I use zope 2.8 on windows server and ms sql server.
What kind of database adapter could connect zope to ms sql server?

P.S. (How i can conect to ms sql server from zope)

Re: Connect to ms sql server from zope 2.8 on windows server [ In reply to ]
--On 21. Juni 2005 09:14:59 +0600 ЦЗЛ УЭХК <czl@ueip.ru> wrote:

> I use zope 2.8 on windows server and ms sql server.
> What kind of database adapter could connect zope to ms sql server?

Look at mxODBC or the latest version of ZODBCDA from zope.org.

-aj
Re[2]: Connect to ms sql server from zope 2.8 on windows s erver [ In reply to ]
AJ> Look at mxODBC or the latest version of ZODBCDA from zope.org.

I'm free download egenix-mx-base-2.0.6.win32-py2.3.exe.
I have install zope 2.8 for windows.
I could not install egenix-mx-base-2.0.6.win32-py2.3.exe. Becouse it
could not find python in registry.

How to install egenix-mx-base-2.0.6.win32-py2.3.exe without python in registry.

Please help me.

Re: Re[2]: Connect to ms sql server from zope 2.8 on windows s erver [ In reply to ]
Egenix has full instructions on their site for that installation.
However, last I checked, they do not have a version that supports Zope
2.8, so that may be your problem.

I have their DA product running on 2.7.x, I very much like it and it's
well worth the money to purchase.

Greg

On 6/21/05, ãúì õüèë <czl@ueip.ru> wrote:
> AJ> Look at mxODBC or the latest version of ZODBCDA from zope.org.
>
> I'm free download egenix-mx-base-2.0.6.win32-py2.3.exe.
> I have install zope 2.8 for windows.
> I could not install egenix-mx-base-2.0.6.win32-py2.3.exe. Becouse it
> could not find python in registry.
>
> How to install egenix-mx-base-2.0.6.win32-py2.3.exe without python in registry.
>
> Please help me.

Greg Fischer
1st Byte Solutions
http://www.1stbyte.com
Re: Connect to ms sql server from zope 2.8 on windows server [ In reply to ]
Dne úterý, 21. června 2005 5:14 ЦЗЛ УЭХК <czl@ueip.ru> napsal(a):
> I use zope 2.8 on windows server and ms sql server.
> What kind of database adapter could connect zope to ms sql server?
>
> P.S. (How i can conect to ms sql server from zope)

It is few ways to go.

One is ODBC (and here are few ways to go too).
Second is TDS (FreeTDS)

Both I has some problems with parallel access and with big tables.

Third and the best one is the native access to MSSQL.

http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2004-May/149810.html

Note, that I was sometime mentioned 4k text limit which I could not get rid
off - it is limit of MSSQL server via TCP interface, which could be overriden
with sql command (right in ZSQL method)

set textsize 65535
<dtml-var sql_delimiter>
select datetype_text from table...

I use it on production server with sybase ASE 11.9.2 (ASE is not running as
service, only libraries and config file(s?) are needed).

One caveat is only, that I could not get list of tables from database. But it
could be some kind of limits in MSSQL - Iam not msssql admin.

--

Jaroslav Lukesh
Re: Connect to ms sql server from zope 2.8 on windows server [ In reply to ]
Jaroslav Lukesh wrote:
> Dne úterý, 21. června 2005 5:14 ЦЗЛ УЭХК <czl@ueip.ru> napsal(a):
>
>>I use zope 2.8 on windows server and ms sql server.
>>What kind of database adapter could connect zope to ms sql server?
>>
>>P.S. (How i can conect to ms sql server from zope)
>

> It is few ways to go.
>
> One is ODBC (and here are few ways to go too).
> Second is TDS (FreeTDS)
>
> Both I has some problems with parallel access and with big tables.
>
> Third and the best one is the native access to MSSQL.
>
> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2004-May/149810.html

... for some definition of "best" (see the comments on the MSSQL
page: http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/mssql/) ;-)

Just to clarify: The MSSQL module links against the Sybase ct-lib
or FreeTDS (which an effort to create a free implementation of the
same lib).

Getting the Sybase ct-lib to work on Linux is a nightmare and is
not well-supported, which is why the FreeTDS project was started.

However, the original question was "how to connect to MS SQL Server
from Windows": on Windows, ODBC is the easiest to setup and
administer and it is well-supported by all database vendors, with
regular updates, etc.

> Note, that I was sometime mentioned 4k text limit which I could not get rid
> off - it is limit of MSSQL server via TCP interface, which could be overriden
> with sql command (right in ZSQL method)
>
> set textsize 65535
> <dtml-var sql_delimiter>
> select datetype_text from table...

If you do things like this (ie. use SET VARIABLE value), you should
be aware that the setting will in many cases apply to the connection,
not only the cursor you're using to run the query.

As a result, other completely unrelated queries on the same
connection will use the same settings. Things get even more
complicated if you use connection pooling - the results
are intermittent errors that are extremely hard to track
down.

In short: Don't do this :-)

Note that database drivers usually don't have any problem using
bound parameters. The 4k limit usually only refers to the SQL
statement itself - if you use bound parameters, only the parameter
markers count up to that limit, so in most cases, 4k is well
more than enough.

The downside is that Zope's RDB machinery always tries to
quote everything into the SQL statement, so you can only
use bound parameters when talking to the database driver
or connection directly, e.g. via an External Method.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Jul 20 2005)
Re: Connect to ms sql server from zope 2.8 on windows server [ In reply to ]
Dne středa, 20. července 2005 16:50 "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@egenix.com>
napsal(a):
> Jaroslav Lukesh wrote:
> > Third and the best one is the native access to MSSQL.
> >
> > http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2004-May/149810.html
>
> ... for some definition of "best" (see the comments on the MSSQL
> page: http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/mssql/) ;-)

Sorry, I use zope on Linux, so I forgot if it have some problems with windows
client side.

> Getting the Sybase ct-lib to work on Linux is a nightmare and is
> not well-supported, which is why the FreeTDS project was started.

??? I was have hightmare with FreeTDS... I was download and setup sybase (with
some Xwindow program), add lines into interfaces file like that public mssql
server I was use for testing:

dbpublic
master tcp ether sql.aspweb.cz 1433
query tcp ether sql.aspweb.cz 1433

> However, the original question was "how to connect to MS SQL Server
> from Windows": on Windows, ODBC is the easiest to setup and
> administer and it is well-supported by all database vendors, with
> regular updates, etc.

Sure, but I was get some bad things with parallel access into ODBC, so I was
get out from them. ODBC is great, but for development purposes or signle
user, not as general database connector (at windows).

> > Note, that I was sometime mentioned 4k text limit which I could not get
> > rid off - it is limit of MSSQL server via TCP interface, which could be
> > overriden with sql command (right in ZSQL method)
> >
> > set textsize 65535
> > <dtml-var sql_delimiter>
> > select datetype_text from table...
>
> If you do things like this (ie. use SET VARIABLE value), you should
> be aware that the setting will in many cases apply to the connection,
> not only the cursor you're using to run the query.
>
> As a result, other completely unrelated queries on the same
> connection will use the same settings. Things get even more
> complicated if you use connection pooling - the results
> are intermittent errors that are extremely hard to track
> down.

textsize is not as so strange variable...

> In short: Don't do this :-)

it is reccomended by Microshift ;-) because TCP connections have these limits
at MSSQL server side by default due, uahaha, mickeysoft security meanings.

--

Jaroslav Lukesh