Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
Lars E. D. Jensen
ledj@dcmedia.biz - http://dcmedia.biz

Re: Problem with network connection in domU [ In reply to ]
Am Donnerstag, den 21.04.2005, 12:37 +0200 schrieb Lars E. D. Jensen:
> When I create a domU the network isn't reachable when it's loaded. Only if I
> do a xm console domUname and do some sort of network activity like pinging
> an outside host or traceroute. First then there's network connection from
> the outside to services like webserver etc.

That's very few information. Sounds like an ARP/MAC problem. Maybe all
your domUs use the same MAC? On dom0, compare output of

arp -n
brctl showmacs xen-br0

before and after pinging.

/nils.

Re: Problem with network connection in domU [ In reply to ]
> That's very few information. Sounds like an ARP/MAC problem. Maybe all
> your domUs use the same MAC? On dom0, compare output of
>
> arp -n
> brctl showmacs xen-br0
>
> before and after pinging.

Hi Nils

Sorry for so little information, but I'm still a bit xen newbie :)

The weird thing is that I went to lunch and when I came back the problem was
gone!? The network connection is functional now without needing to ping etc.
from inside the xen virtual server

Still I get this output from dom0:

xen010405:~# arp -n
Address HWtype HWaddress Flags Mask
Iface
217.195.178.225 ether 00:0D:88:79:25:14 C
xen-br0

xen010405:~# brctl showmacs xen-br0
port no mac addr is local? ageing timer
1 00:0c:f1:99:e2:08 no 275.61
1 00:0d:88:79:25:14 no 0.00
1 00:12:a9:0a:3a:c0 no 1.66
1 00:12:a9:0a:3a:d7 no 1.91
1 00:30:48:2d:28:6c yes 0.00
2 aa:00:00:15:71:50 no 37.76
2 fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff yes 0.00

Re: Re: Problem with network connection in domU [ In reply to ]
Am Donnerstag, den 21.04.2005, 13:53 +0200 schrieb Lars E. D. Jensen:
> > That's very few information. Sounds like an ARP/MAC problem. Maybe all
> > your domUs use the same MAC? On dom0, compare output of
> >
> > arp -n
> > brctl showmacs xen-br0
> >
> > before and after pinging.
>
> Hi Nils
>
> Sorry for so little information, but I'm still a bit xen newbie :)
>
> The weird thing is that I went to lunch and when I came back the problem was
> gone!?

I hate problems disappearing without cause more than problems not
disappearing ;-)

> The network connection is functional now without needing to ping etc.
> from inside the xen virtual server

And if you shutdown the domUs and recreate them?

> Still I get this output from dom0:
[...]

Interesting is not the output, but the _difference_ between two of them.
As you obviously bridge, this would be the procedure:

# domU is not reachable
brctl showmacs xen-br0

# make domU reachable by tricky pings
brctl showmacs xen-br0

Does something change?

/nils.

Re: Re: Problem with network connection in domU [ In reply to ]
> > The weird thing is that I went to lunch and when I came back the problem
> > was gone!?
>
> I hate problems disappearing without cause more than problems not
> disappearing ;-)

Yeah me too!

> > The network connection is functional now without needing to ping etc.
> > from inside the xen virtual server
>
> And if you shutdown the domUs and recreate them?

Yes, I shutdown and created lots of times. So it's a bit strange.

> > Still I get this output from dom0:
>
> [...]
>
> Interesting is not the output, but the _difference_ between two of them.
> As you obviously bridge, this would be the procedure:
>
> # domU is not reachable
> brctl showmacs xen-br0
>
> # make domU reachable by tricky pings
> brctl showmacs xen-br0
>
> Does something change?

Yes, but now I can't check it since it's working again.
But now I know where to post and what to post if the problem arises again.

Thanks for your patience :)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
Lars E. D. Jensen - DCmedia