Mailing List Archive

[Zope-PTK] Internationalization
Hi,

as a german, Internationalization is very important for me in two areas:

1) I like the idea of wizards to make life easier for content
managers. But the people I know over here who are going to be content
managers would struggle on the english language of the wizards.
Translating the wizards would surely be possible, but it is not the
best way, because the work will be lost when you update the PTK or
other product.

I imagine a system that offers hooks to do translation of Wizards on
my own or use predefined translations. I know this is not interesting
to most Zopeists, but languages other than english generally gain
influence and mass on the internet, so it might be/get interesting.
Nevertheless, english should be the standard language, but a tab to
start a new language for the wizard would just be it. I would name it
to be the "german" version of the wizard and go through the pages and
translate the text. At this moment, the original english texts will
be cataloged.
If there is an update of the PTK or other product, a "Translation
Wizard" would guide me through the pages that are new or contain
changed text, so I can easily review my translations.

For us europeans, doing _one_ translation usually does not do it,
often, we need several languages for users of different countries...
english, french, spanish, german,.... so this should be seen to as
well.

2) Content in several languages. This is very important to me and is
not that easy if you need some sort of translational service for the
content. For example, if my site is located in Germany, probably all
content entered will be german (let's speak of a corporate site), but
there might be need to offer some or all content translated to
english, french,... as well. Many people might be able to provide an
english translation, but professional services might still be a
need... :-) and rarely people speak more than one foreign language if
any.
For the systems I build with server side scripting I used the
approach of setting one language as default where I know that a text
will be available for sure (german normally). Several other languages
could be added to the db at once or later. I also had a system with
eMail-Notification to a translator who then logged in and translated
new texts to turkish. The online-manager could decide which articles
were to be translated.
The language of a user will be determined by settings in the language
tab of the browser (offered by all the modern browsers). The server
tries to grab a language version by the preffered settings and if
existant. If it is not existant, it offers a message that the content
in question is not (yet) translated and falls back to the standard
language.
For a larger system with content management I guess a reviewer would
need the ability to set a property that a text is to be translated
and by whom.
A translator probably could be a new role in the portal context and
has his own view where all the articles that are to be translated
were shown (possibly with a time to be done). The management view for
a reviewer would hold information about the translations done (for
review or billing for example) and the ones on hold...

BTW. this might be important for the general contributors area as
well. The current PTK doc says that a Contributor can request
inclusion in the public catalog.... is there a way the contributor
can learn about the state of his request (accepted/modiefied/rejected
on xx/xx/xxxx because of yyyy)??

Over here in Europe is a big need for products that offer support for
several languages and general internationalization. Zope could get a
much bigger impact over here if a clever language support and
solutions to the mentioned problem were available.

I hope you find these ideas valuable and could find some time to
include them into the PTK!

Regards

Jochen
Re: [Zope-PTK] Internationalization [ In reply to ]
I'd like to support Jochen with that.

There should be full Internationalization support in Zope! I know that this is
not an easy task because it means that EACH AND EVERY user-readable text that as
of know is just put directly into the DTML has to be replaced by
variables/hooks.

But without proper internationalization, Zope won't be useful for a lot of use
scenarios!

In fact, that isn't a PTK issue but a general Zope issue. But the PTK would be
a good place for a first try ...

There seems to be some work in progress on internationalization (The
Internationalization ZClasses ...), but I haven't checked that in detail yet as
the release notes sound very alpha.

I think the Zope framework offers a lot of opportunities for implementing
internationalization. E.g. one could simply create a ZClass that has properties
for all required translation strings and checks for a language preference (set
in the user profile or by a cookie) to return the corresponding string.

Joachim.
Re: [Zope-PTK] Internationalization [ In reply to ]
Joachim,

At 11:13 Uhr +0100 26.01.2000, Joachim Werner wrote:
>I'd like to support Jochen with that.

thanks! :-)

>There should be full Internationalization support in Zope! I know that this is
>not an easy task because it means that EACH AND EVERY user-readable
>text that as
>of know is just put directly into the DTML has to be replaced by
>variables/hooks.

Yes, if you need it, for sure! But Zope has great ways of separating
content from code and design, so internationalization fits in very
good, I guess.
Let's face it, not everyone needs this, so I guess a way to leave the
standard way of doing pages with dtml and switch to language support
later would be it. This way you could build your logic in one
language and keep all the structural, important text in the dtmls and
add internationailzation later on, when the logic works. And all the
sites doing only one language won't be bothered.

>But without proper internationalization, Zope won't be useful for a lot of use
>scenarios!

There aren't many products out there that have a good implementation
of multi-language support - I can't think of one at the moment... so
that could be another area where Zope really shines.

>In fact, that isn't a PTK issue but a general Zope issue. But the PTK would be
>a good place for a first try ...

Mhmm, I guess that goes for many of the PTK features, that's all a
question on how you define a portal, isn't it? The Portals I imagine
all could need some good internationalization!

>There seems to be some work in progress on internationalization (The
>Internationalization ZClasses ...), but I haven't checked that in
>detail yet as
>the release notes sound very alpha.

I saw these as well, I have no clue how this is supposed to work and
if it's what I need...

>I think the Zope framework offers a lot of opportunities for implementing
>internationalization. E.g. one could simply create a ZClass that has
>properties
>for all required translation strings and checks for a language preference (set
>in the user profile or by a cookie) to return the corresponding string.

Ah, and the structural texts mentioned earlier needed to be
translated could be hold in a special tab somewhere up in the
hirarchy and would be acquired throughout the site - great!

Jochen
Re: [Zope-PTK] Internationalization [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 04:49:32PM +0100, Jochen Haeberle wrote:

> Yes, if you need it, for sure! But Zope has great ways of separating
> content from code and design, so internationalization fits in very
> good, I guess.
> Let's face it, not everyone needs this, so I guess a way to leave the
> standard way of doing pages with dtml and switch to language support
> later would be it. This way you could build your logic in one
> language and keep all the structural, important text in the dtmls and
> add internationailzation later on, when the logic works. And all the
> sites doing only one language won't be bothered.

Actually, the first part of the problem - that must be dealt
with ASAP - is the Catalog.

Currently you may write your content in whatever language you
wish. But not if you use the Catalog; it cannot search text in
languages that use single-byte, >127 characters, or multi-byte.
The ``voodoo kludge'' splitter seems to somehow fix multi-byte
but not single-byte, so you Germans and we Brazilians are still
lost.

[]s,
|alo
+----
Resistance is futile.

http://www.webcom.com/lalo mailto:lalo@webcom.com
pgp key in the web page

Debian GNU/Linux --- http://www.debian.org
Brazil of Darkness -- http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar
Re: [Zope-PTK] Internationalization [ In reply to ]
> Currently you may write your content in whatever language you
> wish. But not if you use the Catalog; it cannot search text in
> languages that use single-byte, >127 characters, or multi-byte.
> The ``voodoo kludge'' splitter seems to somehow fix multi-byte
> but not single-byte, so you Germans and we Brazilians are still
> lost.

I agree. The catalog is first priority. I actually wasn't really aware of that
problem. Haven't looked into the code yet, but is it THAT difficult to change
it to support international character sets?

As far as I can remember, unicode support is still missing in Python. So that's
the root of the problem, I guess.
Re: [Zope-PTK] Internationalization [ In reply to ]
Hi Joachim,

I agree that internationalization is a key issue for Zope.

A discussion list has been created to discuss I18N issues in Zope. It's
called ZIP (Zope Internationalization Project). To register, go to the
<http://www.eevolute.com/mailman/listinfo/zip> page. To post, send your
email to zip@eevolute.com.

Currently this is a very low volume list because only a few people have
shown interest in these issues. Feel free to register as we need to get
things rolling again.

Cheers.

Alexandre

Re: [Zope-PTK] Internationalization [ In reply to ]
Alexandre,

At 11:16 Uhr +0100 27.01.2000, Alexandre Ratti wrote:
>Hi Joachim,

nearly :-)

>I agree that internationalization is a key issue for Zope.
>
>A discussion list has been created to discuss I18N issues in Zope.
>It's called ZIP (Zope Internationalization Project). To register, go
>to the <http://www.eevolute.com/mailman/listinfo/zip> page. To post,
>send your email to zip@eevolute.com.

Thanks for that info. I joined instantly. I must say I lookead at the
Internationalization Product several times but did not even download
it because I do not understand a word from the docs. I did not get a
clue how it works and if it at any instance is what I need. But this
probably does not belong on the PTK-list.

>Currently this is a very low volume list because only a few people
>have shown interest in these issues. Feel free to register as we
>need to get things rolling again.

I will gladly join you there!

Jochen
RE: [Zope-PTK] Internationalization [ In reply to ]
Please note that this is the PTK list. Internationalization for Zope is
beyond the charter of this effort.

--Paul

Re: [Zope-PTK] Internationalization [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 10:03:24AM -0500, Paul Everitt wrote:

> Please note that this is the PTK list. Internationalization for Zope is
> beyond the charter of this effort.

I realize that, and I'm already subscribed to the ``zip'' list.
I was more like, pointing the guy in the right direction.
However, if the PTK is going to be used for any language other
than English (and a few, very few others) then the Catalog must
be fixed, considering how much the PTK depends on the Catalog.

I understand that the priority is for English sites, and an 1.0
without a fixed Catalog would be acceptable (after all, if
you/we shoot too high, 1.0 will _never_ come), but at least
this minimal level of i18n is surely something to pursue ASAP.

[]s,
+----

RE: [Zope-PTK] Internationalization [ In reply to ]
Hi Paul,

At 10:03 Uhr -0500 27.01.2000, Paul Everitt wrote:
>Please note that this is the PTK list. Internationalization for Zope is
>beyond the charter of this effort.

sad you see it this way :-( I tried to make my point why from my
point of view internationalization _is_ very important for the PTK
(and Zope, for sure).

Jochen
RE: [Zope-PTK] Internationalization [ In reply to ]
I agree with Joachen,

The internationalization is extreemly important. In the next 2-4 years
there will be more non-english speaker on the net than english ones. We
always consider internationalizaton in any product we buy. I am sad to
hear that you are not considering this important issue. It just reminds
me of the people that decided on ASCII. They never imagined any other
language than english will be used with computers. I ask all of the
people on Zope-PTK, Zope-dev, and Zope to consider internationlization
as a major feature of Zope and the Portal toolkit. The effort spent today
is a lot smaller compared to trying to look at this issue a year from now,
and have to re-write tons of unwritten apps.

My two cents..

Adonis
--
Adonis El Fakih, Technical Support, www.ayna.com

Re: [Zope-PTK] Internationalization [ In reply to ]
Though I can't claim to speak for Paul, I don't think Paul meant that
Internationalization is not important. I'm guessing that he sees
internationalization as a Zope (general) or maybe ZIP (specific) issue that
probably shouldn't take up too much bandwidth on the PTK list at this point.

The PTK sits on top of Zope, much like any other product... the
internationalization effort should probably reach farther down to the core
than that. (Besides, the basic portal features are really vital things to
many people, and important to get up and running pretty quickly.)

Kevin
Kendermedia

Re: [Zope-PTK] Internationalization [ In reply to ]
[.moving the thread to the ZIP list, as we're moving from PTK
i18n to general zope i18n]

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 09:46:46AM +0100, Joachim Werner wrote:

> I agree. The catalog is first priority. I actually wasn't really aware of that
> problem. Haven't looked into the code yet, but is it THAT difficult to change
> it to support international character sets?

I don't know what exactly is involved. The smart guy from Korea
tried, and reached the conclusion that the problem was in the
splitter (the code that finds word boundaries). His modified
splitter works for Korean text, but not Portuguese (so, I
assume, it won't work for German either).

> As far as I can remember, unicode support is still missing in Python. So that's
> the root of the problem, I guess.

Perhaps. OTOH, aside from the splitter you'd think you're
dealing with raw bytes, not characters... but looks like that
is not the case, because if I ask if 'áéí' == 'áéí' it works.
So it's really a matter of studying the Catalog source code and
finding out the points where it makes assumptions about the
content of the string (char values). The only places where this
is acceptable are the splitter and the point that case-folds
the search (IIRC, that's inside the splitter module too).

[]s,
+----