Mailing List Archive

More memory questions
Following the advice from others, I attempted to use the xm balloon
command to increase the memory available to Domain-0. However, each
time I execute xm list or free -m the old amount is displayed.
Checking the logs (xend.log & xend-debug.log) showed nothing about the
memory request. Any ideas why this is not working? Am I missing
something or doing something incorrectly? To help here are the machine
specs. please, no laughing ;)

Xen: 2.0.5
Linux Kernel: 2.6.10
CPU: P2-350
Physical Ram: 192 MiB
Allocated to Domain-0: 64 MiB
Allocated to Domain-1: 64 MiB
Xen command: xm balloon Domain-0 92
Display from xm list:
# xm list
Name Id Mem(MB) CPU State Time(s) Console
Domain-0 0 59 0 r---- 104995.4

The same display is shown before and after the balloon command. Is it
possible this hardware (a test machine) is simply too old to work
correctly?

Kenneth Power

RE: More memory questions [ In reply to ]
> Following the advice from others, I attempted to use the xm
> balloon command to increase the memory available to Domain-0.
> However, each time I execute xm list or free -m the old
> amount is displayed.
> Checking the logs (xend.log & xend-debug.log) showed nothing
> about the memory request. Any ideas why this is not working?
> Am I missing something or doing something incorrectly? To
> help here are the machine specs. please, no laughing ;)

You need to set the initial dom0 mem with dom0_mem= on the Xen command
line, then specify the maximum possible dom0 memory via a mem= parameter
on the kernel command line. If you don't do the latter, the maximum
possible will default to the initial.

Ian