Mailing List Archive

floppy problems in dom0
Hi!

I'm using xen-2.0.6 with a 2.6.11.10 kernel in dom0 on a dual Athon
machine. In dom0, I have problems accessing the floppy drive. Most
time sectors can be read, but very slowly due to timeouts etc., and
sometimes a sector fails alltogether.

First I thought that the disk itself is damaged, but a few tries later
(several disks in 3 floppy drives) I realized that the dom0 kernel
must have some kind of problem... All the disks work in all drives
except in the one in the Xen machine. I see the following kernel
messages in my syslog:

floppy0: unexpected interrupt
floppy0: sensei repl[0]=80
floppy0: -- FDC reply errorfloppy0: unexpected interrupt
floppy0: sensei repl[0]=80
floppy0: -- FDC reply errorfloppy0: unexpected interrupt
floppy0: sensei repl[0]=80
floppy0: -- FDC reply errorfloppy0: unexpected interrupt
floppy0: sensei repl[0]=80

floppy driver state
-------------------
now=5458913 last interrupt=5458633 diff=280 last called handler=00000000
timeout_message=floppy start
last output bytes:
e6 80 5458595
0 90 5458595
1b 90 5458595
0 90 5458595
a 90 5458595
2 90 5458595
12 90 5458595
1b 90 5458595
ff 90 5458595
e6 80 5458613
0 90 5458613
1b 90 5458613
0 90 5458613
c 90 5458613
2 90 5458613
12 90 5458613
1b 90 5458613
ff 90 5458613
8 90 5458633
8 80 5458633
last result at 5458633
last redo_fd_request at 5458613
80
status=80
fdc_busy=1
cont=c02c6d44
current_req=cb917838
command_status=-1

floppy0: floppy timeout called
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 983

(sector numbers vary, of course)

Looks somehow like is has to do with interrupts, right? :) I also
wonder that the floppy irq has a really high counter in
/proc/interrupts. It increments by 17055 just by mounting the
disk (ext2 filesystem). Isn't that much too much?

Anybody know this effect or have a solution?

Roman
(please Cc replies to me, I'm not subscribed to the list)

RE: floppy problems in dom0 [ In reply to ]
> I'm using xen-2.0.6 with a 2.6.11.10 kernel in dom0 on a dual
> Athon machine. In dom0, I have problems accessing the floppy
> drive. Most time sectors can be read, but very slowly due to
> timeouts etc., and sometimes a sector fails alltogether.

It would be interesting to know what happens if you try the unstable
tree (after a make uninstall).

The floppy driver in xen linux is PIO mode only -- DMA can't be used as
the memory pages may be above the 16MB ISA DMA zone.

Ian