Mailing List Archive

Recompile for use as Xen host
Morning,

This is a nOOb question, I know, but still...

I know there are images out there, but I need to do this from scratch.

I have a CentOS3.5 server (modified) that I want to use as a Xen host. I
have the kernel sources and compiling tools installed. I also have the
original .config file for the CentOS machine.

According to the on-line Xen manual I can copy over the original .config
file and issue: make ARCH=xen oldconfig. Then 'make dep' and 'make'.
During the 'make ARCH...' command I get TONS of questions which by
default are all set to no, but I do want Xen support :-) SO most of the
questions I answered with 'm' (module).

Compilations aborts because smpboot.h can not be found. The symbolic
link in the asm directory is missing, so I created it pointing to the
i386 directory. Then compiling still halts at:

----
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/xen-2.0/linux-2.4.30-xen0/arch/i386/kernel'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/xen-2.0/linux-2.4.30-xen0/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
-fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686
-nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=process -c -o
process.o process.c
process.c: In function `machine_real_restart':
process.c:306: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
---

And here is where I am stuck. I know that smp is not 'fully' supported
yet or is it? Anyway my questions are:

- Am I following the right procedure, if not please advise with more detail.
- What does the above error mean and how to resolve it?
- Is there more info on creating a e.g. CentOS3.5 Xen-0 and Xen-U kernels?
- Should I quit trying ? ;-)

Just trying to get started with Xen and need some help/hints/tips.

Thanks!

-HF

Re: Recompile for use as Xen host [ In reply to ]
Hsing-Foo Wang wrote:
> This is a nOOb question, I know, but still...
>
> I know there are images out there, but I need to do this from scratch.
>
> I have a CentOS3.5 server (modified) that I want to use as a Xen host. I
> have the kernel sources and compiling tools installed. I also have the
> original .config file for the CentOS machine.

I am currently trying to do the same thing, although I do not care about
SMP at the moment.

> According to the on-line Xen manual I can copy over the original .config
> file and issue: make ARCH=xen oldconfig. Then 'make dep' and 'make'.
> During the 'make ARCH...' command I get TONS of questions which by
> default are all set to no, but I do want Xen support :-) SO most of the
> questions I answered with 'm' (module).

For the config, I have copied the CentOS config, but then adapted it
comparing the settings with the default xen0 config. Some things I have
disabled from the CentOS config, because I thought they were not
supported with xen (highmem, etc). I can send you my .config file
off-list, but note that I have disabled most graphics/video stuff, too,
because I wont use X here.

> Compilations aborts because smpboot.h can not be found. The symbolic
> link in the asm directory is missing, so I created it pointing to the
> i386 directory. Then compiling still halts at:
[snip]
> And here is where I am stuck. I know that smp is not 'fully' supported
> yet or is it? Anyway my questions are:

I am sorry I can't answer this (also new to Xen).

> - Am I following the right procedure, if not please advise with more
> detail.
> - What does the above error mean and how to resolve it?
> - Is there more info on creating a e.g. CentOS3.5 Xen-0 and Xen-U kernels?
> - Should I quit trying ? ;-)

I still hope this is possible. ;-)
Will keep you updated with my progress.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

Re: Recompile for use as Xen host [ In reply to ]
Michael Paesold wrote:

> Hsing-Foo Wang wrote:
>
>> This is a nOOb question, I know, but still...
>>
>> I know there are images out there, but I need to do this from scratch.
>>
>> I have a CentOS3.5 server (modified) that I want to use as a Xen host.
>> I have the kernel sources and compiling tools installed. I also have
>> the original .config file for the CentOS machine.
>

> I am currently trying to do the same thing, although I do not care about
> SMP at the moment.

Me neither, but SMP is being mentioned as not 'fully' there yet for
guests and is on the 3.0 roadmap, and I do not have a SMP machine
although I got the 'error', so I was just wondering...

>> According to the on-line Xen manual I can copy over the original
>> .config file and issue: make ARCH=xen oldconfig. Then 'make dep' and
>> 'make'.
>> During the 'make ARCH...' command I get TONS of questions which by
>> default are all set to no, but I do want Xen support :-) SO most of
>> the questions I answered with 'm' (module).
>

> For the config, I have copied the CentOS config, but then adapted it
> comparing the settings with the default xen0 config. Some things I have
> disabled from the CentOS config, because I thought they were not
> supported with xen (highmem, etc). I can send you my .config file
> off-list, but note that I have disabled most graphics/video stuff, too,
> because I wont use X here.

Good I do not need X

>> Compilations aborts because smpboot.h can not be found. The symbolic
>> link in the asm directory is missing, so I created it pointing to the
>> i386 directory. Then compiling still halts at:
>
> [snip]
>
>> And here is where I am stuck. I know that smp is not 'fully' supported
>> yet or is it? Anyway my questions are:
>

> I am sorry I can't answer this (also new to Xen).

:-) join the club!

>> - Am I following the right procedure, if not please advise with more
>> detail.
>> - What does the above error mean and how to resolve it?
>> - Is there more info on creating a e.g. CentOS3.5 Xen-0 and Xen-U
>> kernels?
>> - Should I quit trying ? ;-)
>

> I still hope this is possible. ;-)
Hope so too