Henry Sibley H.S. | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/
W. St. Paul, MN | | http://slashdot.org/
wilson@visi.com | <dtml-var pithy_quote> | http://linux.com/
Re: [Zope-PTK] PTK at the / [ In reply to ]
----- Original Message -----
From: "Timothy Wilson" <wilson@visi.com>
To: <zope-ptk@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 2:46 PM
Subject: [Zope-PTK] PTK at the /

> I asked this a few days ago, and I haven't figured it out yet.
>
> Is it possible (or alternatively, wise) to put my portal at the root of my
> site. For example, I want http://www.foo.org/ to go directly to my portal.

I don't think it's possible to have the Portal at the root. However, there's
no reason why you can't have your root index_html and header and footer do a
<dtml-with YourPortal> and start doing Portalish things.

Kevin
Re: [Zope-PTK] PTK at the / [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Kevin Dangoor wrote:

> I don't think it's possible to have the Portal at the root. However, there's
> no reason why you can't have your root index_html and header and footer do a
> <dtml-with YourPortal> and start doing Portalish things.

It is theoretically possible. Or, to but it another way, this is a
requirement of the PTK. The code to support this is in there, but I
inherited it, and have never tested it. I will try to document how this
is supposed to be done later today.

--
Mike Pelletier email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer icq: 7127228
Re: [Zope-PTK] PTK at the / [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> I asked this a few days ago, and I haven't figured it out yet.
>
> Is it possible (or alternatively, wise) to put my portal at the root of my
> site. For example, I want http://www.foo.org/ to go directly to my portal.

I would think this is possible using SiteAccess. We use it here to do
virtual hosting on our Zope server, and it works fine for us. A request
coming in to http://www.jkhoffman.com ends up going to the
http://zope.goingv.com/vhosts/jkhoffman folder. No reason why jkhoffman
couldn't be a portal instead of a folder.

> -Tim

--Jeff

---
Jeff K. Hoffman 704.849.0731 x108
Chief Technology Officer mailto:jeff@goingv.com
Going Virtual, L.L.C. http://www.goingv.com/
Re: [Zope-PTK] PTK at the / [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Jeff K. Hoffman wrote:

> I would think this is possible using SiteAccess. We use it here to do
> virtual hosting on our Zope server, and it works fine for us. A request
> coming in to http://www.jkhoffman.com ends up going to the
> http://zope.goingv.com/vhosts/jkhoffman folder. No reason why jkhoffman
> couldn't be a portal instead of a folder.

Indeed, I am told that this is where the PTK's virtual hosting code
came from.

Re: [Zope-PTK] PTK at the / [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:51:56 -0500 (EST)
Mike Pelletier <mike@digicool.com> wrote:

> I will try to document how this is supposed to be done later
> today.

Are the CVS commit messages for the PTK exported to mailing list
anywhere? I'd like to keep a track of what is going on, and to thus
thim my updates.

--
J C Lawrence Home: claw@kanga.nu
----------(*) Other: coder@kanga.nu
Re: [Zope-PTK] PTK at the / [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:

> Are the CVS commit messages for the PTK exported to mailing list
> anywhere? I'd like to keep a track of what is going on, and to thus
> thim my updates.

No, not yet. I think this would be a good thing as well. There is a
mailinglist somewhere that reports this stuff, I think... Anyone know?

Re: [Zope-PTK] PTK at the / [ In reply to ]
"Jeff K. Hoffman" wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Timothy Wilson wrote:
>
> > I asked this a few days ago, and I haven't figured it out yet.
> >
> > Is it possible (or alternatively, wise) to put my portal at the root of my
> > site. For example, I want http://www.foo.org/ to go directly to my portal.
>
> I would think this is possible using SiteAccess. We use it here to do
> virtual hosting on our Zope server, and it works fine for us. A request
> coming in to http://www.jkhoffman.com ends up going to the
> http://zope.goingv.com/vhosts/jkhoffman folder. No reason why jkhoffman
> couldn't be a portal instead of a folder.

Also, you can change your rewrite rules in Apache or Roxen if you are
using either of those.
In fact, This is how I test my portal stuff while logged in ;)

Bill

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.
Re: [Zope-PTK] PTK at the / [ In reply to ]
> > Are the CVS commit messages for the PTK exported to mailing list
> > anywhere? I'd like to keep a track of what is going on, and to thus
> > thim my updates.
>
> No, not yet. I think this would be a good thing as well. There is a
> mailinglist somewhere that reports this stuff, I think... Anyone know?

/Magnus Heino
Re: [Zope-PTK] PTK at the / [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I think check-ins for the core Zope app are reported to the
"zope-checkins" list (<http://lists.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-checkins>).

However, check-ins for "zope-mozilla" go to the zope-mozilla list AFAIK. To
keep things simple, I suppose check-ins for the PTK product could be
exported to the "zope-ptk" list if this is OK.

Alexandre