Mailing List Archive

boot ok, can't login.
I was able to boot with a loopback filesystem. Lvm is strange.

I can seem to get past this point in the console:

kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
None of init seems to run.

-Phil Carinhas
--
.--------------------------------------------------------.
| Dr. Philip A. Carinhas | pac(at)fortuitous.com |

Re: boot ok, can't login. tty? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 04:58:11PM -0600, Phil Carinhas wrote:
> I was able to boot with a loopback filesystem. Lvm is strange.
> I can seem to get past this point in the console:

My grub entry for console=tty0
Since I am on a system that is remote, I only see /dev/pts/N

Should I change console=vga or console=pst/N

-Phil Carinhas
--
.--------------------------------------------------------.

Re: boot ok, can't login. [ In reply to ]
I was able to boot with a loopback filesystem. Lvm is strange.

I can seem to get past this point in the console:

kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
None of init seems to run.

-Phil Carinhas

Hi phil,

It seems now I have the same problem with you on my FC3 system. I
built the xen2.0 on FC3 using gcc3.3. Previously I cant build it by
gcc3.4.2, which is default gcc version of FC3. then people advised me
lowering the gcc version, I did that, then there is no error during
building.

But then I have the same problems as what you have now.

I had another machine, which is using FC2, and runing xen2.0 unstable.
so I tried transfering those boot files: xen.gz, linuz-2.6.9-xen0
and so on to that FC2 system under /boot. It can boot up and go to a
console,although the the console dumps it cant find some modules, it
can still go to the login.

The hardware of these two machines are totally same, the only
different is one is installed FC2, the other is installed FC3. I am
not sure whether it is the FC peoblems.

Anyone has suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Yi
Here is the grub.conf I am using on my FC3 machine. The similar one
is working on mty FC2 machine, I dont know what's wrong with the tty.
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=8
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.9
kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 com1=115200, 8n1
module /vmlinuz-2.6.9-xen0 root=/dev/hda3 ro console=tty0 console=ttyS0

title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img

Re: Re: boot ok, can't login. [ In reply to ]
> The hardware of these two machines are totally same, the only
> different is one is installed FC2, the other is installed FC3. I am
> not sure whether it is the FC peoblems.
>
> Anyone has suggestions?

FC3 Test1 worked okay for me, but I've never tried FC3 final
release. I presume we'd have had more complaints (e.g., for Red Hat
themselves) if it failed so badly for everyone. I shall have to try it
out myself next week...

-- Keir

RE: Re: boot ok, can't login. [ In reply to ]
> kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k freed
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> None of init seems to run.

Init may be running, but you won't see any output as it hasn't managed
to open an initial console.

My guess would be that your filesystem doesn't have a /dev/console
entry.

I've seen this happen with fle systems that expect devfs (e.g. Gentoo),
but I doubt that's the problem with FC3. Does FC3 use udev or something
fancy like that?

Either way, check to see whether you have a populated /dev/ directory
and copy one across if not.

Best,
Ian

Re: Re: boot ok, can't login. [ In reply to ]
> My guess would be that your filesystem doesn't have a /dev/console
> entry.

Yes, I do have the /dev/console entry and a populated /dev/ directory.

> I've seen this happen with fle systems that expect devfs (e.g. Gentoo),
> but I doubt that's the problem with FC3. Does FC3 use udev or something
> fancy like that?

Yes. FC3 uses udev at the booting up. How can I disable it and use
other possible stuff?

> Either way, check to see whether you have a populated /dev/ directory
> and copy one across if not.
>
> Best,
> Ian

Thanks a lot!

Yi

Re: Re: boot ok, can't login. [ In reply to ]
yi yang wrote:

>> My guess would be that your filesystem doesn't have a /dev/console
>> entry.
>
> Yes, I do have the /dev/console entry and a populated /dev/ directory.
>
>> I've seen this happen with fle systems that expect devfs (e.g. Gentoo),
>> but I doubt that's the problem with FC3. Does FC3 use udev or something
>> fancy like that?
>
> Yes. FC3 uses udev at the booting up. How can I disable it and use
> other possible stuff?

Have a look at this site:

http://usefulinc.com/edd/notes/ManagingDevWithUdev

-Ralf-

Re: Re: boot ok, can't login. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I just installed the xen2.0 on my FC2 system, it works well. So I
guess it is the FC3 problem. And also I guess xen2.0 does not support
the udev well.

It is really exciting that finally I can boot up my own xen2.0. :)

Thanks guys for your valuable sugguestion. I do appreciate that.

Yi