is there a way to prevent zope from creating a data.fs.old when packing ?

Or, more generally : have some of you already had to deal with this problem ?

Thank you very much

Re: Data.fs too huge [ In reply to ]
rdl3@compaqnet.fr wrote at 2005-9-22 16:46 +0200:
>The problem is that it's now 25 GB (yes!) and I have to pack it, you
>certainly understand why. But I've understood that when packing, zope
>creates a backup file named data.fs.old, which is , logically, the size of
>the previous database.
>BUT the folder containing data.fs has only 5 GB space left, and there is no
>other folder that could store such a big file on my server.
>
>So my question is :
>
>is there a way to prevent zope from creating a data.fs.old when packing ?

You may be lucky -- and packing may succeed despite the only 5 GB free
space:

During packing, the required (still active) parts only
are copied from the old storage to a new one.

At the end of packing, the old file is renamed to "Data.fs.old"
and the new one to "Data.fs".

Thus:

The total amount of required disk space is the
sum of the old and the new (packed) size.

If the packed storage is smaller than 5 GB, packing
will succeed.

Should it be larger, then you will need to modify the packing
code (tiny parts of it): It would then be necessary to
create the new storage on a different partition and because
renaming would no longer work (it does not over partition boundaries),
you would later need to copy it back.

--
Dieter
Re: Data.fs too huge [ In reply to ]
Please stay on the list -- readded...

rdl3@compaqnet.fr wrote at 2005-9-23 16:59 +0200:
>I have thought of another solution, if there is not enough space : it's to
>mount an external nfs patition (as big as possible) and tell zope in
>zope.conf that the database storage is in this partition.
>Does it seem realistic ?

This may work -- but I would instead copy the storage to
a different server with enough disk space and pack there.
Of course, you need a Zope installation there. But, that
is very easy.

>Oh, and another question : if the packing fails (due to a lack of space),
>does it affect the Zserver and zope behaviour at all or does zope keep on
>working, simply telling "packing failed" ?

It does not affect Zope's behaviour. It will simply tell you "packing failed".

--
Dieter