Mailing List Archive

vifs and networking
I had a "kernel mess" with Fedora Core 3 (my fault, not RH). I have
switched to SuSE 9.3 and am back to a flat network, one dom0 3 guests
all can ping ech other and the outside world. I can get three bridges up
so my Iptables problem is "solved".

1.) Is ther a guide on how and in what sequence to update the DOM0
kernel and the DOMU kernels to keep the kernels in sync?

I installed SuSE 9.3 2.6.10, upgraded DOM0 2.6.11, then YAST2 "installed
to directory using xen" gave me a 2.6.10 guest, and wound up with 2
different kernel versions again. I copied some /lib/directories and it
is working, but I'm not comfortable.

2.) Is ther a guide on what sequence to run which commands (xm create
with the related console file, brctl addif, vif-bridge... etcetera to
get a 3 tiered enternal, DMZ, Internal netwrok within the 3 guests?

(SuSE 9.3 is great once you get past the undocumented challenges, like
the guest root is created with no password using YAST2, and YAST2 gives
all memory to DOM0 [easy grub fix].)

Re: vifs and networking [ In reply to ]
Mike & Deb Hoesing wrote:

>I had a "kernel mess" with Fedora Core 3 (my fault, not RH). I have
>switched to SuSE 9.3 and am back to a flat network, one dom0 3 guests
>all can ping ech other and the outside world. I can get three bridges up
>so my Iptables problem is "solved".
>
>1.) Is ther a guide on how and in what sequence to update the DOM0
>kernel and the DOMU kernels to keep the kernels in sync?
>
>I installed SuSE 9.3 2.6.10, upgraded DOM0 2.6.11, then YAST2 "installed
>to directory using xen" gave me a 2.6.10 guest, and wound up with 2
>different kernel versions again. I copied some /lib/directories and it
>is working, but I'm not comfortable.

If you work with lots of domUs (e.g. real world production system), it
will be much easier to build your own dom-U kernel with no module
support. That way, kernel upgrade only means replacing the kernel and a
reboot, without having to copy /lib/modules to all domU filesystems
(imagine if you have 10 or 100 domUs :-D )

If you use symbolic link for for domU's kernel (something like
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xenU instead of /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11.10-xenU), you
don't even have to edit domU's config files. you only have to replace
which file the symlink points to.

As long as Xen version is compatible, it shouldn't matter if domU and
dom0 uses different kernel version. Alternatively, you can use dom0's
kernel along with dom0's modules to boot domU.

Regards,

Fajar