anyone? [ In reply to ]
Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 9/25/06, Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
>> Be careful the multiple domain names, it prevents sensible cookie-based
>> auth. For that reason alone, I'd prefer to see zope.org/wiki,
>> zope.org/bugs, zope.org/news, etc instead.
>
> Can't you set the cookie for just zope.org? That's what I'm doing on a
> project right now, and that works fine...

Cool, didn't know that worked :-)

Does it work in all the major browsers?

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk
Re: Apache, anyone? [ In reply to ]
Chris Withers wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
>> Personally, I don't care where www.zope.org is currently located, and
>> I also think we should replace it part by part with microsites, like
>> wiki.zope.org, bugs.zope.org, news.zope.org, products.zope.org and so
>> on,
>
> Be careful the multiple domain names, it prevents sensible cookie-based
> auth. For that reason alone, I'd prefer to see zope.org/wiki,
> zope.org/bugs, zope.org/news, etc instead.

Good point, though it depends on whether we want authentication. I
imagine we do want that in case with the wiki.

> It really feels like we need a foundation-admin'ed Apache in front of
> everything somewhere, just to handle rewriting/static content/etc. Is
> that a possiblity?

I want to move in that direction, but it's not a near-term possibility.
We can rewire things inside of Squid though if we asked overworked ZC
admins nicely..

Regards,

Martijn