other leakages have become also major issue (e.g.,
PageTemplates.Expressions.SubPathExpr).

I was considering a major upgrade to 2.12 or 2.13 and I was trying
2.13.8. However, how can I install products??

It states in 2.12 "What's new" that they are still working but in fact
merely dropping Products in the site-packages does not add a product.

Regards,
Fernando
Re: is it possible to upgrade from 2.9 to 2.13? [ In reply to ]
On 07/03/2011 09:30 AM, Fernando Martins wrote:
> merely dropping Products in the site-packages does not add a product.

Browsing through the list I saw this post:

https://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2011-June/176165.html

with reference to a directive in zope.conf:

products /usr/local/Products.CMFCore-2.2.4/

I tried it with the package Products.ZSQLMethods here:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Products.ZSQLMethods

but no product is added and I see no error messages.

The README.txt is not helpful and I found nothing useful in zope docs.
In despair, I tried python setup.py build/install and all I got is a lot
of zope packages being downloaded and dumped into the python install.

Could someone be so kind to tell me the procedure to install Products
from pypi?

Is it possible to do it also with old products not in pypi?

Also, what is the difference between zope.xxx and Products.xxx packages?

Regards,
Fernando
Re: is it possible to upgrade from 2.9 to 2.13? [ In reply to ]
Hi Fernando,

the option 'enable-product-installation' in zope.conf has to be set to
on to enable product registration of old products in the Products
directory.

Regards,
Stefan

Am 03.07.2011 18:44, schrieb Fernando Martins:
> On 07/03/2011 09:30 AM, Fernando Martins wrote:
>> merely dropping Products in the site-packages does not add a product.
>>
> Browsing through the list I saw this post:
>
> https://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2011-June/176165.html
>
> with reference to a directive in zope.conf:
>
> products /usr/local/Products.CMFCore-2.2.4/
>
> I tried it with the package Products.ZSQLMethods here:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Products.ZSQLMethods
>
> but no product is added and I see no error messages.
>
> The README.txt is not helpful and I found nothing useful in zope docs.
> In despair, I tried python setup.py build/install and all I got is a lot
> of zope packages being downloaded and dumped into the python install.
>
> Could someone be so kind to tell me the procedure to install Products
> from pypi?
>
> Is it possible to do it also with old products not in pypi?
>
> Also, what is the difference between zope.xxx and Products.xxx packages?
>
> Regards,
> Fernando

Stefan Loidl Phone: +49 89 35831 8882
Leibniz-Rechenzentrum Fax: +49 89 35831 8682
Boltzmannstr. 1 mailto:loidl@lrz.de
85748 Garching http://www.lrz.de
Re: is it possible to upgrade from 2.9 to 2.13? [ In reply to ]
Does anyone have any further information on this bug in 2.10 regarding
ZSQL methods? Would an upgrade from 2.9 to 2.10+ in an app using lots of
zsql methods cause unforseen issues?

On 04/07/11 09:46, Stefan Loidl wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> the option 'enable-product-installation' in zope.conf has to be set to
> on to enable product registration of old products in the Products
> directory.
>
> Regards,
> Stefan
>
> Am 03.07.2011 18:44, schrieb Fernando Martins:
>> On 07/03/2011 09:30 AM, Fernando Martins wrote:
>>> merely dropping Products in the site-packages does not add a product.
>>>
>> Browsing through the list I saw this post:
>>
>> https://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2011-June/176165.html
>>
>> with reference to a directive in zope.conf:
>>
>> products /usr/local/Products.CMFCore-2.2.4/
>>
>> I tried it with the package Products.ZSQLMethods here:
>>
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Products.ZSQLMethods
>>
>> but no product is added and I see no error messages.
>>
>> The README.txt is not helpful and I found nothing useful in zope docs.
>> In despair, I tried python setup.py build/install and all I got is a lot
>> of zope packages being downloaded and dumped into the python install.
>>
>> Could someone be so kind to tell me the procedure to install Products
>> from pypi?
>>
>> Is it possible to do it also with old products not in pypi?
>>
>> Also, what is the difference between zope.xxx and Products.xxx packages?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Fernando

Rich Harley
Director (Development)
(0044) 01754 871243 | http://www.scholarpack.com

Re: is it possible to upgrade from 2.9 to 2.13? [ In reply to ]
I can not tell for sure if the problem was that one of the aliases
mentioned by Tres Seaver in results.py. However, I had a simple
application displaying merely one page and involving a few tables and
maybe 10 queries, and 2.10 could not even take hundreds of hits.

I made a simple Python program to hit the web site on the same page and
randomly changing the parameters. In my experience, if you cook up some
simple testing like this you'll quickly see the leak (I was using top in
Linux).

Re: is it possible to upgrade from 2.9 to 2.13? [ In reply to ]
Stefan, thanks for your reply.

In the meanwhile I was indeed able to put products in INSTANCE/Products
(Zope 2.13.8). I did not know about that option you mention and I cannot
check it now, but the Products from pypi were being recognised, as long
as I put only the specific Product subfolder (not the whole pypi package
which contains "cruft" for eggs, whatever else, I still don't fully
understand).

However, with ZSQL Methods, the situation is different. It contains the
specific ZSQL Methods folder, but also Shared/DC/ZRDB. When loading,
Zope complains it can't find the module ZRDB/Search.py (or something
like that).

So, ZSQLMethods depends on Shared, but Share is not being recognised (or
at least not yet processed before ZSQL). How can I fix this? Somehow I
guess the pypi package should be made an egg and dropped in
lib/python2.6, and somehow configured. I couldn't yet find instructions
on doing this for Zope.

I've been trying to read about this whole new procedure[s] (setup tools,
buildout, eggs, virtualenv, ???), but I have the impression the
situation has been changing and it's quite hard to figure out what makes
sense or works right now.

Fernando

Re: is it possible to upgrade from 2.9 to 2.13? [ In reply to ]
On 4 July 2011 13:26, Fernando <fernando@cmartins.nl> wrote:
> Stefan, thanks for your reply.
>
> In the meanwhile I was indeed able to put products in INSTANCE/Products
> (Zope 2.13.8). I did not know about that option you mention and I cannot
> check it now, but the Products from pypi were being recognised, as long as I
> put only the specific Product subfolder (not the whole pypi package which
> contains "cruft" for eggs, whatever else, I still don't fully understand).
>
> However, with ZSQL Methods, the situation is different. It contains the
> specific ZSQL Methods folder, but also Shared/DC/ZRDB. When loading, Zope
> complains it can't find the module ZRDB/Search.py (or something like that).
>
> So, ZSQLMethods depends on Shared, but Share is not being recognised (or at
> least not yet processed before ZSQL). How can I fix this? Somehow I guess
> the pypi package should be made an egg and dropped in lib/python2.6, and
> somehow configured. I couldn't yet find instructions on doing this for Zope.
>
> I've been trying to read about this whole new procedure[s] (setup tools,
> buildout, eggs, virtualenv, ???),  but I have the impression the situation
> has been changing and it's quite hard to figure out what makes sense or
> works right now.

I suggest using http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plone.recipe.zope2instance
(it is not Plone specific) and referring to the Plone documentation
for installing add-ons:
http://plone.org/documentation/kb/add-ons/installing

Laurence
Re: is it possible to upgrade from 2.9 to 2.13? [ In reply to ]
On Jul 4, 2011 13:30 "Laurence Rowe" <l@lrowe.co.uk> <l@lrowe.co.uk>
wrote:

> I suggest using
> <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plone.recipe.zope2instance>
> (it is not Plone specific) and referring to the Plone documentation
> for installing add-ons:
> <http://plone.org/documentation/kb/add-ons/installing>

Thanks Lawrence,

I have already a zope 2.13.7 installation following the instructions and
using virtualenv. This seems to be an alternative to the buildout system
explained in those links.

There are several options in the add-ons page and I don't feel confident
it really applies to my case:

1) what is the ZSQLMethods package in pypi?
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Products.ZSQLMethods/2.13.4. It's a zip with
some "egg-info" stuff in there but it is not clear that it really is an
egg (no .egg extension)

2) is Buildout compatible with virtualenv? The option to install an Egg
without Buildout is not recommended over there.

Fernando
Re: is it possible to upgrade from 2.9 to 2.13? [ In reply to ]
On 4 July 2011 14:48, Fernando <fernando@cmartins.nl> wrote:
> On Jul 4, 2011 13:30 "Laurence Rowe" <l@lrowe.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I suggest using http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plone.recipe.zope2instance
> (it is not Plone specific) and referring to the Plone documentation
> for installing add-ons:
> http://plone.org/documentation/kb/add-ons/installing
>
> Thanks Lawrence,
>
> I have already a zope 2.13.7 installation following the instructions and
> using virtualenv. This seems to be an alternative to the buildout system
> explained in those links.
>
> There are several options in the add-ons page and I don't feel confident it
> really applies to my case:

I would recommend using buildout, most people do, if you have problems
it helps to be in the main stream.

> 1) what is the ZSQLMethods package in pypi?
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Products.ZSQLMethods/2.13.4. It's a zip with
> some "egg-info" stuff in there but it is not clear that it really is an egg
> (no .egg extension)

This is a source distribution that a binary egg will be automatically
built from. As you are using virtualenv you should be able to
easy_install Products.ZSQLMethods in the same way you installed Zope2.
(I hope you have some way of ensuring a consistent known good set of
packages equivalent to the buildout versions.cfg, without it you are
unlikely to get a working system.)

> 2) is Buildout compatible with virtualenv? The option to install an Egg
> without Buildout is not recommended over there.

On my development machine I have a virtualenv python (using
--no-site-packages) which I use to run buildout's bootstrap.

Laurence