--
Sicherheit verständlich http://www.sides.de
GnuPG Key http://pgp.upb.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xAB7D3FE0
Re: Iptables, Module sin Dom0 or Dom1? [ In reply to ]
Denny Schierz wrote:
> hi,
>
> i search in google but don't find the answer. If i want iptables support
> in a virtuel machine, do i need iptables support in Dom0?
>
> I build my own modules in a Dom1 machine with iptables support, but i
> can't load anything:
>
> modprobe ip_tables
> modprobe: Can't open dependencies
> file /lib/modules/2.6.11.10-xenU/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
> build:/usr/src/linux# depmod -a

> depmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

I received this error on a domU that had been running 2.4.x(standalone)
before I started running Xen with 2.6. I believe upgrading modutils made
that error go away.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/
Re: Iptables, Module sin Dom0 or Dom1? [ In reply to ]
> i search in google but don't find the answer. If i want iptables support
> in a virtuel machine, do i need iptables support in Dom0?

Use IPTables in a domU if you want it to do its own firewalling. Use iptables
in dom0 if you want to enforce firewalling and routing rules for the other
domains. You can even use both ;-)

Think of the domains as separate machines, all connected to the dom0 "machine"
using crossover cables (on dedicated interfaces). You can do with Xen
whatever you could do with that setup.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: Iptables, Module sin Dom0 or Dom1? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

>>modprobe: Can't open dependencies
>>file /lib/modules/2.6.11.10-xenU/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
>>build:/usr/src/linux# depmod -a
>>depmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

This is also my problem. Can can anybody explain a bit more about this
'QM_MODULES' thing. The weekend is coming so plenty of time to try your
tips ;-)

TIA

-HF

Re: Iptables, Module sin Dom0 or Dom1? [ In reply to ]
If you want QM_MODULES to go away install module-init-tools that will take
care of it, as far as this... file /lib/modules/2.6.11.10-xenU/modules.dep
(No such file or directory)

well, its not there, so shut down the domU and ..

mount -o loop image.img /mount/point

cp -dpR /lib/modules/2.6.11.10-xenU /mount/point/lib/modules/

umount /mount/point

rev up the domU and have fun :)

Hope this helps.

John Fairbairn

--
In the game of life it takes a root prompt to really foul up.