Thanks,
Dave Feustel
1-260-422-5330

Re: Xen and Openbsd [ In reply to ]
Dave Feustel wrote:

>Openbsd and Netbsd are kissing cousins. Is there any chance of getting
>Openbsd 3.6 (just released) or 3.7 (next release, 6months away) ported to Xen?

As far as I can tell, no OS ports itself to Xen, so OpenBSD will run
whenever someone actually
ports it to xen. Until then, the few xen coders will probably fix bugs
in xen itself more, and port
less.

It's not a bad idea, though.

Re: Xen and Openbsd [ In reply to ]
I would be willing to work on this if there were some Xen notes
specifying what needs to be changed in the OS. I don't think
I saw that info at the Xen website, although it's quite possible
I didn't recognize it when I saw it.

--
Dave Feustel
1-260-422-5330

Re: Xen and Openbsd [ In reply to ]
A good place to start would be the Xen 2.0 Interface Manual (it's in the
source tree and possibly on the website). There's also a howto somewhere in
the source tree about how the virtual device drivers work.

The *frontend* device drivers in the Linux and NetBSD trees are BSD-licensed
and have been used as templates in other ports, so you can use those for your
work. There's various other stuff in the Linux port that's BSD licensed, tho
I can't remember exactly what...

The xen-devel mailing list gives support to OS porters whenever required.

HTH,
Mark

Re: Xen and Openbsd [ In reply to ]
> I would be willing to work on this if there were some Xen notes
> specifying what needs to be changed in the OS. I don't think
> I saw that info at the Xen website, although it's quite possible
> I didn't recognize it when I saw it.

If netbsd and openbsd really are that close, the netbsd-2.0 patch in
the Xen repository is likely to be your best guide. Christian Limpach
did that port and may be able to offer help.

-- Keir

Re: Xen and Openbsd [ In reply to ]
Mark A. Williamson wrote:

> The xen-devel mailing list gives support to OS porters whenever required.

I didn't mean to imply that you wouldn't give support, I tried to shortly
state that it's usually not enough to say "Hey, this OS would be cool to
have under xen, will you port it for me?".

I can see how it came out in a way that could be interpreted as if I said
you wouldn't help porters. Sorry for that.

Re: Xen and Openbsd [ In reply to ]
> > The xen-devel mailing list gives support to OS porters whenever required.
>
> I didn't mean to imply that you wouldn't give support, I tried to shortly
> state that it's usually not enough to say "Hey, this OS would be cool to
> have under xen, will you port it for me?".

That's how most of us read your original post - no need to
apologise. :-)

-- Keir

Re: Xen and Openbsd [ In reply to ]
On Monday 08 November 2004 06:27 am, Janne Johansson wrote:
> Mark A. Williamson wrote:
> > The xen-devel mailing list gives support to OS porters whenever required.
>
> I didn't mean to imply that you wouldn't give support, I tried to shortly
> state that it's usually not enough to say "Hey, this OS would be cool to
> have under xen, will you port it for me?".
>
> I can see how it came out in a way that could be interpreted as if I said
> you wouldn't help porters. Sorry for that.

I understood what your point was and I didn't take any offense.
I would use Xen ALL the time if it ran with Openbsd, and I will help
in any way that I can to make that happen. I have been a low-level programmer
(ie mostly (8086) assembly level for my entire programming career (~30 years)
but now I am getting old and out-of-touch with current programming paradigms, so
I am not sure just how much I could realistically contribute to the project.
But the spirit is willing! :-) I *have* just started a project that has first priority
until it is finished (I am getting paid for it), but, as I said, I am really interested in
Xen since it is so close to my core interests. Mike Adler and I wrote a simulator for the
CDC 6600 peripheral processor cluster back in 1969 when we worked for CDC
at Arden Hills, Minnesota.

Dave Feustel

Re: Xen and Openbsd [ In reply to ]
> I understood what your point was and I didn't take any offense.
> I would use Xen ALL the time if it ran with Openbsd, and I will help
> in any way that I can to make that happen. I have been a low-level programmer
> (ie mostly (8086) assembly level for my entire programming career (~30 years)
> but now I am getting old and out-of-touch with current programming paradigms, so
> I am not sure just how much I could realistically contribute to the project.

Unless you think that even the C language is new-fangled, being
out-of-touch with current paradigms is probably an advantage. :-)

-- Keir

Re: Xen and Openbsd [ In reply to ]
On Monday 08 November 2004 08:39 am, Keir Fraser wrote:

> Unless you think that even the C language is new-fangled, being
> out-of-touch with current paradigms is probably an advantage. :-)

I figure 80% of my career to date has been spent programming assembly language
on many machines and microcode(HP2100). I program passably in C, but essentially
not at all in C++, although, I do have good C++ docs should I need them.

--
Dave Feustel
1-260-422-5330

Re: Xen and Openbsd [ In reply to ]
> I can see how it came out in a way that could be interpreted as if I said
> you wouldn't help porters. Sorry for that.

No need to apologise, I knew what you meant! Errr, guess I apologise now if
my post gave the wrong impression!

I was just noting that for the previous OS ports, folks on the mailing list
have always been eager to help, so it's a very valuable resource for anyone
in that situation (especially when the documentation runs out and you're not
sure what Xen is doing ;-).

Mark