How can I solve this - what info may I provide?

Thanks in advance!

Cz.

Re: No login prompt [ In reply to ]
Hi Robbie,

thanks for the tip - i put /bin/bash instead of getty in my inittab and
came directly (w/o login) to the prompt. All commands ok, but:
ps shows just '?' in the TTY-column. Calling getty 9600 /dev/tty1 results
- as before - in a hang in my current shell.

In other words: has anybody got an idea how to convince debian that the
shell I am in is /dev/tty1?

Thanks!

Cz.

Re: No login prompt [ In reply to ]
Czerwinski wrote:
> thanks for the tip - i put /bin/bash instead of getty in my inittab and
> came directly (w/o login) to the prompt. All commands ok, but:
> ps shows just '?' in the TTY-column. Calling getty 9600 /dev/tty1
> results - as before - in a hang in my current shell.
>
> In other words: has anybody got an idea how to convince debian that the
> shell I am in is /dev/tty1?

Here is another idea, could be nonsense. Or insecure.

what about trying some charater device other than /dev/tty1 ?

/dev/tty
/dev/console
/dev/tty0

assuming one of them works, you might want to adjust
/etc/securetty .

Hope that helps

Re: No login prompt [ In reply to ]
You did it!

Using console instead of tty was the key.

Thanks a lot!

Cz.

Re: No login prompt [ In reply to ]
Czerwinski wrote:

> You did it!
>
> Using console instead of tty was the key.

That's odd. On my Fedora 2 and Lineox 4 I just use this on inittab

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1

and comment out all other ttys. How come it doesn't work on your Debian?
Is it possible, perhaps, that you (previously) use /udev, and that your
/dev contains console, but not tty1?

Regards,

Fajar

Re: No login prompt [ In reply to ]

Re: No login prompt [ In reply to ]
Fajar,

I think you're right. There is no tty1 in my dev directory.

Maybe something went wrong during the installation - the /dev listing
seems very short to me, moreover, I had to create sda*, hda* by myself...

vm_debian:/dev# ls -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jun 16 00:14 MAKEDEV -> /sbin/MAKEDEV
crw-rw---- 1 root video 10, 175 Jun 16 00:14 agpgart
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 4 Jun 16 00:14 audio
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 20 Jun 16 00:14 audio1
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 36 Jun 16 00:14 audio2
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 52 Jun 16 00:14 audio3
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 7 Jun 16 00:14 audioctl
crw------- 1 root tty 5, 1 Jun 17 10:09 console
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jun 16 10:41 core -> /proc/kcore
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 Jun 16 00:14 dsp
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 19 Jun 16 00:14 dsp1
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 35 Jun 16 00:14 dsp2
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 51 Jun 16 00:14 dsp3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 7 Jun 15 23:56 full
brw-r--r-- 1 root root 3, 0 Jun 16 10:47 hda
brw-r--r-- 1 root root 3, 1 Jun 16 10:45 hda1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 2 Jun 16 11:17 hda2
prw------- 1 root root 0 Jun 17 10:01 initctl
crw-r----- 1 root news 1, 2 Jun 15 23:56 kmem
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Jun 17 10:02 log
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 0 Jun 15 23:56 loop0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 1 Jun 15 23:56 loop1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 10 Jun 16 13:17 loop10
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 11 Jun 16 13:17 loop11
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 12 Jun 16 13:17 loop12
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 13 Jun 16 13:17 loop13
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 14 Jun 16 13:17 loop14
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 15 Jun 16 13:17 loop15
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 2 Jun 15 23:56 loop2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 3 Jun 15 23:56 loop3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 4 Jun 15 23:56 loop4
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 5 Jun 15 23:56 loop5
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 6 Jun 15 23:56 loop6
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 7 Jun 15 23:56 loop7
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 8 Jun 16 13:17 loop8
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 9 Jun 16 13:17 loop9
crw-r----- 1 root news 1, 1 Jun 15 23:56 mem
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 35, 0 Jun 16 00:14 midi0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 2 Jun 16 00:14 midi00
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 18 Jun 16 00:14 midi01
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 34 Jun 16 00:14 midi02
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 50 Jun 16 00:14 midi03
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 35, 1 Jun 16 00:14 midi1
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 35, 2 Jun 16 00:14 midi2
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 35, 3 Jun 16 00:14 midi3
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 0 Jun 16 00:14 mixer
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 16 Jun 16 00:14 mixer1
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 32 Jun 16 00:14 mixer2
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 48 Jun 16 00:14 mixer3
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 31, 0 Jun 16 00:14 mpu401data
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 31, 1 Jun 16 00:14 mpu401stat
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Jun 15 23:56 null
crw-r----- 1 root news 1, 4 Jun 15 23:56 port
crw-rw---- 1 root dip 108, 0 Jun 16 00:15 ppp
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 5, 2 Jun 16 14:53 ptmx
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jun 17 10:02 pts
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jun 16 10:41 ram -> ram1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 0 Jun 15 23:56 ram0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 1 Jun 15 23:56 ram1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 10 Jun 15 23:56 ram10
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 11 Jun 15 23:56 ram11
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 12 Jun 15 23:56 ram12
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 13 Jun 15 23:56 ram13
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 14 Jun 15 23:56 ram14
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 15 Jun 15 23:56 ram15
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 16 Jun 15 23:56 ram16
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 2 Jun 15 23:56 ram2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 3 Jun 15 23:56 ram3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 4 Jun 15 23:56 ram4
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 5 Jun 15 23:56 ram5
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 6 Jun 15 23:56 ram6
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 7 Jun 15 23:56 ram7
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 8 Jun 15 23:56 ram8
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 1, 9 Jun 15 23:56 ram9
cr--r--r-- 1 root root 1, 8 Jun 15 23:56 random
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 35, 64 Jun 16 00:14 rmidi0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 35, 65 Jun 16 00:14 rmidi1
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 35, 66 Jun 16 00:14 rmidi2
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 35, 67 Jun 16 00:14 rmidi3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Jun 16 11:18 sda
brw-rw-r-- 1 root root 8, 1 Jun 16 10:36 sda1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 2 Jun 16 11:18 sda2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 3 Jun 16 11:18 sda3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 4 Jun 16 11:18 sda4
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 1 Jun 16 00:14 sequencer
drwxrwxrwt 3 root root 60 Jun 17 10:02 shm
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 35, 128 Jun 16 00:14 smpte0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 35, 129 Jun 16 00:14 smpte1
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 35, 130 Jun 16 00:14 smpte2
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 35, 131 Jun 16 00:14 smpte3
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 6 Jun 16 00:14 sndstat
crw------- 1 root root 5, 0 Jun 15 23:56 tty
crw------- 1 root tty 4, 0 Jun 16 00:14 tty0
cr--r--r-- 1 root root 1, 9 Jun 17 10:02 urandom
prw-r----- 1 root adm 0 Jun 17 10:02 xconsole
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 5 Jun 15 23:56 zero

I tried to create tty1:

vm_debian:/dev# mknod c tty1 4 1
mknod: invalid device type `tty1'
Try `mknod --help' for more information.

...but I can see any invalidity in 'tty1'...

As I am new to debian: Is there any .deb-package that installs my devs
correctly - or how else can I solve this?
(Perhaps a link to a good debian list would also help - I don't want to
mess the XEN list)

Thanks!

Cz.