Mailing List Archive

[Zope-PTK] feature: calendar
Hi everyone,

Since my last feature request produced so much interesting discussion, I
thought I'd throw this one out too.

In my context, and I suspect others too, I would love to have a mechanism
for adding events to my portal. The actual machinery would be very similar
to the existing link and news items. At our school site, it would be great
if secretaries, athletic directors, student groups, community groups, etc.
could all contribute events to a large school/community event calendar.
Then we could display upcoming events on the homepage by getting them from
ZCatalog.

Just like the news categories I mentioned before, we'd like to be able to
filter these events so that a student at the high school wouldn't see all
of the elementary school events. Similarly, a parent with two kids, one at
the middle schol and one at the high school, could adjust their
preferences to see those events.

Perhaps it would be possible then to subclass the generic "event" class
to make a sporting event class that would include information on the
opponent, final score, etc. Then we could display up to date sports scores
for all of our teams right on the home page.

Does this make sense?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson | Visit Sibley online: | Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S. | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/
Re: [Zope-PTK] feature: calendar [ In reply to ]
Timothy Wilson wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Since my last feature request produced so much interesting discussion, I
> thought I'd throw this one out too.
>
> In my context, and I suspect others too, I would love to have a mechanism
> for adding events to my portal. The actual machinery would be very similar
> to the existing link and news items. At our school site, it would be great
> if secretaries, athletic directors, student groups, community groups, etc.
> could all contribute events to a large school/community event calendar.
> Then we could display upcoming events on the homepage by getting them from
> ZCatalog.
>
> Just like the news categories I mentioned before, we'd like to be able to
> filter these events so that a student at the high school wouldn't see all
> of the elementary school events. Similarly, a parent with two kids, one at
> the middle schol and one at the high school, could adjust their
> preferences to see those events.
>
> Perhaps it would be possible then to subclass the generic "event" class
> to make a sporting event class that would include information on the
> opponent, final score, etc. Then we could display up to date sports scores
> for all of our teams right on the home page.
>
> Does this make sense?

Not only doe sit make sense, I am actually working on this event object.

What I need, though, is some docs on how to get portal content to show
up in th wizards page.
IOW, what places does it need to be referenced, etc.

Anyone successfully added a portal content object that shows up for
members when they click on the new button? Care to make a quick guide?
--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.
Re: [Zope-PTK] feature: calendar [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Bill Anderson wrote:

> What I need, though, is some docs on how to get portal content to show
> up in th wizards page. IOW, what places does it need to be
> referenced, etc.

I'm just now working on the proceedure you need to complete to create
a PortalContent-derived object and ingegrate it with the portal. I'm
going to try to have it done (and sync the CVS to match it) before I have
to break to write the ZWN.

Mike.

--
Mike Pelletier email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer icq: 7127228