I am planning to buy a laptop to do some VMM related research. My options
are Celeron M @2.4 GHz and Pentium M @2.4 GHz.
As such I don't think there should be any problem with Celeron as far as
VMM esearch is concerned but just wanted to check it with the experts.

Can someone please advise if there is any compelling reason for buying
Pentium for doing Xen related stuff? otherwise I will buy a celeron system.

Thanks,
Sanjay

Re: Celeron vs. Pentium for Xen [ In reply to ]
> Can someone please advise if there is any compelling reason for buying
> Pentium for doing Xen related stuff? otherwise I will buy a celeron system.

As long as it's P6 or above, the processor used doesn't affect the
functionality on offer. Of course, processor choice does affect the
performance.

Note that if you're running a laptop, you're more likely to find it fiddly to
get all the hardware working - as you know, laptops tend to have weird bits
of hardware in them. People do run Xen on laptops locally, though so it
shouldn't bother you too much.

HTH,
Mark

RE: Celeron vs. Pentium for Xen [ In reply to ]
> Note that if you're running a laptop, you're more likely to find it
fiddly
> get all the hardware working - as you know, laptops tend to have weird
> bits
> of hardware in them. People do run Xen on laptops locally, though so
it
> shouldn't bother you too much.

How well does xen play with 'speedstep' (is that what it's called?)
where the cpu speed can vary?

What about software suspend etc for dom0.

Just curious. I don't have room on my laptop :(

James