Mailing List Archive

xen, xensource, community, logo, wiki and licencing (Was: Re: Copyright Question (Logo))
Philipp Winkler wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am using Xen and I want to set up a german community site all about Xen.
> I´d like to use the logo
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/graphics/xenlogo.gif or
> even modify it to fit my pages layout.
> Would this be ok for you guys?
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

Hi,

I think Philipp raised an interesting question, as I was also willing to
use the logo as a basis for a community site logo.

This makes me ask a more general question on Intellectual Property :
Xen's source code is clearly under GPL, but logo, documentation and even
the yet-to-be-official wiki have no mention of licence, owner nor of
usage rights (see http://www.debian.org/logos/ for an example).

I believe that is it the right moment to solve all possible IP issues
once and for all : Having a contributing community is probably the
biggest advantage Xen has against proprietary solutions, and true
community support can't happen serenely if such things are not clear enough.

Sincerely,
Gildas

RE: xen, xensource, community, logo, wiki and licencing (Was: Re: Copyright Question (Logo)) [ In reply to ]
> I think Philipp raised an interesting question, as I was also
> willing to use the logo as a basis for a community site logo.
>
> This makes me ask a more general question on Intellectual Property :
> Xen's source code is clearly under GPL, but logo,
> documentation and even the yet-to-be-official wiki have no
> mention of licence, owner nor of usage rights (see
> http://www.debian.org/logos/ for an example).

Yep, we're working on this. We're in the process of taking legal advice
to create a trademark licensing policy. Until that has been completed,
I don't wish to grant any licenses as it will just complicate things.
I'm hoping we'll be done in a couple of weeks or so -- please check
back.

Best,
Ian