Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks
Shaz

Re: How to run a 2.4 kernel distro under a 2.6 dom0 [ In reply to ]
> I have a 2.4 kernel distro I'd like to run under FC4 which is a 2.6
> distro. How can I get that to run?

There is no dependency of the dom0 and domU kernel versions.
Just place your vmlinuz-2.4.*-xenU in the /boot dir of your
domain0 then you can reference it in your domain config file
like this:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.29-xenU"

Re: Re: How to run a 2.4 kernel distro under a 2.6 dom0 [ In reply to ]
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that FC4 doesn't come with a 2.4 xenU kernel.
Is there a way I can build one?

Many thanks
Shaz

Re: Re: How to run a 2.4 kernel distro under a 2.6 dom0 [ In reply to ]
Hi

> The problem is that FC4 doesn't come with a 2.4 xenU kernel.
> Is there a way I can build one?

you can build one with at least the 2.06 stable sources.

Just Append "linux-2.4-xenU" to "KERNELS ?=" in the Makefile of XEN and run
make kernels or
make install

The Kernel sources will automatically be downloaded. You can configure your
Kernel in the directory linux-2.4.* with

make ARCH=xen menuconfig

and do another

make install

Sami

Re: Re: How to run a 2.4 kernel distro under a 2.6 dom0 [ In reply to ]
On 7/1/05, Sami Okasha <happymonkey@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> > The problem is that FC4 doesn't come with a 2.4 xenU kernel.
> > Is there a way I can build one?
>
> you can build one with at least the 2.06 stable sources.
>
> Just Append "linux-2.4-xenU" to "KERNELS ?=" in the Makefile of XEN and run
> make kernels or
> make install
>
> The Kernel sources will automatically be downloaded. You can configure your
> Kernel in the directory linux-2.4.* with
>
> make ARCH=xen menuconfig
>
> and do another
>
> make install
>
> Sami

Hi

Great thanks.

What I did was to download the 2.06 kernel. It has the 2.4 kernel in there.
Question:
Do I need to boot into a 2.4 xen0 kernel to run 2.4 kernel in domU's,
or can I run 2.4kernel domU while running a 2.6 Dom0 kernel.

Basically I'm getting my head round this idea.

In any case I tried to reboot into the 2.06 xen kernel on my sony vaio
but after loading some xen messages the system just reboots with out

title Xen (2.4.30-xenU)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=150000
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.30-xen0 ro root=LABEL=/

Any ideas about this?

Thanks
Shaz

Re: Re: How to run a 2.4 kernel distro under a 2.6 dom0 [ In reply to ]
> On 7/1/05, Sami Okasha <happymonkey@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > > The problem is that FC4 doesn't come with a 2.4 xenU kernel.
> > > Is there a way I can build one?
> >
> > you can build one with at least the 2.06 stable sources.
> >
> > Just Append "linux-2.4-xenU" to "KERNELS ?=" in the Makefile of XEN and run
> > make kernels or
> > make install
> >
> > The Kernel sources will automatically be downloaded. You can configure your
> > Kernel in the directory linux-2.4.* with
> >
> > make ARCH=xen menuconfig
> >
> > and do another
> >
> > make install
> >
> > Sami

Sorry forgot to attach my message, here it is:

Re: Re: How to run a 2.4 kernel distro under a 2.6 dom0 [ In reply to ]
> What I did was to download the 2.06 kernel. It has the 2.4 kernel in there.
> Question:
> Do I need to boot into a 2.4 xen0 kernel to run 2.4 kernel in domU's,
> or can I run 2.4kernel domU while running a 2.6 Dom0 kernel.

Yuo can run a 2.4 domU with a 2.6 dom0. For that matter, you could run a
FreeBSD, NetBSD or Plan9 domU too. The virtual device interface is OS
independent.

> In any case I tried to reboot into the 2.06 xen kernel on my sony vaio
> but after loading some xen messages the system just reboots with out
>
> title Xen (2.4.30-xenU)
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=150000
> module /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.30-xen0 ro root=LABEL=/
>
> Any ideas about this?

You can't boot with LABEL= syntax unless you use an initrd. Yu cuold make a
new initrd (do "man mkinitrd" for more info) or you could just specify the
partition you boot off (e.g. probably /dev/hda1 in your case).

Cheers,
Mark