Mailing List Archive

I am offering a reward of USD$100 to anyone who could solve my Xen VGA Passthrough problem
_History_

I have 100% success in Xen VGA Passthrough with Xen 3.5-unstable with my
first Palit NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS VGA card in 2009, which is 3 years
ago. Then my first Palit NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS VGA card overheated and
malfunctioned. So I bought a 2nd Palit NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS VGA card
several months ago in March 2012 for S$44, to replace the first card. At
that point in time, Xen was already of version 4.2-unstable. I have
tried to passthrough my 2nd Palit NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS, which is only
partially working, or partial success. _In Windows 8 HVM domU, you will
see a yellow triangle with exclamation mark and error code 43 in Device
Manager for the 2nd Palit NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS. In Windows XP Home
Edition HVM domU, you will see a yellow circle with exclamation mark and
error code 10 in Device Manager for the 2nd Palit NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS._

Then I noticed Jean David Techer uses a Geforce 560 Ti for his Xen VGA
Passthrough. So 1-2 weeks ago I bought a EVGA Geforce GTX 560 1 GB GDDR5
for S$269. Same thing. Xen VGA Passthrough is only partially working or
partial success. So I went back to the computer shop and exchanged my
EVGA Geforce GTX 560 with a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 560 1 GB GDDR5, which
costs S$289. Again, Xen VGA Passthrough is only partially working or
partial success. _In Windows 8 HVM domU, you will see a yellow triangle
with exclamation mark and error code 43 in Device Manager for the
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 560. In Windows XP Home Edition HVM domU, you will
see a yellow circle with exclamation mark and error code 10 in Device
Manager for the Gigabyte Geforce GTX 560._

_The Challenge_

My computer hardware specifications:

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core E2300 @ 2.8 GHz
Motherboard: Intel DQ45CB Desktop Board with VT-d enabled
VGA Card: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 560 1 GB GDDR5
Memory: 6 GB

My computer software specifications:

Host operating system: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS SERVER EDITION
Xen Hypervisor version: (a) Xen 4.2-unstable Changeset 25099 (b) Xen
4.2.1-pre (c) Xen 4.3-unstable Changeset 25993
Linux Dom0 Kernel: (a) 3.5.4 (b) 3.6.0-rc7 (c) 3.6.1
Windows HVM domU: (a) Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (b) Windows 8 Release
Preview 64-bit (c) Windows 7 Ultimate Evaluation Copy

Manuals which I have followed in getting Xen VGA Passthrough done:

(1)
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Building_and_Installing_Xen_4.x_and_Linux_Kernel_3.x_on_Ubuntu_and_Debian_Linux

(2)
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough_to_Windows_8_with_Xen_4.2-unstable

The above 2 are manuals which I have written myself, after studying
several Xen Wiki Pages and Jean David Techer's notes.

Now, the above 2 manuals are the same manuals which I have used to
obtain 100% success in Xen VGA Passthrough for Frank Lyon's NVIDIA
Quadro 6000. Yes, 100% success. Absolutely no yellow triangle with
exclamation mark and error code 43 in Windows 7 and Windows 8 HVM domU.
It is an irony and a joke that, with the same set of manuals which I
have written, I cannot get 100% success in Xen VGA Passthrough with my
very own display cards. Frank Lyon's NVIDIA Quadro 6000 costs S$6000++,
and I can't afford it.

So now, the problem stands. I get a yellow triangle with exclamation
mark and error code 43 in device manager for Gigabyte Geforce GTX 560 in
Windows 8 HVM domU and a yellow circle with exclamation mark and error
code 10 in device manager for Gigabyte Geforce GTX 560 in Windows XP
Home Edition HVM domU.

_The Reward__or Prize Money_

1. USD$100 in cash

_How to Get the Reward_

If I can say that you have solved my Xen VGA Passthrough problem 100%,
you get the reward! Basically, the idea is to get rid of the yellow
triangle with exclamation mark and error code 43 in Windows 8 HVM domU
and the yellow circle with exclamation mark and error code 10 in Windows
XP HVM domU.

Hence,

(1) If you can tell me off-hand the solution which leads to my Xen VGA
Passthrough problem being solved 100%, you get the reward. OR

(2) You have spotted mistakes or errors in the manuals which I have
written, leading to my Xen VGA Passthrough problem being solved 100%.
You get the reward. OR

(3) If you have a VT-d capable motherboard and processor, and a
compatible NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560 like mine, and follow the 2 manuals
which I have written for your Xen VGA Passthrough needs. If you can
obtain 100% success, please tell me the mistakes or errors in my
manuals, which leads to my Xen VGA Passthrough problem being solved
100%. You get the reward.

*_100% success means no error code 43 and no error code 10._*

For a start, you may follow the thread series "*Help Needed from Xen
Developers: Nasty Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Mark and Error Code
43 in Device Manager in Windows 8 HVM domU
<http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-10/msg00664.html>" in
the xen-users and xen-devel mailing lists.*

Please note that the prize money of US$100 is guaranteed and there is
only one winner. There is no closing date for this challenge.

--
Yours sincerely,

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
Singapore