Mailing List Archive

Problem with not starting debian Xen Kernel
I compiled the Kernel according
http://www.xmlvalidation.com/xen_howto_sarge.0.html

All Packages are Installed, Kernel is compiled.
The Problem is, it just halts. It will not even show the first line of
boot.
Only the Information is displayed like the debian kernel displays it.
Here is the System Configuration:

two Harddisks (30Gig and 15 Gig) and a CDROM drive
AMD K6/II 460MB Ram. VIA Mainboard, no AGP, just a simple Matrox
Millenium I PCI Card

The Partitions were created like this:

/dev/hda1 /boot
/dev/mapper/hd1-swap1 (the Linux swap1, 1Gig)
dev/mapper/hd1-boot (the root partition)
/dev/mapper/hd2-swap2 (the Linux swap2, 1Gig ==> 2Gig swap)

As you can see the two drives are mainly mounted via LVM.
The Debian Sarge Kernel 2.6.8 Starts without any Problems.

The New Kernel has been lighted by not needed Network drivers (all kind
of 10/100/1000Mbit cards which where not installed), only the System
Grafikcard driver (the one that is installed)
RAID Support of, LVM support is integrated.
it is a Xen Domain 0 Kernel, and it has been Conigurated as shown in the
howto.

Here is the /boot/grub/menu.lst:

title XEN 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.10myxen0
kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=65536
root (hd0,0)
module /xen-linux-2.6.10myxen0 root=/dev/mapper/hd1-boot ro

title XEN 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.10myxen0
kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=65536
root (hd0,0)
module /xen-linux-2.6.10myxen0 root=/dev/mapper/hd1-boot ro
boot

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-2-386
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386 root=/dev/mapper/hd1-boot ro
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.8-2-386
savedefault
boot

I added the two different boot attempts for grub. with and without boot.
Both are not working.
It not even shows why.

I am quite frustrated that the kernel isn't starting. The xen install
binary, which i tested first couldn't even bee executed.

I will try to boot the Xen System like the debian kernel is started, via
initrd (by creating one).

I hope somebody can help me :(

with kind regardes

Chris

<http://www.incredimail.com/index.asp?id=809&lang=9>
Re: Problem with not starting debian Xen Kernel [ In reply to ]
Hello Chris,

> AMD K6/II 460MB Ram. VIA Mainboard, no AGP, just a simple Matrox
Could it be that AMD K6/II is not a P6 processor?
(http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq#head-c7146b8230839fadca76906177ebf4af18825c38)
I'm not a developer, I don't know. I have a K6/II, too and I think that it is
missing mtrr for example. Maybe XEN needs that.

Christian

Problem with not starting debian Xen Kernel [ In reply to ]
Hmmm I always thought that a K6/II is compatible to P6.
The K6 series is based on Socket 7 and appeared after Intel Pentium.
The CPU is only about 4 Years old.
That shouldn't be the Problem.
I tried to do an initrd, the debian way, and the prog tould me,
That the Kernel isn't supporting LVM, but that is not true.
I compiled it into the Kernel.
I can't give you a screen print, because the system is frosen.
I even tried to Install the Binary Package, but the Problem there was,
That the System told me, the Binary isn't executable (The Package was
executable)

This is just to Crazy

Chris

By the way, could it be possible, that the LVM Root drive is the
Problem?

Re: Problem with not starting debian Xen Kernel [ In reply to ]
> I can't give you a screen print, because the system is frosen.
Does Xen print out anything and it freezes when it boots dom0, or does Xen
allready freeze?

> By the way, could it be possible, that the LVM Root drive is the Problem?
I see you use initrd for your normal kernel. Did you try to use an initrd
for dom0? I think it can be configured by a second module line:
module /initrd.img-2.6.10myxen0

Does this improve anything? (Of cours you need to create the initrd first.)

Christian