B.Tech Computer Engineering
CoEP
MyBlog <http://www.rohitsdamkondwar.wordpress.com>
Re: Error : libxenlight state driver is not active [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 01:39:58AM +0530, Rohit Damkondwar wrote:
> Hi all. I recently compiled xen 4.1.3 on Fedora 17(64 bit). The xen entry
> appears in the grub. Inspite of booting Fedora, with xen hypervisor entry
> , when I start virt-manager, I get an error
> " Internal Error : libxenlight state driver is not active "
>
> Can anyone help me on this?

Are you using xm/xend toolstack? is xend running? if yes, then configure libvirt to use xm/xend driver.

I wouldn't recommend using xl/libxl (libxenlight) in Xen 4.1.x, it was a tech preview there,
and it's more mature in Xen 4.2.x+

-- Pasi

Re: Error : libxenlight state driver is not active [ In reply to ]
Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 01:39:58AM +0530, Rohit Damkondwar wrote:
>
>> Hi all. I recently compiled xen 4.1.3 on Fedora 17(64 bit). The xen entry
>> appears in the grub. Inspite of booting Fedora, with xen hypervisor entry
>> , when I start virt-manager, I get an error
>> " Internal Error : libxenlight state driver is not active "
>>
>> Can anyone help me on this?
>>

> Are you using xm/xend toolstack? is xend running? if yes, then configure libvirt to use xm/xend driver.

FYI, there is no configuration knob in libvirt for selecting the legacy
xen driver (primarily xend-based) vs the libxl driver. Assuming both
drivers are included in your libvirt installation, libvirtd will load
the legacy driver if xend is running, otherwise load the libxl driver.
Changing the configured xen toolstack requires a libvirtd restart.

> I wouldn't recommend using xl/libxl (libxenlight) in Xen 4.1.x, it was a tech preview there,
> and it's more mature in Xen 4.2.x+

Agreed. You will need libvirt >= 1.0.1 to work with Xen 4.2.x libxl.
And recall that the libxl driver is missing some functionality wrt the
legacy xend driver, e.g. migration.

Regards,
Jim

Re: Error : libxenlight state driver is not active [ In reply to ]
Problem solved. xend was not started. Also there was some configuration
errors in xend-config. The main problem was inability of virt-manager to
connect to xen hypervisor. Now it connects somehow. Thankyou all.

--
Rohit S Damkondwar