Mailing List Archive

Problems with networking
Hello,

I'm trying to set up Xen, and I can't seem to get the network settings
quite correct.

Here's my setup:

A single P-III machine, with a single Intel e1000 NIC.
The external network is currently providing me an IP via DHCP.

I've installed Fedora Core 2 to the hard drive.
I've cloned the xen-2.0.bk tree.
I made world, and installed.
I rebooted into the Xen-ified kernel(s).

I've set up a couple of debian installations within single files as per
the Xen HOWTO.
I can start up each domain, log in via the console, and verify the
systems are operating correctly.

What I want is:

Debian_domain_0 to act as a web server and send/receive http traffic.
Debian_domain_1 to act as a mail server and send/receive smtp/pop3
traffic.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any documentation regarding how to
direct specific types of traffic to a specific domain with or without
the bridge-utils.

I'm not really sure whether to set an ip for the vif.n interface, or to
set an ip for the virtual NIC within each domain, or both or neither...

I've tried reading through the docs on the bridge-utils site, but they
only seem to make sense in the context of bridging physical devices. I'm
not sure how to grok bridging when one device is physical and others are
virtual.

I'd appreciate a pointer to any existing docs that show how to do this,
if there are any.

--Brett.
Systems Administrator, RHCE.

Re: Problems with networking [ In reply to ]
Brett Lentz (Excell Data Corporation) wrote:

>>Can you verify that when Xen boots it displays Xen 3.0 devel?
>>I tried cloning the xen-2.0 bk tree recently, and Xen says 3.0 when it
>>

>boots (and when it compiles too), but I haven't been able to get it to
>work.
>
>This is correct. I cloned the tree yesterday, compiled it, and
>everything seems to be working..

OK. Since you're able to get it working, I'll try again to apply
the latest bk tree.

>>In short, you can't redirect specific type of traffic with just
>>

>bridge-utils.
>

>That's unfortunate.
>

>>You can assign an IP address to the virtual NIC of each domain (NOT on
>>

>the vif.n).
>

>>Which means you'll have an IP address for web server, and a different
>>

>IP for your mail server.
>
>So, it's the configuration of the virtualized eth device that matters,
>not the vif?

YES! Most times you don't need to bother with vif setup.
The only exception is if you also have different VLANS for different
networks
on your server, which means you have to assign which bridge the vif
belongs to
(by default all goes to xen-br0).

>>It IS possible to make outside world thinks they have the same IP
>>

>address, but that will involve iptables and/or ipvs. Harder to setup.
>
>I can forsee this being a very common installation scenario for Xen.
>Perhaps developing a basic HOWTO and getting it added to the Xen
>documentation would be a good idea?

One would argue that it is the job of firewall and/or load balancer, not
Xen :)

Regards,

Fajar

RE: Problems with networking [ In reply to ]
> >So, it's the configuration of the virtualized eth device
> that matters,
> >not the vif?
> >

> YES! Most times you don't need to bother with vif setup.
> The only exception is if you also have different VLANS for
> different networks on your server, which means you have to
> assign which bridge the vif belongs to (by default all goes
> to xen-br0).

It would be REALLY nice if the documentation were updated to include
this.

> >>It IS possible to make outside world thinks they have the same IP
> >>

> >address, but that will involve iptables and/or ipvs. Harder to setup.
> >
> >I can forsee this being a very common installation scenario for Xen.
> >Perhaps developing a basic HOWTO and getting it added to the Xen
> >documentation would be a good idea?
> >

> One would argue that it is the job of firewall and/or load
> balancer, not Xen :)

Again, the docs should really say this. :-)

After some more tinkering with the bridge-utils I was able to get a very
basic working setup.

Now that I see how it all works together, I've got some ideas on how to
achieve what I want.

--Brett.