Mailing List Archive

Alternatives to ZWIKI?
Re: Alternatives to ZWIKI? [ In reply to ]
On 11/13/13 4:06 PM, Jesus Cea wrote:
> ZWIKI is quite old and looks like dead. Am I misunderstanding the
> situation?.
Well this is a topic that has been very much on my mind. Clearly
Wikis are an important thing. Clearly Zope 2 is going away. Something
is needed on top of Zope 3.

There was a version of Zwiki for Zope 3 by Stefan Richter.

You can read more about it here.
http://longrun.zwiki.org/zwiki.org/ZwikiForZope3

The source is here.
http://svn.zope.org/zwiki/trunk/

I took a look at the source. It has wikis and wiki pages, and three
types of text formatting. Wikis and pages can be added TTW. Hyperlinks
are done correclty. And it had some understanding of the hierarchy of a
wiki, even if all the pages are int he same folder. Interesting code.

It is about 5 years old. I tried installing it, but did not run right away.

There is also a version here:

https://github.com/do3cc/zope/tree/master/zwiki/trunk/src/zwiki

Also 5 years since it was last updated.

A lot of the python sites use moinmoin. Python.org, ztfy.org, maybe
ubuntu and a few others. MoinMoin is all written in python. I have to
say I am not happy with moinmoin.

To configure moinmoin I have to edit python files on the file system.
With ZWiki, I just added the product, and then used the web interface
to add another wiki. WAY WAY easier. Particularly figuring out how to
run a wiki farm, with multiple wikis was much easier TTW on Zope 2 than
with moinmoin on the file system. For one thing I did not have to keep
stopping and restarting Zope 2.

But a bigger issue is that moinmoin is just a wiki. There is a single
content type, wiki. When I recently put up a memorial web page for my
deceased mother, in moinmoin the text all came up very fast, but just
not the right environment for putting up photos. Plus after an hour I
could not figure out how to indent paragraphs. Let alone other
appearance changes. Zope 2 and ZWiki would have allowed me to do all
3, a wiki and a photo page, and indent paragraphs, but sadly they are
both going away.

Sorry if that does not answer your question, but I hope that it helps.

Regards
Chris
Re: Alternatives to ZWIKI? [ In reply to ]
Christopher Lozinski <lozinski@freerecruiting.com> schrieb:
>Wikis are an important thing. Clearly Zope 2 is going away. Something
>is needed on top of Zope 3.
No and No,

Zope 2 is still developed (mainly by/around the Plone project) but going over to Zope 4 which is widely backward compatible to 2. Both of them still use "Zope 3" components.

Zope 3 is just "one" framework following onto Zope 2 beside others like bluebream etc..

By architecture it should not be difficult to write a new wiki implementation in 2 or 4 - att i just know some wiki "extensions" to some Zope based CMS like Plone or ZMS.

cheers,

Niels.
--
Niels Dettenbach
Syndicat IT&Internet
Re: Alternatives to ZWIKI? [ In reply to ]
Have a look at
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wicked
also.

--
jean . .. .... //\\\oo///\\
Re: Alternatives to ZWIKI? [ In reply to ]
Re: Alternatives to ZWIKI? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Jesus Cea <jcea@jcea.es> wrote:
> On 14/11/13 10:36, Jean Jordaan wrote:
>> Have a look at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wicked also.
>
> Do you know if that product can migrate a ZWIKI instance?. I have tens
> of thousands of ZWIKI pages in severan dozens of ZWIKI instances :-).

It may be as easy as downloading the zwiki pages as text via webdav,
using a client like cadaver, and uploading those to a Plone instance
with wicked enabled. As long as wicked recognizes the zwiki link
syntax, the job is done.

Maybe you need to edit the wikilinks in the exported text (e.g. using
`sed`) before uploading, or maybe you need to tweak the wicked config
to recognize zwiki-style links.

I'm not using wicked functionality myself, but you can enable it at
`<plone instance>/@@markup-controlpanel`.

Here's some DAV notes:
http://developer.plone.org/serving/webdav.html
http://www.webdav.org/cadaver/

--
jean . .. .... //\\\oo///\\
Re: Alternatives to ZWIKI? [ In reply to ]
Hi Jesús,

Zwiki author here. You're not far wrong. Zwiki development stalled a
couple of years ago as I moved away from python and Zope.
http://zwiki.org is in read-only mode, http://wiki.zope.org is offline,
and I'm not aware of many live public zwiki instances. I expect there
are some internal ones, like yours.

The latest/last release of Zwiki should still work fine on any Zope 2.x
version. What versions do you have ? What problems/needs do you have ?

-Simon