and tried to find my NICs, soundcard and so on under
make ARCH=xen menuconfig
but, I can't. I am seriously confused, why is that?

Re: missing drivers, am I confused? [ In reply to ]
> Ehm, I tried my luck with a 2.6.11 (that which ships with xen-2.0.6)
> and tried to find my NICs, soundcard and so on under
> make ARCH=xen menuconfig
> but, I can't. I am seriously confused, why is that?

Unless you enable Physical Device Access in the Xen section of the config, the
Drivers section of the kernel config won't be very interesting ;-) I seem to
remember these defaulting to off... Anyhow - if you enable that, and
Privileged Domain then it should work.

You might need to also go switch on "PCI Bus Support" somewhere.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: missing drivers, am I confused? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 02:42:06PM +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > Ehm, I tried my luck with a 2.6.11 (that which ships with xen-2.0.6)
> > and tried to find my NICs, soundcard and so on under
> > make ARCH=xen menuconfig
> > but, I can't. I am seriously confused, why is that?
>
> Unless you enable Physical Device Access in the Xen section of the config, the
> Drivers section of the kernel config won't be very interesting ;-) I seem to
> remember these defaulting to off... Anyhow - if you enable that, and
> Privileged Domain then it should work.
>
> You might need to also go switch on "PCI Bus Support" somewhere.

Ough what a hell :-) . So why is so much stuff disabled? I mean,
if I make menuconfig without setting ARCH, it is assumed that my machine
has a PCI-bus, but with Xen, it is not?

However thanks for the pointer, it still fails (probably because other
important yet configureable stuff have been disabled, too) but I have
something to look for ;-)

Re: missing drivers, am I confused? [ In reply to ]
> Ough what a hell :-) . So why is so much stuff disabled? I mean,
> if I make menuconfig without setting ARCH, it is assumed that my machine
> has a PCI-bus, but with Xen, it is not?

Yup. If you find the dom0 defconfig (it's somewhere under arch/xen/configs, I
think) and copy that to .config first, you'll start off with more useful
defaults for what you want to do.

I think the initial config defaults to being a domU (which makes sense, I
think).

The other problem is that if you go disable Physical Device Access, it has the
knock-on effect of the Linux configurator disabling loads of other things
that you have to go back and turn on...

> However thanks for the pointer, it still fails (probably because other
> important yet configureable stuff have been disabled, too) but I have
> something to look for ;-)

No probs. Probably easiest to start with the dom0 config rather than figure
out all the dependencies in the Linux build system (unless you really want
to!!!)

Cheers,
Mark