Mailing List Archive

[Zope-PTK] Thoughts on a ZClass Squishdot
Hi,

I should've written a note about this earlier (maybe I did, and I'm just
going senile), but the recent note about using ZDiscussions for a new
Squishdot jogged my memory.

For byproducts, we didn't need the discussion functionality of
Squishdot, so I wrote KM|Net News. For another site that we might get to one
of these days, we will want the discussion functionality. I had thought on
this a bit before, and I realized that the functionality I wanted could be
achieved via a simple extension to KM|Net News.

The idea is: rather than have a product that is *based* on ZDiscussions,
why not stick with the generic News Items and add the ability to attach
ZDiscussions to those News Items?

Not to get too far off track, but one of the things that I like (and
frequently use) with KM|Net News is the scoring system. It's very simple,
but it allows me to easily decide the ordering of the articles. This is
useful on byproducts, because I usually don't want site news to be the top
headline (the top headline should always be something silly). So, if the
ordering was strictly chronological, I couldn't control this. I bring this
up now, because I don't think it is necessary to hack this kind of
functionality into ZDiscussions.

I was thinking that News Items can have three different settings for the
type of discussion that is used:

* No discussion

* A discussion that is created for this message (ala Squishdot)

* A discussions that is based on the message category. This might make sense
for special purpose or slower traffic sites. If the site Manager does not
expect to get a whole lot of discussion on any given message, they can just
have discussions based on the categories of stories. For example, a space
site could have discussions on Hubble, Mars, the Moon, etc. Any news item
about Hubble would include the Hubble discussion (in Squishdot style)

Thoughts on this? There may be some flaw that I'm missing here, because
I haven't actually tried this...

Kevin
Re: [Zope-PTK] Thoughts on a ZClass Squishdot [ In reply to ]
Kevin Dangoor wrote:
> The idea is: rather than have a product that is *based* on ZDiscussions,
> why not stick with the generic News Items and add the ability to attach
> ZDiscussions to those News Items?

Yep. The idea is to allow any PTK-aware object to have an "attached"
Discussion.

> Not to get too far off track, but one of the things that I like (and
> frequently use) with KM|Net News is the scoring system. It's very simple,
> but it allows me to easily decide the ordering of the articles. This is
> useful on byproducts, because I usually don't want site news to be the top
> headline (the top headline should always be something silly). So, if the
> ordering was strictly chronological, I couldn't control this. I bring this
> up now, because I don't think it is necessary to hack this kind of
> functionality into ZDiscussions.
>
> I was thinking that News Items can have three different settings for the
> type of discussion that is used:
>
> * No discussion
>
> * A discussion that is created for this message (ala Squishdot)
>
> * A discussions that is based on the message category. This might make sense
> for special purpose or slower traffic sites. If the site Manager does not
> expect to get a whole lot of discussion on any given message, they can just
> have discussions based on the categories of stories. For example, a space
> site could have discussions on Hubble, Mars, the Moon, etc. Any news item
> about Hubble would include the Hubble discussion (in Squishdot style)

Interesting. This would mean that a number of items could share the
same discussion?

--Paul
Re: [Zope-PTK] Thoughts on a ZClass Squishdot [ In reply to ]
> > * A discussions that is based on the message category. This might make
sense
> > for special purpose or slower traffic sites. If the site Manager does
not
> > expect to get a whole lot of discussion on any given message, they can
just
> > have discussions based on the categories of stories. For example, a
space
> > site could have discussions on Hubble, Mars, the Moon, etc. Any news
item
> > about Hubble would include the Hubble discussion (in Squishdot style)
>
> Interesting. This would mean that a number of items could share the
> same discussion?

Precisely. There are probably many situations where a separate discussion
for each Item of some kind would be too scattered. For these, rather than
creating a new ZDiscussion for that object, you would just acquire a
ZDiscussion. This could be implemented as a property where the user types
the name of the discussion. A bit nicer would be for things to have
categories and for the acquisition to work based on category names.

I haven't seen the exact workings of Topics yet to work them into my
thinking... Maybe the Topic would have a ZDiscussion associated with it, and
somehow the News Items for that Topic would all display messages from that
ZDiscussion...

Kevin
Re: [Zope-PTK] Thoughts on a ZClass Squishdot [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Kevin Dangoor wrote:

> I haven't seen the exact workings of Topics yet to work them into my
> thinking... Maybe the Topic would have a ZDiscussion associated with it, and
> somehow the News Items for that Topic would all display messages from that
> ZDiscussion...
>
> Kevin

This is a good thought. A cataloged item can easilly find out what
topics it appears in. You could use this to create a set of 'related
discussion' (discussions in the same topic as this item) links on items
which do not actually somehow encapsulate a discussion themselves. I like
this idea because it involves very little actual work. ;-)

Mike.

--
Mike Pelletier email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer icq: 7127228