Mailing List Archive

Debian Packages for 2.06
Hey Xen list,

Reading the latest announce-list mail (link below), Ian Pratt has
prepared some debian packages available at:
http://meadowcourt.org/xen/

Everything looks nice.. but try clicking on one of the links like:
http://meadowcourt.org/xen/xen_2.0.6-1_i386.deb

Seems there may be some permission problems. Is there someplace else I
can get these packages? I'd prefer to use these then go with the
unpackaged binary install that just drops bits on my system; Though I
must say it certainly is easy.

My 2.0.5 packages from Debian/experimental seem to boot into an "Out of
Memory" situation in the middle of /etc/rcS.d/ (with nearly everything,
including mounts/nfs disabled) where as the 2.0.6 seems to boot just
fine. Not sure if it is a specific problem to 2.0.5, or just the set of
libraries/permutation provided by the xen/experimental packages on my
Sarge box. In any event, once I dumped the manual binary install bits
from the install tarball overtop, my previous xen0 kernels, built with
xen-kernel-patch 2.0.5/2.6.10 the Debian way, worked fine.

For anyone in doubt of their Xen config, the XenoLive 2.0.6 cd is a
great 'test', and cast away any doubt that my config was responsible for
the "Out of Memory" situation.

I'd like to get back to packages an purge the manual bits asap.

Thanks to Adam Heath and Ian Pratt for Debianization of this great tool.

cheers,
iMac.

Referenced Email:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-announce/2005-05/msg00001.html

Notice of confidentiality:
The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be confidential. Should the reader of this message not be the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail.

RE: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]
> Reading the latest announce-list mail (link below), Ian Pratt
> has prepared some debian packages available at:
> http://meadowcourt.org/xen/

Much as I support the creation of the Debian packages, I can't claim any
credit -- you must be thinking of someone else.

A number of different people have created debian packages at various
points in time, and it would be great if we could have a (small) set of
people that we could work closely with to ensure that the best possible
Xen packages are available and maintained. Having >1 than one person
would hopefully ensure continuity etc.
Any volunteers?

Ian

Re: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]

> Much as I support the creation of the Debian packages, I can't claim any
> credit -- you must be thinking of someone else.
>
> A number of different people have created debian packages at various
> points in time, and it would be great if we could have a (small) set of
> people that we could work closely with to ensure that the best possible
> Xen packages are available and maintained. Having >1 than one person
> would hopefully ensure continuity etc.
> Any volunteers?
>
> Ian
>

> Much as I support the creation of the Debian packages, I can't claim any
> credit -- you must be thinking of someone else.
>
> A number of different people have created debian packages at various
> points in time, and it would be great if we could have a (small) set of
> people that we could work closely with to ensure that the best possible
> Xen packages are available and maintained. Having >1 than one person
> would hopefully ensure continuity etc.
> Any volunteers?
>
> Ian

I'm not a debian package maintainer, but I have created debian
packages of 2.0.6 for internal use (they are still being tested, but
here's the link - http://www.option-c.com/debian/pool/main/x/xen/).
They deviate somewhat from the original packages that Adam Heath
created, but that can be changed, and I'd be more than willing to help
out so that we could have a consistent and current set available.

-Yvette Chanco
www.option-c.com

Re: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]
I combined a couple of sub-threads here..

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 07:19 -0400, Turi Peter wrote:
> Ian Pratt wrote:
> >>http://meadowcourt.org/xen/

So Adam Heath must run the meadowcourt.org site.. only the src.tar.gz
link works there. I suspect maybe the .debs not working may have
something to do with the release of Sarge.

> >A number of different people have created debian packages at various
> >points in time, and it would be great if we could have a (small) set
> of
> >people that we could work closely with to ensure that the best
> possible
> >Xen packages are available and maintained. Having >1 than one person
> >would hopefully ensure continuity etc.

Agreed; I have been using/deploying Debian solutions for years, and I'm
just starting to roll Xen into the fold. I can surely help test and
provide feedback now, and depending on my schedule get more involved;
time permitting. I'd certainly like too. If interest beats discipline,
it will be sooner than later.

> I'd be intrested in that project, because we're introducing xen
> packages
> on our campus cluster based on debian, and we will be creating (have
> been created) debian packages, but an official solution would be
> preferred, so I'm in for such a project.

My Xen needs are still personal right now.. but that's always a
precursor to biz needs.

Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:05:56 -0500
> From: Yvette Chanco <yentlsoup@gmail.com>

> I'm not a debian package maintainer, but I have created debian
> packages of 2.0.6 for internal use (they are still being tested, but
> here's the link - http://www.option-c.com/debian/pool/main/x/xen/).
> They deviate somewhat from the original packages that Adam Heath
> created, but that can be changed, and I'd be more than willing to
> help
> out so that we could have a consistent and current set available.
>
> -Yvette Chanco
I am going to try these out when I'm back in town (on the road now).

cheers,
iMac

Re: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]
This is likely a very stupid question, but is there a way to include
this (or other) debian sources in the sources.list, even if they are
not formatted in a 'debian' way? I.e., when adding a source (deb
http://example.com/debian stable main foo), it wants the URL to be in
the format http://example.com/debian/dists/stable/(main|foo). When I
try putting this (or other addresses given from this mailing list) into
sources.list, it gives errors that they are not formatted correctly.

Thanks.
--
Wyatt

Some people have no respect for age unless it's bottled.

Re: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]
I *think* what you want is this:
deb http://example.com/debian ./ main foo
as in the Packages file exists in /debian not in /debian/dists/stable
but this is just a guess

Re: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 03:05:56PM -0500, Yvette Chanco wrote:
> I'm not a debian package maintainer, but I have created debian
> packages of 2.0.6 for internal use (they are still being tested, but
> here's the link - http://www.option-c.com/debian/pool/main/x/xen/).

It looks to me as though there is a proper archive setup here, and the
apt source config is:

deb http://www.option-c.com/debian unstable main

Works here (only tested as far as seeing the new packages listed in
aptitude; I'll look further later on when the project machine is
available again).

--
And in the end, reality always tends to hit theory hard
in the face when you least expect it. - Linus

Re: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]
On 6/24/05, Martin Maney <maney@two14.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 03:05:56PM -0500, Yvette Chanco wrote:
> > I'm not a debian package maintainer, but I have created debian
> > packages of 2.0.6 for internal use (they are still being tested, but
> > here's the link - http://www.option-c.com/debian/pool/main/x/xen/).
>
> It looks to me as though there is a proper archive setup here, and the
> apt source config is:
>
> deb http://www.option-c.com/debian unstable main
>
> Works here (only tested as far as seeing the new packages listed in
> aptitude; I'll look further later on when the project machine is
> available again).

Curiously, I didn't expect any interest in this. Since people are
looking at it, here's some quick extra information.

1) It should be a proper archive - I've tested the above in
/etc/apt/sources.list and installed the packages. However, since I
created it as unstable, I wanted to change it to experimental (since
that's what it was originally for the "official" debian packages)
before giving the apt sources config. Too late now, I'll leave it as
Martin said:

deb http://www.option-c.com/debian unstable main

2) These kernels are "plain vanilla" - they use the default
configuration with two changes that I needed in order to test them
(adding CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y and CONFIG_SCSI_IPS=y). I compiled another
set based on the live CD config which has support for just about
everything (as modules); however I'm still testing those and will add
them to the archive later.

3) The package "xen-system" is a meta-package which should get all the
components needed to boot. However NONE of the packages make the
appropriate changes to /boot/grub/menu.lst. I was hoping for some sort
of decision from others on the best way to implement this (for
example, the "laura" version uses a modified version of grub-update)
for now I just include a sample in /usr/share/doc/xen/grub/

4) There was a typo in the package
kernel-image-2.6.11-xen0_2.0.6-1_i386.deb. There is a file called
/usr/share/doc/xen/grub/grub.menu.sample.xen_2.0.6 which has a sample
grub entry. There is an extra hypen in the "module /boot/xen-linux"
line. If anybody already grabbed that package and found that file, the
correct line should be

module /boot/xen-linux-2.6.11-ocxen0

I'll make the change, test and put up the new version soon.

--
-Yvette Chanco
www.option-c.com

Re: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:58:06PM -0400, Ian MacDonald wrote:
> Agreed; I have been using/deploying Debian solutions for years, and I'm
> just starting to roll Xen into the fold. I can surely help test and

On a related note, Google has awarded a Summer of Code bounty on
integrating Xen into Ubuntu Linux to Edward Despard. Given Ubuntu's
very close relationship with Debian, it may be worth coordinating these
efforts. I haven't seen any posts from him on the list, so you might
have to contact him directly.

ref: "XenIntegration" at http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/BreezyBounties
--
Max Lantana / max@lantanatech.com / www.lantanatech.com

Re: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]
On 7/8/05, Max <max@lantanatech.com> wrote:
> On a related note, Google has awarded a Summer of Code bounty on
> integrating Xen into Ubuntu Linux to Edward Despard. Given Ubuntu's
> very close relationship with Debian, it may be worth coordinating these
> efforts. I haven't seen any posts from him on the list, so you might
> have to contact him directly.
>
> ref: "XenIntegration" at http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/BreezyBounties
> --
Thanks for the heads up - looks like he was/is on the xenophilia team
as well - if anybody contacts him, please let the list know.

I'm never sure where the best place for Debian/Xen discussions are
(debian-user has been suggested, which makes sense), but since I've
had a few off-list conversations (about the unofficial packages I
posted, as well as general topics related to the debian/xen packages),
I thought I should post back to the list. (Thanks to everybody who
took the time to test.)

Since my original post, I've added a few packages for testing to
address two of the issues raised: more modules, and a more
xen-friendly update-grub. However, in order to keep from cluttering
the list with my ramblings, I'm keeping most of my updates/comments on
the following page (this is the "bloggiest" part of the wiki; feel
free to leave comments/make edits, but if too much is removed I might
get very confused...)

http://www.option-c.com/xwiki/Debian_Xen_2.0.6_Packages

Three disclaimers/explanations:

1) We have had a few problems with our web hosting company with
regards to uptime (rather amusing, at least to me). Apologies if you
have had problems getting something you need, we're working on it...

2) I am not a Debian Developer (I already mentioned that, but it bears
repeating). Also, there is already a package maintainer for the Debian
Xen packages who may or may not want to continue that role, and there
have been several other volunteers for co-maintainer/maintainer if the
official maintainer no longer has time for this package. So I'm not
trying to take over or anything like that, I just want to have
packages I can use, try to help the process as far as I can, and - if
possible - avoid too much duplication of effort.

3) If you happen to explore our wiki and wonder "why didn't they put
this on the offical Xen wiki?", it's because we felt that some of the
information was just too specific to our needs to justify putting on
the main wiki. We are trying to augment, not supplant, the existing
documentation.

-Yvette Chanco
www.option-c.com

RE: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]
He hasn't filled out his Spec yet, but if this is anything to do with
Ubuntu's kernel source trees, I don't see this flowing back through to
Debian since Ubuntu's kernels are radically different and don't fully
reverse back to pristine source, meaning there is a lot of work to be
done to get their kernel trees to work with Xen.

RE: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]
> I'm never sure where the best place for Debian/Xen
> discussions are (debian-user has been suggested, which makes
> sense), but since I've had a few off-list conversations
> (about the unofficial packages I posted, as well as general
> topics related to the debian/xen packages), I thought I
> should post back to the list. (Thanks to everybody who took
> the time to test.)

I'd like to see this continue on xen-users though we could create a new
list if there's strong demand.

> Three disclaimers/explanations:
>
> 1) We have had a few problems with our web hosting company
> with regards to uptime (rather amusing, at least to me).
> Apologies if you have had problems getting something you
> need, we're working on it...

Feel free to create a debian section on wiki.xensource.com

There are real advantages for users in having everything on a central
site. Also, you won't have to worry about uptime as James does a great
job keeping all the Xen community infrastructure up.

> 2) I am not a Debian Developer (I already mentioned that, but
> it bears repeating). Also, there is already a package
> maintainer for the Debian Xen packages who may or may not
> want to continue that role, and there have been several other
> volunteers for co-maintainer/maintainer if the official
> maintainer no longer has time for this package. So I'm not
> trying to take over or anything like that, I just want to
> have packages I can use, try to help the process as far as I
> can, and - if possible - avoid too much duplication of effort.

I'd really like to see a concerted, organised group effort on debian
packaging and documentation. It's too much work for one person, but
there are a number of people on the list who could contribute. Someone
just need to take the lead and organize everyone else... (hint!)

It would be *great* to have first-class Xen support for Debian, and
we're keen to get any changes that are desired incorporate upstream into
Xen. I'd even like to see the nightly snapshots available as debs.

Best,
Ian

Re: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]
On 7/12/05, Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'd like to see this continue on xen-users though we could create a new
> list if there's strong demand.

I've got no strong opinions on this, I just wanted to make sure I was
posting in the right place.

> Feel free to create a debian section on wiki.xensource.com

I'll see what I can do...

> I'd really like to see a concerted, organised group effort on debian
> packaging and documentation. It's too much work for one person, but
> there are a number of people on the list who could contribute. Someone
> just need to take the lead and organize everyone else... (hint!)
>
> It would be *great* to have first-class Xen support for Debian, and
> we're keen to get any changes that are desired incorporate upstream into
> Xen. I'd even like to see the nightly snapshots available as debs.

While I was waiting for somebody to take the lead I quickly created a
page on the wiki
(http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/DebianPackageMaintenance) and
temporarily linked to it from the top of the DebianSarge page (to make
it more obvious). I know that a wiki is not the long-term place to be
actually managing such an effort, but I thought it would be nice if
the people who have volunteered to help in various ways (or are
willing to) could make a quick note on that page so that we could have
some sort of starting point.

I also added your comment about the nightly snapshots to the wish list...

(If anybody has heard more from Adam, please post back to the list - I
did try to contact him, but I suspect it may have looked like spam.)

-Yvette Chanco
www.option-c.com

Re: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]
On 7/11/05, Tom Hibbert <tom@nsp.co.nz> wrote:
> He hasn't filled out his Spec yet, but if this is anything to do with
> Ubuntu's kernel source trees, I don't see this flowing back through to
> Debian since Ubuntu's kernels are radically different and don't fully
> reverse back to pristine source, meaning there is a lot of work to be
> done to get their kernel trees to work with Xen.
>

> On a related note, Google has awarded a Summer of Code bounty on
> integrating Xen into Ubuntu Linux to Edward Despard. Given Ubuntu's
> very close relationship with Debian, it may be worth coordinating these
> efforts. I haven't seen any posts from him on the list, so you might
> have to contact him directly.
>
> ref: "XenIntegration" at http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/BreezyBounties
> --
> Max Lantana / max@lantanatech.com / www.lantanatech.com

Ed gave me approval to post this to xen-users. I won't be at OLS, so I
hope to see somebody from the Xen-side posting back on this, and I'll
keep an eye on his packages/update page. - Yvette

"Im working on packaging xen and building it into the debian/ubuntu
installer as a project
for Googles summer of code. Unfortuantly due to that i cant take any
help in the form of
code, but i am definitly in need of people telling me what they want
to see in the packages/installer, and helping out to test the new
packages. Ive based my packages on what i had started for xenophilia,
and have updated them to be closer to the debian
policy based on adams packages. I hope to have some packages posted
by weeks end, so i can start concentrating on the installer work. Im
planning on making a generic enough
installer udeb so that i can be included in xenophilia/debian/ubuntu
without modification. My development weblog is at sparky.ath.cx/wp,
and ill post any news as to package release there. Ill also be at OLS
next week talking to the xen guys there about what they want to see in
this direction.

Ed Despard--"

Re: Debian Packages for 2.06 [ In reply to ]
If there's anybody who's not reading xen-devel, I thought this was
worth pointing out (about the official 2.0.6 packages).

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2005-07/msg00624.html