Mike Pelletier email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer icq: 7127228
by day, super villain by night. phone: 519-884-2434
Re: [Zope-PTK] Improving the PTK reviewing system [ In reply to ]
Timothy Wilson wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Mike Pelletier wrote:
>
> > If you are interested, please take a moment to
> > read (and possibly comment on) this wiki:
> >
> > http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/ReviewRevamp
>
> I'm obviously missing something, but I can't figure out how to contribute
> this discussion. I went to the URL listed above, but didn't find any link to
> add comments. (That is what Wiki is for, isn't it?)

You must be logged in to zope.org, and you'll see a couple of rewlevant
links at the bottom of the page.

Michael Bernstein.
Re: [Zope-PTK] Improving the PTK reviewing system [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 04:05:18PM -0400, Mike Pelletier wrote:
> As I mentioned in passing in the previous list item, I'm interested
> in improving PTK's reviewing system. I would like it to be possible
> to share content with specific classes of members, rather than
> everyone or noone. If you are interested, please take a moment to
> read (and possibly comment on) this wiki:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/ReviewRevamp
>
> 'Revamp' is a bit extreme. I realized I could do what I wanted
> without tearing everything apart after I had named the page.
>
> If no one says anything, I will assume everyone adores the idea and
> is in full support.

Hello,

I just read the ReviewRevamp page and I would like to 'complain'! Actually
I am a newbie and just discovered Zope and PTK a month ago, so I didn't
dare to complain 8-) (in case the world knows that I don't know what I'm
talking about).

I'm currently trying to understand Zope and have been busy creating Products,
but this MemberClass implementation has been buzzing in my head. I'm thinking
of creating Service Classes (by Portal permission objects and mapping class
instantiation permission and class methods permission to one of these
permission, and then mapping Portal-
wide roles [Member Classes] to the Portal permissions, and voila, I have
Service Classes and Member Classes).

Then I want users to be able to create something like ACL groups (Local
Roles?) and modify 'friends' in these Local Roles. I'm thinking of just
creating method interfaces to modify Local Roles and assign the new roles
to one of the Portal permissions defined for class methods so 'friends' in the
new roles can access some methods. I haven't tried these but that's what I'm
thinking right now.

With regard to assumptions in ReviewRevamp, I can imagine where users in,
e.g., Technical Support dept. would like to make a document available to the
Customer Service people so they can reply end-users questions etc. And I
think there are more general cases where sharing to other role groups
(without belonging to those groups) is
desirable. Bullets 2 and 3 look reasonable to me, though there might be some
cases where reviewers might need to re-review items.

So I think it's nice to have Portal-wide Member Classes and also user-
defined Member Classes (through Local Roles). I'm not sure if this is too
specific to the things I plan to do. Sorry if I write too much and doubly
sorry if I misunderstood roles and permissions in Zope. I'm still working
on it.

Regards,
Hendra
Re: [Zope-PTK] Improving the PTK reviewing system [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Mike Pelletier wrote:

> As I mentioned in passing in the previous list item, I'm interested
> in improving PTK's reviewing system. I would like it to be possible
> to share content with specific classes of members, rather than
> everyone or noone. If you are interested, please take a moment to
> read (and possibly comment on) this wiki:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/ReviewRevamp

I'm obviously missing something, but I can't figure out how to contribute
this discussion. I went to the URL listed above, but didn't find any link to
add comments. (That is what Wiki is for, isn't it?)

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson | Visit Sibley online: | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/
Re: [Zope-PTK] Improving the PTK reviewing system [ In reply to ]
Timothy Wilson wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Mike Pelletier wrote:
>
> > As I mentioned in passing in the previous list item, I'm interested
> > in improving PTK's reviewing system. I would like it to be possible
> > to share content with specific classes of members, rather than
> > everyone or noone. If you are interested, please take a moment to
> > read (and possibly comment on) this wiki:
> >
> > http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/ReviewRevamp
>
> I'm obviously missing something, but I can't figure out how to contribute
> this discussion. I went to the URL listed above, but didn't find any link to
> add comments. (That is what Wiki is for, isn't it?)

DC has tweaked the wikis on zope.org to be editable only by logged-in members.
Anonymous members can browse but not edit -- the edit link isn't even generated
for them. Try logging in from the main www.zope.org page, then revisit the wiki
(you may need to force a reload).

Tres.
Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com tseaver@palladion.com
Re: [Zope-PTK] Improving the PTK reviewing system [ In reply to ]
Just a meta-comment. Mike posted this yesterday afternoon. By the time
I got to the Wiki page this morning, there were already comments from
three folks!

I think it will be _fantastic_ if:

o The PTK list participates deeply in the design of the PTK.

o The PTK list even participates in the implementation, with others
getting checkin were appropriate.

o The Wiki is used to capture design, rather than everything flowing
past (and being lost) in email.

So, good job participating in the design and keep it up! The PTK is
showing the way that DC can open up the software process.

--Paul

Re: [Zope-PTK] Improving the PTK reviewing system [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> I'm obviously missing something, but I can't figure out how to contribute
> this discussion. I went to the URL listed above, but didn't find any link to
> add comments. (That is what Wiki is for, isn't it?)

You have to be logged in to Zope.org to contribute.

Mike.