It's a memory corruption, doubtless some other mistake on my part :-)

I'm off on other stuff this week but hope to nail it next week.

ron

Re: plan 9 status [ In reply to ]
> well, well. Plan 9 is up and running and mounting a root file system over
> 9p to a linux machine running a 9p server (Russ cox's u9fs).

Cool! I for one can't wait to try out Plan 9 on my hardware.

I'm curious as to how your source for this port will be distributed... In
fact, I don't know how the p9 source is managed - is it possible for you to
get the port checked in to the main tree, or will it be available as a
separate patch?

> I'm off on other stuff this week but hope to nail it next week.

Cool! We're really close to Xen 2.0 release and it's doubly nice to have new
OS ports working as well :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Re: plan 9 status [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Mark A. Williamson wrote:

> I'm curious as to how your source for this port will be distributed...
> In fact, I don't know how the p9 source is managed - is it possible for
> you to get the port checked in to the main tree, or will it be available
> as a separate patch?

I have been told I can get it in. There will be issues as the Xen stuff is
-- I guess -- GPL and Plna 9 is not, so we're going to get into that
damned mess.

So I don't know how it will go.

ron

Re: plan 9 status [ In reply to ]

> I have been told I can get it in. There will be issues as the Xen stuff is
> -- I guess -- GPL and Plna 9 is not, so we're going to get into that
> damned mess.

So long as the source is not intermingled it shouldn't be an issue.

-Kip

Re: plan 9 status [ In reply to ]

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Mark A. Williamson wrote:
>
> > I'm curious as to how your source for this port will be distributed...
> > In fact, I don't know how the p9 source is managed - is it possible for
> > you to get the port checked in to the main tree, or will it be available
> > as a separate patch?
>
> I have been told I can get it in. There will be issues as the Xen stuff is
> -- I guess -- GPL and Plna 9 is not, so we're going to get into that
> damned mess.
>
> So I don't know how it will go.

Personally, I'm happy to relicense our 'unprivileged guest' drivers
under a BSD-style license. This would include at least the following
files that contain no Linux code:

linux-2.6.8.1-xen-sparse:
drivers/xen/netfront/*
drivers/xen/blkfront/*
drivers/xen/evtchn/*
drivers/console/*
arch/xen/i386/mm/hypervisor.c
arch/xen/kernel/ctrl_if.c
arch/xen/kernel/evtchn.c
include/asm-xen/ctrl_if.h
include/asm-xen/evtchn.h
include/asm-xen/hypervisor.h
include/asm-xen/multicall.h
include/asm-xen/suspend.h

I consider this the least we can do given the lack of documentation
that would allow OS porters to roll their own. :-)

There is the issue that there are bits and pieces of other people's
code in there as well --- e.g., Christian Limpach, Mike Wray, Mark
Williamson. But I don't foresee any problems.

-- Keir

Re: plan 9 status [ In reply to ]
I would've thought a (legally) efficient way of doing that would be to have a
library-set available under the LGPL, that call the GPL code and are called
by the non-GPLed guest OSes.

I'm not sure about the actual efficiency in terms of processor cycles, of such
an approach, but if it collocates the lawyers in the dogbox, which is where
they should be, instead of breathing down your neck, that should be an
acceptable trade.

Just my $0.02 (and it's very highly inflated of course!)

Wesley Parish

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:10, Keir Fraser wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Mark A. Williamson wrote:
> > > I'm curious as to how your source for this port will be distributed...
> > > In fact, I don't know how the p9 source is managed - is it possible for
> > > you to get the port checked in to the main tree, or will it be
> > > available as a separate patch?
> >
> > I have been told I can get it in. There will be issues as the Xen stuff
> > is -- I guess -- GPL and Plna 9 is not, so we're going to get into that
> > damned mess.
> >
> > So I don't know how it will go.
>
> Personally, I'm happy to relicense our 'unprivileged guest' drivers
> under a BSD-style license. This would include at least the following
> files that contain no Linux code:
>
> linux-2.6.8.1-xen-sparse:
> drivers/xen/netfront/*
> drivers/xen/blkfront/*
> drivers/xen/evtchn/*
> drivers/console/*
> arch/xen/i386/mm/hypervisor.c
> arch/xen/kernel/ctrl_if.c
> arch/xen/kernel/evtchn.c
> include/asm-xen/ctrl_if.h
> include/asm-xen/evtchn.h
> include/asm-xen/hypervisor.h
> include/asm-xen/multicall.h
> include/asm-xen/suspend.h
>
> I consider this the least we can do given the lack of documentation
> that would allow OS porters to roll their own. :-)
>
> There is the issue that there are bits and pieces of other people's
> code in there as well --- e.g., Christian Limpach, Mike Wray, Mark
> Williamson. But I don't foresee any problems.
>
> -- Keir

Wesley Parish
* * *
Clinersterton beademung - in all of love. RIP James Blish
* * *
Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"
Maku e ki, "He tangata, he tangata, he tangata."
I reply, "It is people, it is people, it is people."

Re: plan 9 status [ In reply to ]
No need for LGPL trickery as we are talking about separately licensing
files that contain only our code. We can do that as long as we take no
GPL code that is copyrighted by someone else.

The method you describe below for circumventing the GPL by adding an
'interface barrier' of LGPL code is certainly popular (I could
cite a number of examples). However, I don't believe it is permitted
by the GPL. :-) Linux permits it for binary-only drivers only because
Linus is prepared to suffer it.

Re: plan 9 status [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Keir Fraser wrote:

> Personally, I'm happy to relicense our 'unprivileged guest' drivers
> under a BSD-style license. This would include at least the following
> files that contain no Linux code:
>
> linux-2.6.8.1-xen-sparse:
> drivers/xen/netfront/*
> drivers/xen/blkfront/*
> drivers/xen/evtchn/*
> drivers/console/*
> arch/xen/i386/mm/hypervisor.c
> arch/xen/kernel/ctrl_if.c
> arch/xen/kernel/evtchn.c
> include/asm-xen/ctrl_if.h
> include/asm-xen/evtchn.h
> include/asm-xen/hypervisor.h
> include/asm-xen/multicall.h
> include/asm-xen/suspend.h

That would help.

I think it's a good idea.

thanks

ron

Re: plan 9 status [ In reply to ]
> There is the issue that there are bits and pieces of other people's
> code in there as well --- e.g., Christian Limpach, Mike Wray, Mark
> Williamson. But I don't foresee any problems.

Fine by me. The code I wrote really belongs to Intel but they BSD license
stuff anyhow, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Mark

Re: plan 9 status [ In reply to ]
I'll look into cleaning up / adding licensing notices to the
repository next week.

-- Keir

Re: plan 9 status [ In reply to ]
I have now amended the licensing terms for the files below, as noted
at the top of each file concerned. I also added a clarifying COPYING
file to the root of the repository.

Any files that you have derived solely from any version of the files
below are also subject to the new license (this also includes versions
you may have taken from within a different version of Linux, including
v2.4). I'd appreciate you adding the license text to the top of such
files though.

-- Keir