--
Patrick O'Rourke
porourke@egenera.com

RE: discovering Xen version [ In reply to ]
> Is there a command which returns the version of Xen runing
> (i.e. 2.0.5, 3.0-devel), similar to the uname(1) command? At
> first I thought "xm info" would provide it, but that doesn't
> appear to be the case. Using "xm dmesg" one can see the
> version banner from Xen's message buffer, but isn't possible
> the message buffer could wrap or be cleared?

It's on the 'todo' list to add to 'xm info'. Patches welcome :-)

Thanks,
Ian

Re: discovering Xen version [ In reply to ]
"Patrick O'Rourke" <porourke@egenera.com> writes:

> Is there a command which returns the version of Xen runing
> (i.e. 2.0.5, 3.0-devel), similar to the uname(1) command?

If you want just disturgish between 2.x and 3.x you can check whenever
/proc/xen/grant is present or not (new in 3.x).

Gerd

Re: discovering Xen version [ In reply to ]
Ian Pratt wrote:
>>Is there a command which returns the version of Xen runing
>>(i.e. 2.0.5, 3.0-devel), similar to the uname(1) command? At
>>first I thought "xm info" would provide it, but that doesn't
>>appear to be the case. Using "xm dmesg" one can see the
>>version banner from Xen's message buffer, but isn't possible
>>the message buffer could wrap or be cleared?
>
> It's on the 'todo' list to add to 'xm info'. Patches welcome :-)

I'm 100% new to python, but I've figured out where to add code to make
this show up in xm info. (Already tested with dummy data.)

Can anyone tell me what object or function I could squeeze to get the
Xen version number?

Also, what should the label be called? I started with "xenversion", but
wasn't sure if it should be xen or xend.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/

Re: discovering Xen version [ In reply to ]
On 6/4/05, Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@aktzero.com> wrote:
> Ian Pratt wrote:
> >>Is there a command which returns the version of Xen runing
> >>(i.e. 2.0.5, 3.0-devel), similar to the uname(1) command? At
> >>first I thought "xm info" would provide it, but that doesn't
> >>appear to be the case. Using "xm dmesg" one can see the
> >>version banner from Xen's message buffer, but isn't possible
> >>the message buffer could wrap or be cleared?
> >
> > It's on the 'todo' list to add to 'xm info'. Patches welcome :-)

Ian, is this what you named "xm --version" in todo list? if not, what
it is? (so vague!
)

> I'm 100% new to python, but I've figured out where to add code to make
> this show up in xm info. (Already tested with dummy data.)
>
> Can anyone tell me what object or function I could squeeze to get the
> Xen version number?

it is not that trivial. you must hack up here and there... for
example, it is necessary to extend python wrapper for this.

> Also, what should the label be called? I started with "xenversion", but
> wasn't sure if it should be xen or xend.

no, xen and xend are different things: xen is hypervisor, and xend is daemon.

btw, i am hacking this, and almost done. will post a patch soon.

regards,
aq

RE: discovering Xen version [ In reply to ]
> Ian, is this what you named "xm --version" in todo list? if
> not, what it is? (so vague!
> )

Yep, though I actually prefer the idea of adding it to 'xm info'. We
should report the xen version, tools version, and dom0 linux version.

> > I'm 100% new to python, but I've figured out where to add
> code to make
> > this show up in xm info. (Already tested with dummy data.)
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what object or function I could squeeze
> to get the
> > Xen version number?
>
> it is not that trivial. you must hack up here and there...
> for example, it is necessary to extend python wrapper for this.

Yep, you'll need to export it through the hypercall interface.

Cheers,
Ian

Re: discovering Xen version [ In reply to ]
On 6/4/05, Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Ian, is this what you named "xm --version" in todo list? if
> > not, what it is? (so vague!
> > )
>
> Yep, though I actually prefer the idea of adding it to 'xm info'. We
> should report the xen version, tools version, and dom0 linux version.

yes, it is better to track everything via "xm info". and it is very
nice to have tool version reported. but i wonder where to get this
version. just assign it somewhere manually in xm code?

regards,
aq

RE: discovering Xen version [ In reply to ]
> yes, it is better to track everything via "xm info". and it
> is very nice to have tool version reported. but i wonder
> where to get this version. just assign it somewhere manually
> in xm code?

Seems reasonable.

Best,
Ian