Mailing List Archive

[Zope-PTK] Re: Wizards
Hi all,

Extracts from the discussion between (Andrew M. Kuchling, Bill Anderson &
Rik Hoekstra
"Andrew M. Kuchling" wrote:

> Back in February, Paul Everitt tried to raise a discussion about
> wizards (see
> http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-ptk/2000-February/000361.html for
> the original post) but there was little interest.
>
> I'd like to re-raise the issue, outside of the PTK, because the idea
> of wizards is useful outside of the PTK; consider a site with a
> multi-stage registration process where you have to fill out several
> screens of info. Right now the Wizard ZClass is hiding inside the
> DemoPortal export file, but it might be worth promoting it into a
> standard component of Zope.

I also agree.

> Currently Wizards are really simple; they're Folderish objects that
> can contain a bunch of DTML methods. The methods are sorted by ID to
> produce the order in which they're traversed; for example, if you have
> methods named 'a', 'b', 'd', they'll be shown in that order. Each
> method can contain <INPUT> tags, and the wizard will collect all the
> form inputs, hiding them in hidden variables in subsequent pages.

[KA]Summarizing requirements below:

> (1)* You want to be able to sanity-check the fields after each step,
> staying at the same step until the fields have reasonable values.
>
> (2)* Putting values inside hidden fields won't work well if one of
> the fields is large -- say, a 200K uploaded file. Better to keep a
> server-side session that holds the field values. (I think some sort
> of standard session tracking, or a standard hook for sessions, should
> be part of Zope, but that's a separate issue.)

>[RH added](3)Generalized Session Object would provide a good starting
point.

(4)What about wizards for coping with sql databases (with a query builder
as the simplest example).
(5)Or, more or less in the same vein, a catalog searcher for want of a
query language.
(6)Or a meta searcher (searches database, Catalogs and whatever), perhaps
even some sort of limited dataminer (Anthony Baxter once implemented
such a beast)?.

[KA added](7)User gets small structures (categories) of links (from a
ressources directory à la DMOZ) and populates them to his member folder.
There is a product developed by Stefane Fermigier for www.portalux.com that
we want to use this way. Maybe this is a specific use of (6) ?

If this discussion was to materialize in a development effort, I would also
be interested in participating in the process.

Greetings.
Kamon
Usability is a key issue
RE: [Zope-PTK] Re: Wizards [ In reply to ]
A couple of comments..

Could someone take some time to summarize this discussion in the Wiki
setup in the PTK area:

http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ (can't remember the URL for the
Wiki)

I've wanted the PTK (and Zope Mozilla) to be a joint development effort
with the community. So far one entity has stepped forward and gotten
CVS access, thought there hasn't been much activity.

Digital Creations needs to find the right rhythym to a more open
development cycle. At this point, I'm not sure if the lack of
participation is due to lack of engagement on our part or the
community's part.

Is anyone ready to jump in and start participating in the PTK
development?

--Paul

See http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/Tracker for bug reports and feature
requests
RE: [Zope-PTK] Re: Wizards [ In reply to ]
At 02:31 PM 3/25/00 -0500, Paul Everitt wrote:
>Could someone take some time to summarize this discussion in the Wiki
>setup in the PTK area:

I'll volunteer to do this.

> At this point, I'm not sure if the lack of
> participation is due to lack of engagement on our part or the
> community's part.

Hmm... random thoughts...

Zope has a steep learning curve for developing products, so it will take
time to grow a developer community with the skills to help develop things
at the PTK level. I've been using the system for five months and I'm only
now starting to see the ramifications of things like the interaction of
acquisition with the security system.

DC appears to be very successful at creating much amazing software :) The
downside of this is that if you say you're going to create something like
PTK, my first reaction is great, I'll let *you* do that, and use it when
it's done. Talk more about Zope limitations, gaps, bugs, missing features,
problems, and work that needs to be done...

Open up the Collector. If you want a developer community, this has got to
be a priority. By keeping unresolved issues hidden, you get a triple
whammy: first, you foster the impression that DC is taking ownership of
fixing things and implementing features, so you discourage participation.
second, you lose out on other developers finding out about problems and
maybe knowing how to fix them. third, I'm personally discouraged from
entering issues into the collector when they just disappear into the black
hole of unresolved issues (I was looking up a proxy permission bug the
other day and came across entries from last May that were still hidden); if
the things I put in were visible then at least I would have the hope that
my information might be useful to someone else who is running into the same
problem.

Documentation... the "interfaces" directory in PTK is *wonderful*. You
know last week I ran across a btree implementation hiding away in Zope?
Completely undocumented of course, that's expected :), but I didn't even
know it existed... I can't think of anything to suggest in addition to the
many documentation projects underway, but only to provide encouragement to
stay the course: developer documentation will breed more developers in time.

Andrew
RE: [Zope-PTK] Re: Wizards [ In reply to ]
Andrew wrote:
> Zope has a steep learning curve for developing products, so
> it will take
> time to grow a developer community with the skills to help
> develop things
> at the PTK level. I've been using the system for five months
> and I'm only
> now starting to see the ramifications of things like the
> interaction of
> acquisition with the security system.
>
> DC appears to be very successful at creating much amazing
> software :) The
> downside of this is that if you say you're going to create
> something like
> PTK, my first reaction is great, I'll let *you* do that, and
> use it when
> it's done. Talk more about Zope limitations, gaps, bugs,
> missing features,
> problems, and work that needs to be done...
>
> Open up the Collector. If you want a developer community,
> this has got to

Though I seriously doubt this is more important to that community than a
documented API, it is still important. I believe that making Collector
entries public is being done this week.

> be a priority. By keeping unresolved issues hidden, you get a triple
> whammy: first, you foster the impression that DC is taking
> ownership of
> fixing things and implementing features, so you discourage
> participation.
> second, you lose out on other developers finding out about
> problems and
> maybe knowing how to fix them. third, I'm personally discouraged from
> entering issues into the collector when they just disappear
> into the black
> hole of unresolved issues (I was looking up a proxy permission bug the
> other day and came across entries from last May that were
> still hidden); if
> the things I put in were visible then at least I would have
> the hope that
> my information might be useful to someone else who is running
> into the same
> problem.
>
> Documentation... the "interfaces" directory in PTK is
> *wonderful*. You
> know last week I ran across a btree implementation hiding
> away in Zope?
> Completely undocumented of course, that's expected :), but I
> didn't even
> know it existed... I can't think of anything to suggest in
> addition to the
> many documentation projects underway, but only to provide
> encouragement to
> stay the course: developer documentation will breed more
> developers in time.

Documenting the programmer API and creating a comprehensive tutorial for
newbies are the two highest priorities for docs.

Thanks for the comments (and off to read your wiki notes).

--Paul
Re: [Zope-PTK] Re: Wizards [ In reply to ]
Paul Everitt wrote:
> A couple of comments..
>
> Could someone take some time to summarize this discussion in the Wiki
> setup in the PTK area:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ (can't remember the URL for the
> Wiki)
>
> I've wanted the PTK (and Zope Mozilla) to be a joint development effort
> with the community. So far one entity has stepped forward and gotten
> CVS access, thought there hasn't been much activity.
>
> Digital Creations needs to find the right rhythym to a more open
> development cycle. At this point, I'm not sure if the lack of
> participation is due to lack of engagement on our part or the
> community's part.

My $0.02 on this:

I don't think DC lacks in spirit but I feel that some systems are not in place
to involve and encourage possible participants. This has mostly to do with the
publicly available website and resources.

For comparison here is a list of 'good' os projects, some big, some small:
http://www.mozilla.org/
http://www.gnome.org or rather http://developer.gnome.org/
http://java.apache.org/
http://www.enhydra.org/
http://www.jabber.org/

1. The ubiquitous 'Get Involved' link and associated details are missing from
both the PTK and ZopeMoz projects. Anyone browsing doesn't know how
(or even whether) he can contribute.

2. Visible Activity: Almost all sites above have 'status', 'news' etc inline
right on the front page. They _look_ alive.

3. Developer Resources: Documentation (is being worked on, I believe), External
links, Access to Issues (mentioned by Andrew in his reply), Feature lists
and so on are all loved by developers.

4. Identity: Currently both the said projects would appear to be some sort of
extension to Zope, or _sub_projects. This is not very encouraging for
external developers (who are not yet or only recently a part of the
Zope community) since they see that value of the work they might do will
be lost in this huge thing. The people within the community and capable
of contributing are either already in DC or doing so for core Zope. This
makes pulling people from outside more important (and beneficial) than
distributing the existing Zope developers.

For ZopeMoz: IMO, people with Mozilla knowledge can contribute more than
people with Zope Zen (with the same effort). Since they would come from outside
Zope, the above points become more weighty.

Thanks,
Shalabh
Shalabh Chaturvedi
http://advogato.org/person/shalabh/