What would be the best option to free Zope from hung process? Additional
layer like ODBC-ODBC bridge if available?

Pawel Lewicki

Re: Zope hungs: mxODBC + Progress ODBC on Windows [ In reply to ]
Am 22.01.2007, 11:24 Uhr, schrieb Pawel Lewicki <lewicki@provider.pl>:

> Hi,
> I'm using a configuration from the subject. It's quite an old Zope 2.7
> instance without prospects of upgrade because of dependencies.
> Problem is with ODBC broker timeouts. When query takes too much time the
> connection breaks and Zope hangs. I suspect that ODBC client hangs and
> binds mxODBC binaries.
> I have the same problem when ODBC client is badly configured and I
> restart Zope with open connection.
> What would be the best option to free Zope from hung process? Additional
> layer like ODBC-ODBC bridge if available?

Can you provide more detailed information about your setup? ie. which
combination of driver and bridge on which platforms you're using?

Charlie
Re: Zope hungs: mxODBC + Progress ODBC on Windows [ In reply to ]
Charlie Clark napisał(a):
> Am 22.01.2007, 11:24 Uhr, schrieb Pawel Lewicki <lewicki@provider.pl>:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm using a configuration from the subject. It's quite an old Zope 2.7
>> instance without prospects of upgrade because of dependencies.
>> Problem is with ODBC broker timeouts. When query takes too much time
>> the connection breaks and Zope hangs. I suspect that ODBC client hangs
>> and binds mxODBC binaries.
>> I have the same problem when ODBC client is badly configured and I
>> restart Zope with open connection.
>> What would be the best option to free Zope from hung process?
>> Additional layer like ODBC-ODBC bridge if available?
>
> Can you provide more detailed information about your setup? ie. which
> combination of driver and bridge on which platforms you're using?
>
> Charlie

Progress 9.1 + OpenLink ODBC broker(5.1) on Solaris 32 Bit Sun Sparc
Openlink ODBC client + Zope2.7 on Windows XP

Pawel Lewicki

Re: Zope hungs: mxODBC + Progress ODBC on Windows [ In reply to ]
Am 22.01.2007, 11:54 Uhr, schrieb Pawel Lewicki <lewicki@provider.pl>:

> Charlie Clark napisał(a):
> Am 22.01.2007, 11:24 Uhr, schrieb Pawel Lewicki <lewicki@provider.pl>:
> Hi,
>> I'm using a configuration from the subject. It's quite an old Zope 2.7
>> instance without prospects of upgrade because of dependencies.
>> Problem is with ODBC broker timeouts. When query takes too much time
>> the connection breaks and Zope hangs. I suspect that ODBC client hangs
>> and binds mxODBC binaries.
>> I have the same problem when ODBC client is badly configured and I
>> restart Zope with open connection.
>> What would be the best option to free Zope from hung process?
>> Additional layer like ODBC-ODBC bridge if available?

> Can you provide more detailed information about your setup? ie. which
> combination of driver and bridge on which platforms you're using?

> Progress 9.1 + OpenLink ODBC broker(5.1) on Solaris 32 Bit Sun Sparc
> Openlink ODBC client + Zope2.7 on Windows XP

That is an interesting combination! Have you been in touch with Openlink
at all? The mxODBC Zope DA is pretty resilient but will, of course, have
problems if the driver it is talking to times out or freezes. How many
connections have you got running? mxODBC should be able to open an
additional connection if necessary and possible. I think it is essential
to find out what is causing the queries to timeout.

Charlie
Re: Zope hungs: mxODBC + Progress ODBC on Windows [ In reply to ]
Charlie Clark napisał(a):
> Am 22.01.2007, 11:54 Uhr, schrieb Pawel Lewicki <lewicki@provider.pl>:
>
>> Charlie Clark napisał(a):
>> Am 22.01.2007, 11:24 Uhr, schrieb Pawel Lewicki <lewicki@provider.pl>:
>> Hi,
>>> I'm using a configuration from the subject. It's quite an old Zope
>>> 2.7 instance without prospects of upgrade because of dependencies.
>>> Problem is with ODBC broker timeouts. When query takes too much time
>>> the connection breaks and Zope hangs. I suspect that ODBC client
>>> hangs and binds mxODBC binaries.
>>> I have the same problem when ODBC client is badly configured and I
>>> restart Zope with open connection.
>>> What would be the best option to free Zope from hung process?
>>> Additional layer like ODBC-ODBC bridge if available?
>
>> Can you provide more detailed information about your setup? ie. which
>> combination of driver and bridge on which platforms you're using?
>
>> Progress 9.1 + OpenLink ODBC broker(5.1) on Solaris 32 Bit Sun Sparc
>> Openlink ODBC client + Zope2.7 on Windows XP
>
> That is an interesting combination! Have you been in touch with Openlink
> at all? The mxODBC Zope DA is pretty resilient but will, of course, have
> problems if the driver it is talking to times out or freezes. How many
> connections have you got running? mxODBC should be able to open an
> additional connection if necessary and possible. I think it is essential
> to find out what is causing the queries to timeout.
>
> Charlie

I know what's causing timeouts :) I can't help it now. Increasing
connection number doesn't help. I don't blame mxODBC as it is a great
product.
I just wonder if anyone had similar problems with any ODBC client. Maybe
there is a way to bind mxODBC another way or use additional non-breaking
layer.

Pawel Lewicki

Re: Zope hungs: mxODBC + Progress ODBC on Windows [ In reply to ]
Am 22.01.2007, 13:00 Uhr, schrieb Pawel Lewicki <lewicki@provider.pl>:

> I know what's causing timeouts I can't help it now.

It would still be useful to others: is it a database, network or driver
issue.

> Increasing connection number doesn't help. I don't blame mxODBC as it is
> a great product.

Thanks

> I just wonder if anyone had similar problems with any ODBC client. Maybe
> there is a way to bind mxODBC another way or use additional non-breaking
> layer.

What's the best to resolve it manually? Close and reopen the connection?

Charlie

Re: Zope hungs: mxODBC + Progress ODBC on Windows [ In reply to ]
Charlie Clark napisał(a):
> Am 22.01.2007, 13:00 Uhr, schrieb Pawel Lewicki <lewicki@provider.pl>:
>
>> I know what's causing timeouts I can't help it now.
>
> It would still be useful to others: is it a database, network or driver
> issue.
>
>> Increasing connection number doesn't help. I don't blame mxODBC as it
>> is a great product.
>
> Thanks
>
>> I just wonder if anyone had similar problems with any ODBC client.
>> Maybe there is a way to bind mxODBC another way or use additional
>> non-breaking layer.
>
> What's the best to resolve it manually? Close and reopen the connection?
>
> Charlie

You'd have to be able to get into Zope first :) Problem is that the
whole service hangs.

Pawel