Mailing List Archive

Help understanding the x86 instruction decoder and emulator
Hello,

I am new to xen code and have been trying to understand how xen handles emulated instructions like CPUID for PV VMs.

I looked into the files in xen/arch/x86/x86_emulate folder which handle emulation logic but I can't make out much sense from the logic.

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind this emulation and how it functions with the various cpu traps defined in xen/arch/x86/include/asm/processor.h

Thank you in advance for your help
Re: Help understanding the x86 instruction decoder and emulator [ In reply to ]
On 06 Mar 2024 10:56, Fonyuy-Asheri Caleb wrote:
> I am new to xen code and have been trying to understand how xen
> handles emulated instructions like CPUID for PV VMs.I looked into
> the files in xen/arch/x86/x86_emulate folder which handle emulation
> logic but I can't make out much sense from the logic. Can someone
> please explain to me the logic behind this emulation and how it
> functions with the various cpu traps defined in
> xen/arch/x86/include/asm/processor.h

Salut,

this mailing list (xen-users) is rather for people "using" Xen, like the
XenProject matrix channel.
You'd ask there "I followed the docs but it doesn't work", "help me
doing this or that" or "it worked before Xen", etc.

But for "dev" questions like yours, I'd recommend you either :
- or the XenDevel matrix channel

Also my opinion, be more specific in your questions.
Don't hesitate to include code, function names, etc, elaborate your
logic, in a sense.

But finally, take this answer as it is: I'm just a Xen user !
You may get answers here, what do I know.
I just think 24h/day is not enough for them to do what they'd like ;)

--
++
zithro / Cyril