Mailing List Archive

Unable to compile Xen-2.0
I have the latest Xen-2.0 tarball (downloaded today 27 Oct 04) and get
the following error while compiling the 2.6.9-xenU kernel:

make -C linux-2.6.9-xenU ARCH=xen INSTALL_PATH=/usr/src/xen-2.0/install
install
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xen-2.0/linux-2.6.9-xenU'
CHK include/linux/version.h
make[3]: `arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s' is up to date.
CHK include/linux/compile.h
CC drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.o
drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c: In function `blkif_queue_request':
drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c:109: sorry, unimplemented: inlining
failed in call to 'translate_req_to_pfn': function body not available
drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c:342: sorry, unimplemented: called from here
make[5]: *** [drivers/xen/blkfront/blkfront.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [drivers/xen/blkfront] Error 2
make[3]: *** [drivers/xen] Error 2
make[2]: *** [drivers] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xen-2.0/linux-2.6.9-xenU'
make[1]: *** [linux-xenU] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xen-2.0'
make: *** [dist] Error 2

I am running Gentoo Linux with GCC 3.4.2 and glibc 2.3.4.20040808
compiled with NPTL only (no LinuxThreads) and both a 2.6.9 and a 2.6.8.1
kernel. The GCC has ssp-3.4.1 and pie-8.7.6.5 compiled in, but they are
disabled for the compilation as Xen will not compile with them enabled
(Are there plans to allow this?). I have tried disabling
XEN_WRITABLE_PAGETABLES as suggested for an error with the same file on
this list 2-3 weeks ago, with no success. The base kernels were compiled
with this setup.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will try with GCC
3.3.3 to see if that helps.

Cheers

Jerome

Re: Unable to compile Xen-2.0 [ In reply to ]
> I am running Gentoo Linux with GCC 3.4.2 and glibc 2.3.4.20040808
> compiled with NPTL only (no LinuxThreads) and both a 2.6.9 and a 2.6.8.1
> kernel.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will try with GCC
> 3.3.3 to see if that helps.

It's probably a gcc version issue. We try to get stuff working
with most gcc versions, but no-one round here uses 3.4 by default
-- it's way too bleeding edge.

> The GCC has ssp-3.4.1 and pie-8.7.6.5 compiled in, but they are
> disabled for the compilation as Xen will not compile with them enabled
> (Are there plans to allow this?).

What are ssp and pie?

Ian

Re: Unable to compile Xen-2.0 [ In reply to ]
>>I am running Gentoo Linux with GCC 3.4.2 and glibc 2.3.4.20040808
>>compiled with NPTL only (no LinuxThreads) and both a 2.6.9 and a 2.6.8.1
>>kernel.
>>
>>Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will try with GCC
>>3.3.3 to see if that helps.
>
> It's probably a gcc version issue. We try to get stuff working
> with most gcc versions, but no-one round here uses 3.4 by default
> -- it's way too bleeding edge.

Compiled the xenU fine with gcc 3.3.3 - must be a gcc issue. I'm testing
on a box at the moment, so have installed all the new toys to play with
:) Might try with SSP and PIE again ...

>>The GCC has ssp-3.4.1 and pie-8.7.6.5 compiled in, but they are
>>disabled for the compilation as Xen will not compile with them enabled
>>(Are there plans to allow this?).
>
> What are ssp and pie?

SSP is Stack Smashing Protection - formerly ProPolice (see
http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/ for more info) and PIE is
Position Independent Executable i.e. PIC for binaries. SSP modifies the
C compiler to insert initialization code into functions that create a
buffer in memory. At run time, when a buffer is created, SSP adds a
secret random value, the canary, to the end of the buffer. When the
function returns, SSP makes sure that the canary is still intact. If an
attacker were to perform a buffer overflow, he would overwrite this
value and trigger that stack smashing handler. Currently this kills the
target process. (Descriptions borrowed from Gentoo Hardened Project
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/) They provide an extra layer of
security from attack on a server open to the world.

Re: Unable to compile Xen-2.0 [ In reply to ]
> SSP is Stack Smashing Protection - formerly ProPolice (see
> http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/ for more info) and PIE is
> Position Independent Executable i.e. PIC for binaries. SSP modifies the
> C compiler to insert initialization code into functions that create a
> buffer in memory. At run time, when a buffer is created, SSP adds a
> secret random value, the canary, to the end of the buffer. When the
> function returns, SSP makes sure that the canary is still intact. If an
> attacker were to perform a buffer overflow, he would overwrite this
> value and trigger that stack smashing handler. Currently this kills the
> target process. (Descriptions borrowed from Gentoo Hardened Project
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/) They provide an extra layer of
> security from attack on a server open to the world.

Does stock Linux work when compiled with SSP enabled? Sounds
pretty scary to me...

Ian

Re: Unable to compile Xen-2.0 [ In reply to ]
> Does stock Linux work when compiled with SSP enabled? Sounds
> pretty scary to me...

I haven't specifically tried with the -fstack-protector-all flag enabled
for the stock kernel, and the flag wasn't active when compiling Xen.
Most of the userland tools on my box are compiled with SSP enabled. What
about it sounds scary?

Re: Unable to compile Xen-2.0 [ In reply to ]
> > Does stock Linux work when compiled with SSP enabled? Sounds
> > pretty scary to me...
>
> I haven't specifically tried with the -fstack-protector-all flag enabled
> for the stock kernel, and the flag wasn't active when compiling Xen.
> Most of the userland tools on my box are compiled with SSP enabled. What
> about it sounds scary?

Userland tools are one thing, but kernels tend to be rather more
fragile as regards having compilers monkey with their
stack. Also, when the post-call code detects a stack smash,
what's it going to do? I suppose it can execute an illegal
instruction and thus cause a GPF and thus halt.

Ian