Mailing List Archive

newbie question on Xen booting
Hello every body,
I am installing the XEN on Fedora, and get some trouble when I boot XEN first
time. During the XenLinux booting, a error was issued "Warning: unable to open
an initial console" and then system booting stoped. Does any body has a clue on
the problem?

wei

Re: newbie question on Xen booting [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 05:57:18PM -0500, welu@indiana.edu wrote:
> I am installing the XEN on Fedora, and get some trouble when I boot
> XEN first time. During the XenLinux booting, a error was issued
> "Warning: unable to open an initial console" and then system booting
> stoped. Does any body has a clue on the problem?

You are probably hitting the issue described here:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq#head-ea8b39d71e49cc16d287257de4c482f99d883097
(6.2 "Why does Fedora Core 3 stop working after printing the line
'Freeing unused kernel memory: ...'?")
You'll either need to create the appropriate device nodes in /dev (such
as console), or use an initrd that starts udev.

--Michael Vrable