Mailing List Archive

Xen can't use all the memory in my system ?
Hello people,
I have problems when I try to use the total amount of memory that I have in
my system. It has 128Mb and when I create two Debian VM I get this:
XENmaster:/etc/xen# xm list
Name Id Mem(MB) CPU State Time(s) Console
Debian2 1 31 0 -b--- 47.1 9601
Debian3 2 31 0 -b--- 49.6 9602
Domain-0 0 26 0 r---- 1012.9

I have limited the VM's memory to 32 Mb. The VM config files are like this:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-xenU"
memory = 32
name = "Debian2"
nics = 1
ip = "192.168.50.198 <http://192.168.50.198>"
disk = [ 'file:/vmDebian2,sda1,w', 'file:/vmDebianSwap2,sda2,w' ]

If I try to rise those 32Mb to fit the real memory in my system I get a
message saying that It can not allocate that memory. I don't really know
why.

PS: I've got something better:

XENmaster:/etc/xen# xm list
Name Id Mem(MB) CPU State Time(s) Console
Debian2 1 31 0 -b--- 47.4 9601
Debian3 2 31 0 -b--- 49.9 9602
Domain-0 0 26 0 r---- 1018.7
ttylinux1 3 15 0 -b--- 0.7 9603

But I still have 23 Mb of free memory, why can't I use it ?

Thank you!!
Regards, Miguel.
Re: Xen can't use all the memory in my system ? [ In reply to ]
Miguel Gómez wrote:
> Hello people,
> I have problems when I try to use the total amount of memory that I
> have in my system. It has 128Mb and when I create two Debian VM I get this:

<snip>

> XENmaster:/etc/xen# xm list
> Name Id Mem(MB) CPU State Time(s) Console
> Debian2 1 31 0 -b--- 47.4 9601
> Debian3 2 31 0 -b--- 49.9 9602
> Domain-0 0 26 0 r---- 1018.7
> ttylinux1 3 15 0 -b--- 0.7 9603
>

> But I still have 23 Mb of free memory, why can't I use it ?

Xen is using it.

run: xm info

You'll probably find that you only have about 0 or 1 MB RAM free right now.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/