starting up with zopectl start. Unfortunately after a few minutes the
instance dies without any messages in the log files. I tried to increase
the log level but it has no effect.

The instance should listen on port 8080. But I never encountered a listen
on that port when I start up zope. I have no idea where to search now.

I'm not very familiar with zope. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Herbie
Re: Troubles with a Zope-2.7.7-final instance [ In reply to ]
First thing is to start it with runzope, rather than zopectl, and you
will get error messages on the console.

If that does not identify the problem.

Try just installing zope. If that works, then the next step is to
stop the process, and replace the zodb with your zodb. fix up the
permissions and try restarting.

Remember to install any extensions or products you might have.

Hope that helps and is understandable.

On 3/17/14, 9:05 AM, Herbert Liechti wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have some troubles with a customers system whos maintainer is no longer
> available. There was a zope 2.7.7 instance running there until last week.
> The system was rebooted after a long time an the instance did not come back
> online.
>
> I tried different things and after all I compiled python2.4 and all
> dependend stuff (I found all sources on the system). Now the instance is
> starting up with zopectl start. Unfortunately after a few minutes the
> instance dies without any messages in the log files. I tried to increase
> the log level but it has no effect.
>
> The instance should listen on port 8080. But I never encountered a listen
> on that port when I start up zope. I have no idea where to search now.
>
> I'm not very familiar with zope. Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Herbie

I run
http://Django.SpecialtyJobMarkets.com

Regards
Christopher Lozinski

The future of Zope
http://ZOPACHE.COM

On Digital Design
http://OOHDL.COM
Re: Troubles with a Zope-2.7.7-final instance [ In reply to ]
>On 3/17/14, 9:05 AM, Herbert Liechti wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I have some troubles

Just an additional thing:

If the problem is ZODB related (means only occurs if your applications zodb is used and not in a fresh, empty instance) you may make shure that the ZODB is not corrupt by i.e.:

- export the whole ZODB (from Zope/ZMI "root" - "export") into a zexp, create a fresh Zope instance with mkzopeinstance, copy all Products and Extensensions into the new instance, copy the zexp export from var into "import" from the new instance, start it and reimport the ZODB (cklick "import") by the zexp export.

OR

- try to work with fsrecover or similiar zope tools to check / repair your ZODB

hth
cheerioh,

Niels.

--
Niels Dettenbach
Syndicat IT&Internet
Re: Troubles with a Zope-2.7.7-final instance [ In reply to ]
Am 17.03.2014 09:05, schrieb Herbert Liechti:
> Hello
>
> I have some troubles with a customers system whos maintainer is no
> longer available. There was a zope 2.7.7 instance running there until
> last week. The system was rebooted after a long time an the instance
> did not come back online.
>
> I tried different things and after all I compiled python2.4 and all
> dependend stuff (I found all sources on the system). Now the instance
> is starting up with zopectl start. Unfortunately after a few minutes
> the instance dies without any messages in the log files. I tried to
> increase the log level but it has no effect.
>
> The instance should listen on port 8080. But I never encountered a
> listen on that port when I start up zope. I have no idea where to
> search now.
This looks as if some products (zope plugins) are not started correctly.

Try to start zope in the foreground using:
bin/zopectl fg

then you see at least if zope starts correctly at all.
You should see a message:
INFO Zope Ready to handle requests

ah, and an other idea:
is your instance zeo based?
if yes, did you start zeo before starting zope?

if there is a file called
bin/zeoctl

you have to run it before starting zope with:
bin/zeoctl start

hope this helps
robert

Re: Troubles with a Zope-2.7.7-final instance [ In reply to ]
(Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:00:01PM +0100) zope-request@zope.org wrote/schrieb/egrapse:
> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 09:05:00 +0100
> From: Herbert Liechti <xherbie@gmail.com>
> I have some troubles with a customers system whos maintainer is no longer
> available. There was a zope 2.7.7 instance running there until last week.
> The system was rebooted after a long time an the instance did not come back
> online.
>
> I tried different things and after all I compiled python2.4 and all
> dependend stuff (I found all sources on the system). Now the instance is
> starting up with zopectl start. Unfortunately after a few minutes the
> instance dies without any messages in the log files. I tried to increase
> the log level but it has no effect.
>
> The instance should listen on port 8080. But I never encountered a listen
> on that port when I start up zope. I have no idea where to search now.

First step, start it with `zopectl fg` in the foreground to be able to
see any error messages popping up. If it takes a few minutes, it might
be reindexing the db on startup and then running into a problem.
Whatever it is, "fg" gives you a chance to see more.

> I'm not very familiar with zope. Any help is much appreciated.

Here are some hints that I wrote down a while ago:
http://betabug.ch/blogs/ch-athens/1217

Regards,
Sascha