Kelly Choi

Community Manager
Xen Project
Re: Mailing list changes [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 2:59?PM Kelly Choi <kelly.choi@cloud.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We recently discussed some mailing list changes in our last community call.
>
> Issue:
>
> Lists.xenproject.org software is outdated, DKIM, DMARC, ARC is no longer sufficient, and there's no clear update path from Mailman2 to Mailman3.
>
> Potential solution:
>
> Host them at https://subspace.kernel.org/ due to us being part of the Linux Foundation
> No additional cost to the project

It should also be pointed out that the list address wouldn't change;
on our end we'd point the MX for lists.xenproject.org to kernel.org's
mail servers (or something like that).

-George
Re: Mailing list changes [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Mar 2024, Kelly Choi wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> We recently discussed some mailing list changes in our last community call.
>
> Issue:
> * Lists.xenproject.org software is outdated, DKIM, DMARC, ARC is no longer sufficient, and there's no clear update path from Mailman2 to
> Mailman3.
> Potential solution:
> * Host them at https://subspace.kernel.org/ due to us being part of the Linux Foundation
> * No additional cost to the project
> There was no objection to this during the call. For everyone else who was not present, please feel free to give your feedback here on the
> mailing list (should you have any).

Hi all,

I just wanted to add that the kernel.org infrastructure is very well
maintained -- I can recommend it.
Re: Mailing list changes [ In reply to ]
Am Mittwoch, 13. M?rz 2024, 15:58:49 CET schrieb Kelly Choi:
> Lists.xenproject.org software is outdated, DKIM, DMARC, ARC is no longer
> sufficient, and there's no clear update path from Mailman2 to Mailman3.

Mailman2 is still maintenanced and under very wide usage. There is no real
need to "migrate" to mailman 3.

DKIM and DMARC are not part of the list software - they are part of the used
Email-Server (MTA) and typically easy to configure (DMARC resp. SPF are just
DNS records to set) - independently from the mailing list (and where it runs)
you need it configured anyways for the xenproject.org traffic.

The list software stack at kernel list is not much "newer" - it bases byself
on similiar long existing software projects.

In case you need some help setting that up i'm happy to help you.

many thanks and
cheers,

niels.

--