Mailing List Archive

programming error:could not begin transaction
Hello everybody!

Maybe some of you have already had database errors using Zope with Postgres
and can help me with the following problem:

When I try to insert new data in a table using an input form, I get the
following error message.

(Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the error - sometimes I manage to insert
a data, sometimes not.)

Internal Server Error

ProgrammingError
('HY000', 1, '[unixODBC]Could not begin a transaction;\nCould not send
Query to backend;\nCould not flush socket buffer.', 5928) Error Type:
ProgrammingError Error Traceback:

Traceback (innermost last):

* Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
* Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 39, in call_object
* Module OFS.DTMLDocument, line 128, in __call__
<DTMLDocument instance at 1aafeb30>
http://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/Intern/Stammdatenverwaltung/PublikationenVerwalten/PublikationEingeben/manage_main
Physical
Path:/Intern/Stammdatenverwaltung/PublikationenVerwalten/PublikationEingeben
* Module DocumentTemplate.DT_String, line 474, in __call__
* Module DocumentTemplate.DT_In, line 626, in renderwob
* Module DocumentTemplate.DT_Util, line 198, in eval
__traceback_info__: getPublikation
* Module <string>, line 1, in <expression>
* Module Shared.DC.ZRDB.DA, line 454, in __call__
<SQL instance at a292c560>
* Module Products.mxODBCZopeDA.ZopeDA, line 1380, in query
* Module Products.mxODBCZopeDA.ZopeDA, line 1264, in
run_cursor_callback
* Module Products.mxODBCZopeDA.ZopeDA, line 1372, in <lambda>
* Module Products.mxODBCZopeDA.ZopeDA, line 948, in errorhandler

ProgrammingError: ('HY000', 1, '[unixODBC]Could not begin a
transaction;\nCould not send Query to backend;\nCould not flush socket
buffer.', 5928)

I could not find sites reporting about similar problems.
Maybe I do not sufficiently understand the error message. In that case, I
hope somebody gives me a hint.

Best regards,

Lena

Re: programming error:could not begin transaction [ In reply to ]
On 2006-05-02 at 18:25:33 [+0200], lena555@gmx.net wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> Maybe some of you have already had database errors using Zope with Postgres
> and can help me with the following problem:
>
> When I try to insert new data in a table using an input form, I get the
> following error message.
>
> (Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the error - sometimes I manage to insert
> a data, sometimes not.)

Lena,

this looks like it is not related to Zope at all. Check your ODBC logs for
more information. Is your database running on the same machine or on a
network?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
eGenix.com

Re: programming error:could not begin transaction [ In reply to ]
On 2006-05-03 at 17:23:32 [+0200], Helena Hartfiel <lena555@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Charlie,
>
> Thank you for your response.
> In fact, I am not familiar with ODBC logs, where can I find it? The database
> is running on a network. The connection used is an eGenix mxODBC Database
> Connection.
>
> I am not sure whether it is related to Zope or not. I have access only to
> the ZMI of the system.

Lena,

please keep the reply on the list so that others can contribute. The error
you are receiving:
('HY000', 1, '[unixODBC]Could not begin a transaction;\nCould not send
Query to backend;\nCould not flush socket buffer.', 5928)

Is coming from unixODBC and refers to the database connection. As such it is
unlikely to have anything to do with the the SQL you are sending but might be
related to the connection settings you have. Please pass this error message
to your sys admin or DBA to see if they can help you.

Charlie